Sponsored

Car started SMOKING, then bucking a little, now wrench light...

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
Im concerned as well about the oil pressure in first pic. I see you were doing around 40ish, but cant see RPM. IMO, I think cruising at that speed you should be up around 90ish PSI

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Looks like it's the transmission
Glad you figured out the source of the leak, Tom, but sorry about the leak and gearbox. HOPEFULLY, your dealer will do the right thing and replace it. The other Tom (@Tomster,) knows this car inside and out, (think the best tech in town,) and I for one would absolutely, positively follow his advice and demand a new one.

The relatively low "full" level of of the oil is SO much more important in this transmission than any others I know and because of that and, because you obviously lost a fairly large amount of it with the leak, I'm quite sure Tom is correct when he says the box is trashed.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Glad you figured out the source of the leak, Tom, but sorry about the leak and gearbox. HOPEFULLY, your dealer will do the right thing and replace it. The other Tom (@Tomster,) knows this car inside and out, (think the best tech in town,) and I for one would absolutely, positively follow his advice and demand a new one.

The relatively low "full" level of of the oil is SO much more important in this transmission than any others I know and because of that and, because you obviously lost a fairly large amount of it with the leak, I'm quite sure Tom is correct when he says the box is trashed.
I still would like to know what's up with the oil. Who's been doing the oil changes? Did the OP verify oil level after service? If you've been running around with not enough oil in the engine, that may be trashed too. If a dealer did this, it's on them. If you did this, it's on the op.

So let's see, 18k for a trans, and 30k for an engine.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well the lack of a reply sort of says it all. This guy has some serious problems ahead of him.

My guess is someone changed the oil and didn't put enough back in. (1qt per cylinder rule maybe). I hope it was the dealer who did that and not the op.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I just got back from work which is why I haven't been able to reply. To be honest, the dealer changed the oil before I purchased it, around 5k miles, and it now has about 11k. So yes I realize I'm a bit overdue and the oil change light came on recently, but the engine was running perfectly and I doubt I'd be able to drive it that hard on the backroads and not know it was short on oil. The engine was running in top form, no warnings, no high temps, no hesitations or going into limp mode.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I just got back from work which is why I haven't been able to reply. To be honest, the dealer changed the oil before I purchased it, around 5k miles, and it now has about 11k. So yes I realize I'm a bit overdue and the oil change light came on recently, but the engine was running perfectly and I doubt I'd be able to drive it that hard on the backroads and not know it was short on oil. The engine was running in top form, no warnings, no high temps, no hesitations or going into limp mode.
Did you ever check the oil level since it was changed? I hope it was a ford dealer.

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
I knew when I saw the title it would be DCT. This is why I didn't buy one, and why I didn't buy a 350, but love them both. I hope Ford gets it fixed for you.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Im concerned as well about the oil pressure in first pic. I see you were doing around 40ish, but cant see RPM. IMO, I think cruising at that speed you should be up around 90ish PSI
40mph at normal throttle % is probably like 2000rpm so that pressure seems fine.

As far as the mysterious dipstick reading, is the car just sitting at an angle? That would be my first guess, lol. There's no other way to get that result. If it were low it wouldn't show up on the stick at all, at least I would think.

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
pretty sure the DCTs are $20k
After having owned a Ford focus with a DCT as a commuter car. I've been scarred away from DCT's for life. Right turn on red was never a safe option.šŸ˜‚ They eventually lemoned the car.

18k fking hurts

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
That was a getrag, the 500 is tremec. Not the same animals.

After having owned a Ford focus with a DCT as a commuter car. I've been scarred away from DCT's for life. Right turn on red was never a safe option.šŸ˜‚ They eventually lemoned the car.

18k fking hurts

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
If I was a dealer, I'd have my techs check the threads............. Might be a good idea to delete this thread, especially those roasted tires.

Good Luck!

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
40mph at normal throttle % is probably like 2000rpm so that pressure seems fine.

As far as the mysterious dipstick reading, is the car just sitting at an angle? That would be my first guess, lol. There's no other way to get that result. If it were low it wouldn't show up on the stick at all, at least I would think.
is it possible that the oil level is below able to register BUT there is enough oil on the wall the diptube being transferred to the dipstick (which is not centered in the tube)? a long shot it but would fit the scenario.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
As for the dipstick, I'm guessing the car is very low on oil. If it wasn't, then at least the lower hole of the dipstick should have oil in it. Guessing why only one side has oil showing, is that there's some oil in the dipstick tube, that rubbing off on the dipstick as you pull it out. The oil being on the bottom curve of the tube. The engine oil could be very low, but while driving, some splashes up the tube, and drips down onto the curved part.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Why? The dealer gets paid to service the vehicle, not send techs on fishing expeditions. Iā€™m gonna ask my buddy thatā€™s a master tech for ford. He should have a doosie of a resonse for that.

If I was a dealer, I'd have my techs check the threads............. Might be a good idea to delete this thread, especially those roasted tires.

Good Luck!
Sponsored