Sponsored

Is a Mach 1 the right decision for me? (Answered!)

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Oh, I didn't know that!

Just checked the price lists of the EU Mach1, the cruise control is actually not adaptive!

That's really stupid.
I'm already annoyed that I have to retrofit the BLIS to the EU Bullitt...

That's a tough decision then.
Maybe look for a RTR GT or Steeda Bullitt?
The lack of adaptive cruise control is the only difference in electronics, and that was because the Mach 1 front bumper is different and couldn't accommodate the sensor.

Hardly a deal breaker for me, especially with a manual transmission.
Sponsored

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
It really depends on personal preferences.
@Hurricane can obviously live without it.

I use the Bullitt for commuting (1h each way) and traveling, which is more pleasant with ACC.
Unfortunately, there are too many people who are not able to drive at a constant pace.
It is also pleasant with MT, because the drivetrain can be driven shift lazy. And if someone is too annoying, you can overtake without much effort.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
Funny you mention the Bullitt. If my budget was lower, say $40 or 50k, I would almost definitely be getting one. Other than the MT-82, there's a lot I love about that car.

It's so crazy you said that. I literally did a search a couple weeks ago for "is a Corvette an old man's car" just to see what other people think. In the end, the consensus was that it's not really an old man's car so much as it's a car for people who can afford it and don't need more than 2 seats in a vehicle. People in their 20's and 30's would likely love to own one, but either don't make enough money in their job or they have a family and need to haul more than 2 people around. I may be only 43, but I've always considered myself an "old soul" anyway, so the stigma around the Corvette being an old man car doesn't really bother me too much. I mean, what vehicle doesn't have some sort of wacky stereotype attached to it?

Corvette: old man car
Mustang: out-of-control crowd-killer
BMW: driver is a pretentious a-hole (my wife drives one, and she is anything but pretentious)
Mercury/Buick/Oldsmobile: owner is 90 years old and can barely see over the wheel
Civic: noisy cricket rice-burner (I once owned a '97 EX coupe and can confirm this)
Camaro: driven by mullet-sporting wife-beaters
Jacked-up Truck: deer-hunting redneck mobile
:crackup:

I'm a programmer by trade. Been doing that as a profession for 20-years. Therefore, I have a tendency to analyze the hell out of everything, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. I literally have a document on my computer that has the specs for every car I've been considering, along with a bulleted list of my personal pros and cons for each, detailed down to even how much insurance and new tires would cost. I can happily report that the Mach 1 legitimately wins out on paper (for my needs/desires) against a GT350, C7 Vette, Jaguar F-Type R, Challenger Scat Pack, and a BMW M2/M4.

You know, even if I found a '19 or '20 GT350 with low miles that cost the exact same as a Mach 1, I think in terms of practicality and my own real needs, I'd probably still get the Mach. A GT350 costs much more for me to insure, despite being 2 or 3 model years older than the Mach 1. Plus, as a daily driver, I would barely ever get to reach that magical 8,000+ RPM range that the Voodoo engine works best at. The lower end oomph and reliability of the Coyote serves my purposes much better.
I want to know if your better half actually uses the turn signals.

RoGCobraRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
There's definitely a HUGE benefit to being able to tell people you drive a Shelby, Bullitt, Mach 1. You tell people you drive a GT, doesn't matter that it's a premium, with more bells and whistles than an Audi or a BMW, and your specific one could be supercharged and have a ton of suspension work and would put any of the named cars to shame. People still act like you just said you drive a Corolla lol
A base C7 would be in the same category I would think,or the z51 for that matter. Unless it's a zo6 of course. I'm no vette owner but I'd bet the enthusiast crowd frowns on base ones

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
NFN, but the Gen 4 82 series trans with a fluid change and either a properly mounted shifter or a Steeda mount transforms the transmission and shifting.

I didn't find it bad out of the box except when shifting AT redline for 1-2 or 2-3 but the tail mounted shifter with the crappy Ford bracket and bushing set it up for failure. They freaking use CVT trans oil! If you have an M82, get the BG https://www.opmustang.com/store/p4/...II_Synthetic_Gear_Oil_-_MT82_Kit_.html.html#/

You are welcome.

