Sponsored

Car started SMOKING, then bucking a little, now wrench light...

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Hey guys I'm having a problem with my 2021 GT500. I was just heading to the grocery store and started her up, and it ran a little rough for about 10 seconds or so, just sputtering, and then it was fine. As I get to the store, I start seeing smoke come from the hood. As soon as I turned the car off it stopped, but I could smell what seemed to be burning oil (not sure, but a burning smell). I let it sit for a few minutes and then decided I'd move it to another part of the lot, away from other cars. When I started it, some smoke came out of the tailpipes but not the engine, so I decided to try and limp it home (3 miles). It was doing fine but started a mild bucking, noticed it more when the car downshifted. Then as I'm getting home the yellow wrench light came with the "see manual" message. No other warning light or temp warnings came on at any point, nothing. Then when I pull in the garage, I opened the hood (still no smoking) I noticed what appears to be a fresh leak of some sort on the garage floor. It was wet, not dry and I don't recall noticing it before. It was on both sides of the car, where the engine would be. Guys, any idea of what the issue might be? I'll attach a few pics of the gauges and the puddle. Any advice or talking me off the ledge would be much appreciated! LOL

IMG_1295 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1296 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1297 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1298 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1299 Medium.jpeg
Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has to be coolant right? Taste it. Bet it isn't oil unless you have like 200 miles on that oil change

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
So I smelled it, didn't really smell like anything, but it was clear, not oil. Wouldn't a coolant leak send the temps up though? Here is a pic of the coolant tanks, and also the oil dipstick. Looks like the oil level is ok but only one side had an oil marks on it. Is that normal?

IMG_1302 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1306 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1307 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1301 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1309 Medium.jpeg

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Do you have a scan tool to pull the codes? If not forscan and a laptop will work. Assuming you might have an ob2 connector.

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Do you have a scan tool to pull the codes? If not forscan and a laptop will work. Assuming you might have an ob2 connector.
Unfortunately I don't have a scanner or the ob2 connector. Autzone is less than a mile away but I don't want to chance moving this thing. So does the oil level look ok in your opinion? Luckily this thing is still under warranty lol...

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Pics can be deceiving at times but it looks fine. If you had an issue with oil(very low) you’d hear pretty distinct mechanical noise. Burning oil and coolant are very different smells. Even to those not being around it much there easy to distinguish. Coolant is sweet smelling. Being under warranty I wouldn’t worry to much. It does suck but stuff happens. Hope you have a decent dealer to take it to. They should send a flatbed, I wouldn’t drive it. No need to hurt it any more then already is and they’ll pick up the tab for that no issue’s. Sorry not much help without hearing it and being able to poke around.
Side note: Even if your not mechanically inclined(not assuming), picking up an inexpensive scan tool off of Amazon or wherever is a good idea. A quick code read can be helpful at times. Even if it’s only for better piece of mind.

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner or the ob2 connector. Autzone is less than a mile away but I don't want to chance moving this thing. So does the oil level look ok in your opinion? Luckily this thing is still under warranty lol...

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Pics can be deceiving at times but it looks fine. If you had an issue with oil(very low) you’d hear pretty distinct mechanical noise. Burning oil and coolant are very different smells. Even to those not being around it much there easy to distinguish. Coolant is sweet smelling. Being under warranty I wouldn’t worry to much. It does suck but stuff happens. Hope you have a decent dealer to take it to. They should send a flatbed, I wouldn’t drive it. No need to hurt it any more then already is and they’ll pick up the tab for that no issue’s. Sorry not much help without hearing it and being able to poke around.
Side note: Even if your not mechanically inclined(not assuming), picking up an inexpensive scan tool off of Amazon or wherever is a good idea. A quick code read can be helpful at times. Even if it’s only for better piece of mind.
Thanks for the advice! Through Amazon I can get a scanner delivered tomorrow. Would something like this be good:

Foxwell Scanner

Last edited:
OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Thanks Charlie! I'll post the code(s) tomorrow.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If it's not your engine oil or coolant, what's left near that location.... DCT fluid is my guess. When you drag your shoe across it, is it slippery? Without more info, it's just a guess. There was a problem and I believe a TSB with DCT lines leaking or coming loose. See what the codes come back with and go from there.

Don't start or drive the car until you know what the problem is and it is corrected. If it is DCT fluid (clear and smells like pussy), then the only way to check that your trans is full is to jack the car up in the air and level, and remove the fill plug and pump fluid until it's full. If a line came loose and dumped all your fluid, the trans is probably shot. My guess is the fluid contacted your exhaust pipe and that is what caused the smoke. You are lucky it didn't catch on fire.

Let us know what you find out

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Oh, and I know you said you were going to the grocery store, but if you have ever tracked your 500, and there are any tracks stickers or any evidence of track use, make sure you remove any such evidence before sending it to the dealer.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Looking at your dipstick again, that's odd. Check it again and see what you find.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I would get it up on ramps and be checking the underside for any oil leaks…

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Hey guys just checked the dipstick again and found the same thing. One side shows oil, the other side is more or less dry:

IMG_1312 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1313 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1314 Medium.jpeg
Sponsored