Sponsored

Car started SMOKING, then bucking a little, now wrench light...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
ROFL relax.

The repair will be documented and OP will have history to lean on if/when the trans ultimately fails (unlikely).
and after that? Are you saying the trans wouldn't be damaged driving around for miles without fluid? My thoughts are get it done right the first time. Getting it right should be a new trans, not a half ass band-aid.
Sponsored

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
I check my oil probably every couple hundred miles. It's a $30k engine, no point not to take the 1 minute it takes to do it regularly, imo. Doesn't use a drop though, compared to my coyotes that were....lets just say thirsty.
Odd. I've had 2 Gen 2 coyotes and now have a Gen 3. They don't use oil.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
and after that? Are you saying the trans wouldn't be damaged driving around for miles without fluid? My thoughts are get it done right the first time. Getting it right should be a new trans, not a half ass band-aid.

I don't agree that the trans had 0 fluid. Extremely low, yes obviously.

The only thing to worry about would be clutches and until you see those in person, it is impossible to assert what is "getting it done right".

Unless he was in the middle of beating the shit out of the car (doesn't sound like that was the case) there will be 0 damage to gear sets, synchros, bearings, seals, or any other hard parts.

Even when the trans is extremely low on fluid -- literally every part inside is still covered in oil.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't agree that the trans had 0 fluid. Extremely low, yes obviously.

The only thing to worry about would be clutches and until you see those in person, it is impossible to assert what is "getting it done right".

Unless he was in the middle of beating the shit out of the car (doesn't sound like that was the case) there will be 0 damage to gear sets, synchros, bearings, seals, or any other hard parts.

Even when the trans is extremely low on fluid -- literally every part inside is still covered in oil.
The car was described as bucking and smoking. If the trans cooler was the culprit, there would be no fluid hitting any kind of heat source that would cause smoke because the trans cooler is in the front of the vehicle below the radiatior. If it was the DCT supply and return lines near the exhaust, I could understand your initial position. However, there was more than just smoke. Since the ford dealership stated it was the transmission cooler leaking, then where did the smoke come from?

First of all, I think the ford techs got it wrong. For there to be smoke there would have to be fluid hitting a very hot source or the transmission itself got very hot. Most likely, the problem is the return and/or supply lines that had a crack (as per the known problem as stated in a TSB) or one of the lines came loose enough to dump a boat load of fluid.

There is no other way to explain it. The trans ran dry enough to exhibit bucking and indications of damage.

I had a very long conversation with Tremec over a similar issue. Under much more mild conditions, it was a coin toss whether the trans in question was damaged. There is no doubt in my mind that the trans in this situation is damaged. Sure, throw some fluid in the thing and send the customer off on his merry way. That is the wrong thing to do here.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The car was described as bucking and smoking. If the trans cooler was the culprit, there would be no fluid hitting any kind of heat source that would cause smoke because the trans cooler is in the front of the vehicle below the radiatior. If it was the DCT supply and return lines near the exhaust, I could understand your initial position. However, there was more than just smoke. Since the ford dealership stated it was the transmission cooler leaking, then where did the smoke come from?

First of all, I think the ford techs got it wrong. For there to be smoke there would have to be fluid hitting a very hot source or the transmission itself got very hot. Most likely, the problem is the return and/or supply lines that had a crack (as per the known problem as stated in a TSB) or one of the lines came loose enough to dump a boat load of fluid.

There is no other way to explain it. The trans ran dry enough to exhibit bucking and indications of damage.

I had a very long conversation with Tremec over a similar issue. Under much more mild conditions, it was a coin toss whether the trans in question was damaged. There is no doubt in my mind that the trans in this situation is damaged. Sure, throw some fluid in the thing and send the customer off on his merry way. That is the wrong thing to do here.

I guess the only point Im making is its impossible to know unless the trans is torn down and assessed.

To me -- if it was my car -- considering how little I trust anyone with my shit other than me -- there is no way im letting some 19 y/o "service tech" swap a trans in my $100k Mustang.

That said I understand different folks have different levels of competency at their home garage so IDK... Best of luck to OP I guess!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Ford just wants it to last the rest of the warranty period. By filling it with fluid it probably will. I'd want a new trans.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Not completely accurate. I’ve had issue’s that happened while under warranty that manifested in to worse after the warranty expired and got them covered. Dealer relationship does make a difference in this regard I’m Sure. Not disagreeing that I’d want a new tranny as well.

Ford just wants it to last the rest of the warranty period. By filling it with fluid it probably will. I'd want a new trans.

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Guys, thanks for the advice, it's hard to keep up with all the replies! I have the car back, here's the update. I had them do an oil change and the prior level was fine. I'm going to check my oil in the same spot as I did last time, tomorrow morning. As someone said, maybe there's a bit of slope in my garage.

The tech said the cooler "split on half." He also replaced the DCT oil, paperwork lists 6 quarts. It was raining so I didn't get on it, but I did take it for a reasonable drive and it seems fine. I'm taking it to the backroads this weekend. If the transmission has any issues at all, its's going straight back to the dealer. The tech did confirm there's a lengthly back order on the DCTs, and that would be tough since this is my only car at the moment.

Hopefully I can get out for a spirited ride mid-morning tomorrow and update you guys on how it's running and what the oil level shows.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
To me -- if it was my car -- considering how little I trust anyone with my shit other than me -- there is no way im letting some 19 y/o "service tech" swap a trans in my $100k Mustang.
Almost no 19 year olds are mainline service techs. They give the expensive cars to techs they trust and have experience. Swapping a trans in these cars isn't very hard either.

I would be more worried if you had a headgasket fail on an EcoBoost and you have to hope your tech gives a shit to properly measure the valve lash for the camshaft buckets. That takes a lot of time and I could see a lazy tech skip measuring it properly.

The great news is if for some reason they do mess up, its on the dealership.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Except if it fails out of warranty...
I think I'd be asking for an extended drivetrain warrantee (or even just the trans covered- 10yrs/100K) if not being replaced. BARE minimum, is they split the cost on one, with you.
Sponsored