Wish Ford had pulled its head out of its @$$ and put the Tremec in the Bullitt, but the simple changes above work wonders.

OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
I want to know if your better half actually uses the turn signals.
She does use the turn signals on her Beemer, and scoffs pretentiously at those who don't! 🤣

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
She does use the turn signals on her Beemer, and scoffs pretentiously at those who don't! 🤣
So tomorrow's the big day... we are waiting in suspense! Did you get to test drive a C7? Did you buy the Mach?

OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
I can give you my experience, as someone who came directly from a C7 to my new Mach 1:

I had a C7 Stingray and then a C7 Grand Sport (which I sold and moved to a 2022 GT and then a 23 Mach 1)

[...]

To sum it up, if choosing a daily driver & it was just for me, I would have to think about it but the decision would still be hard.

If strictly for a "fun" weekend/part-time car then I probably would go with the C7.

If practicality is a factor then the Mach 1 would be an easy choice for me.
Thanks so much for all this feedback. It was REALLY helpful! The low ride height and ground clearance of the Vette is a big concern of mine too. I think I do prefer the slightly taller ride and stance of the Mustang. I drive kids around literally never, so the Mustang back seat will be used purely for storage. It gets a +1 point for having a traditional trunk as well too. And if more storage is needed, the back seats fold down, so there's that.

Tomorrow will tell for sure which one is for me.

So tomorrow's the big day... we are waiting in suspense! Did you get to test drive a C7? Did you buy the Mach?
I did drive a Mach 1 last Friday, but it wasn't spec'ed out how I want. The one I'm driving tomorrow is set up just how I want it. I talked to the sales manager again this morning and he still had it. He's calling me in the morning before I leave on my 2-hour drive to let me know 100% if it's still there.

I also found a manual transmission 2019 C7 coupe with the Z51 handling pack and the 3LT equipment group just down the road from the Mach 1 at another dealership, so I'm going to try to get there early enough to check it out before seeing the Mach 1 at noon. If a 7-speed Z51 3LT doesn't win me over to Corvette, then I'm coming home with the Mustang.

Last edited:

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
It really depends on personal preferences.
@Hurricane can obviously live without it.

I use the Bullitt for commuting (1h each way) and traveling, which is more pleasant with ACC.
Unfortunately, there are too many people who are not able to drive at a constant pace.
It is also pleasant with MT, because the drivetrain can be driven shift lazy. And if someone is too annoying, you can overtake without much effort.
Your Bullitt has ACC? I didn't think that was an option. Was definitely not standard.

The options were:
- Recaros
- Magnaride
- B&O Audio and Upgraded Audio System
- Electonics Package with blind spot and rear alerts and NAV

That was it AFAIK
-

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much for all this feedback. It was REALLY helpful! The low ride height and ground clearance of the Vette is a big concern of mine too. I think I do prefer the slightly taller ride and stance of the Mustang. I drive kids around literally never, so the Mustang back seat will be used purely for storage. It gets a +1 point for having a traditional trunk as well too. And if more storage is needed, the back seats fold down, so there's that.

Tomorrow will tell for sure which one is for me.

I did drive a Mach 1 last Friday, but it wasn't spec'ed out how I want. The one I'm driving tomorrow is set up just how I want it. I talked to the sales manager again this morning and he still had it. He's calling me in the morning before I leave on my 2-hour drive to let me know 100% if it's still there.

I also found a manual transmission 2019 C7 coupe with the Z51 handling pack and the 3LT equipment group just down the road from the Mach 1 at another dealership, so I'm going to try to get there early enough to check it out before seeing the Mach 1 at noon. If a 7-speed Z51 3LT doesn't win me over to Corvette, then I'm coming home with the Mustang.
We look forward to seeing your new MACH 1 ;-)

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
No question, but the Bullitt does NOT have Active Cruise Control. I think we are (well I was) conflating ACC. I was talking about the Active Cruise Control, not Climate system. Ah the internet ;-)
2019 GT and Bullitt sold in EU both had adaptive cruise control in the factory package (standard equipment).