Sponsored

The New 2017 ZL1 Camaro

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The $62,135 includes a Gas Guzzler Tax estimate already. I'm sure the estimate is between $1600 and $2600. Unless the brackets have changed.

There has been a $1000 reduction to the LT and SS Convertibles MSRP. Both models MSRP had just been increased by $605. I believe some models, like the Vert, were more.

The MSRP is exactly the same as 2016's now I think.

If the ZL1LE program doesn't shift sales up another 1000-1500 a month, it could be THE straw. The ZL1LE program was not cheap... and, the 1Le is the next step for the Base SS, or what should have been the 1SS. The ZL1 needs to sell...
Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The 10 speed automatic option for the '17 ZL1 could potentially be pushed back to Model Year 2018. As of now, the A10 was intended to experience a 6-8 month delay for Software reprogramming. thePill reported very early on that Air Flow into the fascia was becoming an issue, even at the SS level with 3 radiators. GM has implemented changes to the LT4 such as a higher engine cap. The Z06 has actual cooling system upgrades being worked on but the fix is not compatible with the Camaro's 3 radiator system.

No doubt the manual will run hot and it is likely it will pull timing and Heatsoak. However, the A10's mismanagement of heat due to keeping in the optimal rev range was a much larger issue.

But, rumor is that GM is not satisfied with the software changes. In order to manage heat, the A10's shift points were reduced to keep RPM's lower, causing less heat. That can be done BUT, initial "simulations" suggest that the ZL1 won't live up to the already claimed 1/4 mile time and 0-60. In fact, we will ALL get an opportunity to confirm this IF the ZL1 can't reach 60mph is 1st gear ;)

Anyway, big trouble with the A10 and more trouble with sales. The A10 might be pushed to MY18 and it will reduce sales expectations by 70-80%. Hard to justify a product like that especially when target production is around 5000-10,000 annually.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Why did Chevy go from hype to silence on the 2017 zl1?

1.) Airflow and cooling issues required new software programming. GM WILL NOT confirm this because it could drive customers away. Again, it is a cooling issue with the LT4/A10 combo.

2.) All of the performance boast were based on the A10 :( Right now, it is doubtful the initial performance figures will stick. It is likely GM won't change them anyway (see 2012 ZL1 delay).

The A10 was an addition to the original ZL1LE Program. On top of the reprogramming, addional funding is required as well as new emissions and MPG testing. They may need to wait for MY18.

The manual zl1 also has issues but they are not potentially fatal like the A10 issue.

Thanks for reading...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Convertible zl1 is also delayed until Q2 2017???

Remember when thePill complained about chassis flex? Well... looks like the Camaro's Alpha cannot handle the torsion :(

New sub-frame connectors are being designed. Don't expect a GT500 to have a convertible at all due to the same issues at 800hp. The Alpha is more trouble than it was worth. The increase to 110.7 inches from 109.3 was a bad one.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The 10 speed automatic option for the '17 ZL1 could potentially be pushed back to Model Year 2018. As of now, the A10 was intended to experience a 6-8 month delay for Software reprogramming. thePill reported very early on that Air Flow into the fascia was becoming an issue, even at the SS level with 3 radiators. GM has implemented changes to the LT4 such as a higher engine cap. The Z06 has actual cooling system upgrades being worked on but the fix is not compatible with the Camaro's 3 radiator system.

No doubt the manual will run hot and it is likely it will pull timing and Heatsoak. However, the A10's mismanagement of heat due to keeping in the optimal rev range was a much larger issue.

But, rumor is that GM is not satisfied with the software changes. In order to manage heat, the A10's shift points were reduced to keep RPM's lower, causing less heat. That can be done BUT, initial "simulations" suggest that the ZL1 won't live up to the already claimed 1/4 mile time and 0-60. In fact, we will ALL get an opportunity to confirm this IF the ZL1 can't reach 60mph is 1st gear ;)

Anyway, big trouble with the A10 and more trouble with sales. The A10 might be pushed to MY18 and it will reduce sales expectations by 70-80%. Hard to justify a product like that especially when target production is around 5000-10,000 annually.
I don't think it will be to long before the new GT 500 trumps the zl1. anyway

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The 1LE did not reach its 230lbs weight loss goal. The meat and potatoes that were removed had to be put back in.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/che...nt/Pages/news/us/en/2016/aug/0808-camaro.html

The ZL1 was projected to lose 220lbs in the same report released August 8th. Many things have changed since then ;)

The 1LE had emergency reinforcement added to it sometime in August. The same reinforcement that made the 1LE weigh 100lbs more than they projected, is the same metal that delayed the Convertible ZL1.

A great deal of structural support was removed from the Alpha platform under the Camaro. Enough to demand instant reinforcement of the structure and missing the target curb weight. The ZL1 will need to put in even more weight than initially thought. High performance Alpha cars are gaining major weight at the end of their initial marketing cycle. thePill reported the ATS-V's need to reinforce the structure... the 1LE is using the ZL1 bracing no doubt.

Zebra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GT500
Emergency reinforcement?? Really LOL

Sponsored

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Emergency reinforcement?? Really LOL
The guy lives to hate on anything camaro and is disliked on almost every forum I am a part of.

Just take whatever he post with a grain of salt.

I am sure he will have a book to post when the first ZL1 blows his doors off about why this and why that. No one cares.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
The guy lives to hate on anything camaro and is disliked on almost every forum I am a part of.

Just take whatever he post with a grain of salt.

I am sure he will have a book to post when the first ZL1 blows his doors off about why this and why that. No one cares.
Why is thepill not entitled to his opinion and you and others are? So what if he's against camaros. This is after all a mustang forum. Don't tell me the clowns on the Camaro forum don't hate on the mustang. We already have some Camaro guys on this forum because they say the Camaro guys are worse over there.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Why is thepill not entitled to his opinion and you and others are? So what if he's against camaros. This is after all a mustang forum. Don't tell me the clowns on the Camaro forum don't hate on the mustang. We already have some Camaro guys on this forum because they say the Camaro guys are worse over there.
There are definitely some over there that hate everything Mustang. But there is no one over there compared to Plan B.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
There are definitely some over there that hate everything Mustang. But there is no one over there compared to Plan B.
Plan B?

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
Think he meant "Plan P"

I think personal opinions make the forums more entertaining regardless if they are supported by facts, love or hate.
Sponsored