Sponsored

Is a Mach 1 the right decision for me? (Answered!)

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Your Bullitt has ACC? I didn't think that was an option. Was definitely not standard.

The options were:
- Recaros
- Magnaride
- B&O Audio and Upgraded Audio System
- Electonics Package with blind spot and rear alerts and NAV

That was it AFAIK
-
EU-spec Bullitt is different!
More different, than I expected!

Differences to the US-spec Bullitt, as far as I know for now:

Standard equipment (like all EU-spec GT):
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Auto High Beam
  • Lane-Keeping System
  • Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection
  • Rain-sensing Windshield Wipers
  • B&O Sound System by Bang & Olufsen (12 Speakers) includes CD Player, HD Radioā„¢ and Subwoofer in-trunk
  • Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation System with Pinch-to-Zoom Capability (Sync3)
  • FordPass Connect incl. Live Traffic und Wifi-Hotspot (2020 only)
  • Electronic Steering Column Lock
  • Wheel Locking Kit
  • Folding Mirrors
Options (I have a full option DHG EU-spec):
  • Colour Black or DHG (free of charge)
  • MagneRide
  • Recaro
  • Active Anti-Theft System
Not available:
  • Memory
  • BLIS
  • Bullitt Strut-Tower Brace
  • Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
  • Electronic-locking Center Console
Plus the obvious differences (EU-spec headlights, EU-spec taillights, no illuminated sidemarkers).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Thatā€™s a 1969 Poppy Green Mach 1, I believe.

059E8811-85B3-43A8-8451-214039892B32.jpeg
Thatā€™s awesome!!! Can you imagine wearing that suit and driving that car, magazine cover material. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Hey all. Long-time member here, but it's been several years since I posted. I used to have a 2015 GT premium, but sold it quite a while back in order to buy a vehicle that could tow a boat for me and the wife. Needless to say, with the boat now up for sale at a local dealership, I'm looking at getting back into a fun, sporty car again.

After watching countless hours of YouTube, reading dozens of comparison articles and spec sheets online, and test driving several options, I'm about 80-90% sure I want to buy a Mach 1. I test drove a 2021 last Friday at a dealership near me, but couldn't pull the trigger because I didn't like the standard 5-star wheels on it, and the cloth Recaro seats made my kidneys feel like they were going to explode. I'm 5'10", 170 lb, but those seats felt equal to an anaconda slowly trying to crush the life out of me. I'm driving a fighter jet gray 2022 this Saturday that has all the upgrades other than the Handling Pack, which I'm fine with because I'm not a track guy, and wheels/tires/spoilers are easy enough to add/change later on if I want to.

I originally wanted a 2019-2020 GT350, but with low-mileage versions of those costing over my max budget of $60k, I decided to settle on the Mach 1. It seems to use the best parts of the GT350 anyway, albeit with a bulletproof gen 3 Coyote instead of the insane Voodoo engine. Most importantly, it doesn't have that horrible MT-82 transmission that my old GT had. That thing was terrible, even after I put in a Steeda Tri-Ax race shifter, a 35 lb clutch spring, and Steeda transmission bushings in it. It would constantly hang when trying to go hard into 2nd gear, among other issues.

Anyway, the ONLY vehicle out there that is preventing me from being 100% on the Mach 1 is a C7 Corvette coupe. My budget of $60k will get me a nice, low-mileage 2018 or 2019 Stingray with the Z51 handing package, or even a Grand Sport that's a couple years older or has a bit more on the odometer. When I test drove the Mach 1 last Friday, I got to sit in a C7 convertible at another dealership. Unfortunately, I couldn't drive it because they were in the process of cleaning/detailing it prior to putting it out for sale. They let me go check it out as a courtesy. There was even still a can of cleaning spray in the driver's seat when I went to get in it. Despite sitting much lower in the 'Vette than the 'Stang, the interior wasn't cramped for me, and the leather seats and steering wheel with plastic everything else felt pretty much equal in quality to the Mach 1. I mean, I don't expect a Mercedes or BMW-level of interior from the likes of Ford or Chevy.

Whatever I buy is going to be my daily driver, so I do want to be somewhat mindful of what I purchase. However, my wife has a 330I sedan, so there's no concern for me about transporting several adults or our two dogs comfortably in a 2-door sports car. I work full-time from home, and usually only drive anywhere 3 to 4 days a week, so there's no worry about shifting gears for an hour in heavy traffic either.

I suppose the only thing I need to figure out is whether I want to buy a grand tourer, or a true sports car. Both the C7 Corvette and Mach 1 can get me where I need to go comfortably, and both can haul groceries or luggage for a trip if asked to. Both have proven NA V8 powerplants and Tremec transmissions. Plenty of mods/upgrades are available for both as well. I'm only in my early 40s, so no worries about getting into or out of a low car.

