Sponsored

Car started SMOKING, then bucking a little, now wrench light...

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
Without wanting to go down the rabbit hole, of every potential nuance that suddenly becomes the rule instead of the exception. I think you'll be fine.

but I understand the anxiety
Sponsored

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
40mph at normal throttle % is probably like 2000rpm so that pressure seems fine.

As far as the mysterious dipstick reading, is the car just sitting at an angle? That would be my first guess, lol. There's no other way to get that result. If it were low it wouldn't show up on the stick at all, at least I would think.
No. I just checked its not normal. Mine hovers 70-75 cruising light throttle at that speed. Verified with 2 of my friends. Tom and others are right talking about the oil level

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
No. I just checked its not normal. Mine hovers 70-75 cruising light throttle at that speed. Verified with 2 of my friends. Tom and others are right talking about the oil level
I might have been off the throttle when I took that pic, honestly can't remember at this point. They've had the car for a day and a half now - haven't heard anything from them yet.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Another good reason to never buy one of these cars used.

Just wow.

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
I might have been off the throttle when I took that pic, honestly can't remember at this point. They've had the car for a day and a half now - haven't heard anything from them yet.
Even off throttle. Should only be down there at idle

Sponsored

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
UPDATE: The service advisor texted me and said the tech says the transmission cooler went bad and they ordered a new one.

seems like this has happened to a bunch of people, and makes sense based on where the leaks were on my garage floor:

https://www.fordgt500.com/threads/transmission-cooler-failure.204502/
And you are OK with your transmission being run dry for miles?

The transmission cooler is in the front of your car below the radiator.

Still make sense?

Last edited:
OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
And you are OK with your transmission being run dry for miles?

The transmission cooler is in the front of your car below the radiator.

Still make sense?
So Tom, how would you approach the dealer on this? Is there a way for them to try and say there was no damage to the trans?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I would tell them that you drove this thing for miles without fluid, to the point that the car was bucking and started throwing codes. The transmission is ruined. Stand up for yourself and demand a new transmission.

Now what about the oil? Are they going to cover up their mistake on that one? It has been a known problem that dealers underservice GT350's and GT500's because the fill them to GT quantities.

There is no way your dipstick should have looked like that. That in itself is the most alarming. Your trans is trashed. Sure, you could maybe top it up after repairing the leak, but rest assured it is damaged and life has been taken off of that thing running it dry like that (if it still works).

Their defect caused this situation and you should not accept damaged goods.

As for your oil situation, I mean WTF, over?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
They should be draining the transmission and flushing the system as part of the service And diagnostic. It should be noted how much fluid was left in the transmission if any at all. Just ask.

UPDATE: The service advisor texted me and said the tech says the transmission cooler went bad and they ordered a new one.

seems like this has happened to a bunch of people, and makes sense based on where the leaks were on my garage floor:

https://www.fordgt500.com/threads/transmission-cooler-failure.204502/

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
...pretty sure the DCTs are $20k
...15K plus whatever it takes to install it, so lets call it 18K bill.
I inquired this afternoon. As of today, 4/09/2024, Ford dealer list price for a 2020-2022 GT500 DCT is $12,664. I didn't ask about a core charge but I'm pretty sure there's that to consider as well.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I still say if it's under warranty and a major component has a failure, it is best to let it destroy itself. Takes away any opportunity for a half assed fix.

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
I would simply approach the person in charge. And just find a nice way to explain your concern about further damage having resulted from the cooler failure.

I wouldn't go in all fire and brimstone at first and demand things (at first) I have had a few circumstances over the decades similar to this. Reasonable people usually come to reasonable outcomes. If you don't think its reasonable then raise holly hell 😂

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I knew when I saw the title it would be DCT. This is why I didn't buy one, and why I didn't buy a 350, but love them both. I hope Ford gets it fixed for you.
Do what??

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I would tell them that you drove this thing for miles without fluid, to the point that the car was bucking and started throwing codes. The transmission is ruined. Stand up for yourself and demand a new transmission.

Now what about the oil? Are they going to cover up their mistake on that one? It has been a known problem that dealers underservice GT350's and GT500's because the fill them to GT quantities.

There is no way your dipstick should have looked like that. That in itself is the most alarming. Your trans is trashed. Sure, you could maybe top it up after repairing the leak, but rest assured it is damaged and life has been taken off of that thing running it dry like that (if it still works).

Their defect caused this situation and you should not accept damaged goods.

As for your oil situation, I mean WTF, over?

ROFL relax.

The repair will be documented and OP will have history to lean on if/when the trans ultimately fails (unlikely).
Sponsored