In the end, I'm simply trying to exercise due diligence and explore all options before making a $60,000 decision. Any feedback or comments is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for reading!
I ordered a 2021 M1 in 2020. It was iconic silver with the upgraded wheels, manual and all the other available options except the Handling pack. The car was excellent in all ways except that which is an issue in the manual getrag transmission as well (though the M1 has the Tremec) which is long gearing.

I have also owned several 10 speed auto GTs and currently have a Bullitt. My sugg is that if you want fun driving around town, in the twisties,etc, I think the stick is a bit better. But if you want to drag race or compete around town, the 10 speed with easily walk a stick.

But, either car is light years above the '15 you owned (I had one as well). The magnaride is very, very good and I would not buy another Mustang without it.

BTW, look up Granger motors in Iowa. Zach is selling NEW 2022 M1s for about 5K UNDER sticker!

Good luck in your decisions.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
No question, but the Bullitt does NOT have Active Cruise Control. I think we are (well I was) conflating ACC. I was talking about the Active Cruise Control, not Climate system. Ah the internet ;-)
Oh lol, I misread and missed one 'C' šŸ˜ My excuse is that it was before morning coffee :giggle:

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
There's definitely a HUGE benefit to being able to tell people you drive a Shelby, Bullitt, Mach 1. You tell people you drive a GT, doesn't matter that it's a premium, with more bells and whistles than an Audi or a BMW, and your specific one could be supercharged and have a ton of suspension work and would put any of the named cars to shame. People still act like you just said you drive a Corolla lol
I guess it's lucky for me, I'm not interested in impressing the guy parked beside me :p

Sponsored

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I ordered a 2021 M1 in 2020. It was iconic silver with the upgraded wheels, manual and all the other available options except the Handling pack. The car was excellent in all ways except that which is an issue in the manual getrag transmission as well (though the M1 has the Tremec) which is long gearing.

I have also owned several 10 speed auto GTs and currently have a Bullitt. My sugg is that if you want fun driving around town, in the twisties,etc, I think the stick is a bit better. But if you want to drag race or compete around town, the 10 speed with easily walk a stick.

But, either car is light years above the '15 you owned (I had one as well). The magnaride is very, very good and I would not buy another Mustang without it.

BTW, look up Granger motors in Iowa. Zach is selling NEW 2022 M1s for about 5K UNDER sticker!

Good luck in your decisions.
Just checked the Granger offerings. All are 10 speeds, except for the two Whipple'd ones. I'd take this one here any day over a Dark Horse https://www.grangerford.com/new-Des+Moines-2022-Ford-Mustang-Mach+1-1FA6P8R09N5555097

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
So @Hurricane why are you keeping us in suspense??? Did you buy the Mach today?

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
I daily drive my Mach1. Is an A10, but definitely itā€™s a great daily driver!!!!

Who cares if you donā€™t go to the track? I donā€™t neither and people stare at it on the road all the time.

OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
Well...she's home!

I'm the proud new owner of a 2022 Fighter Jet Gray Mach 1 premium 6-speed with the Elite Package, Appearance Package, and the upgraded magnetic painted wheels. Chassis Code is N4116. It had just 700 miles on the odometer during my test drive. The first owner bought it new in January of this year and sold it just 3 months later. Heck, the owner's manual was still in the original shrink-wrap plastic! Naturally, I get to enjoy the remainder of the factory warranty.

Since I used my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk as the down payment, I negotiated with the dealer on the price of that instead of haggling with them on what I felt was a VERY fair asking price of $57,988 for the Mach 1. After we sell our boat in the coming weeks, I'll pay off the rest of the Mustang and get the title for it.

I had a great drive home from Raleigh, getting 24.5 MPG (2.5 better than my Hemi-powered Grand Cherokee), and after cleaning up the insect killing field that was my front bumper, the Mach is now safely tucked away in the garage.

Thank you all again so very much for the feedback and opinions. I'm beyond excited to be back in a Mustang once again!

PS, Before anyone asks, no, I didn't test drive a C7 today. I woke up too late this morning to go see one before my appointment with the Mach 1. Besides, after the test drive, I was too much in love to go see anything else. In the end, it doesn't matter. I definitely came home with the right car. šŸ˜Ž

PPS, I stopped at a grocery store to get some snacks for the ride home from the dealership, and as I was about to pull out of my parking spot, a lady literally ran up to the car and asked me what the color is called and told me how gorgeous it is. I owned the car literally less than 30 minutes and already had my first compliment. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. šŸ¤£

home_01.jpg

home_02.jpg

Last edited:

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
2019 GT and Bullitt sold in EU both had adaptive cruise control in the factory package (standard equipment).
Interesting.... Not suprising, the Nanny State is more advance in the EU than in the USA...... (by about a micronano MM) I'm glad the US spec Bullitt had not of that.

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Well...she's home!

I'm the proud new owner of a 2022 Fighter Jet Gray Mach 1 premium 6-speed with the Elite Package, Appearance Package, and the upgraded magnetic painted wheels. Chassis Code is N4116. It had just 700 miles on the odometer during my test drive. The first owner bought it new in January of this year and sold it just 3 months later. Heck, the owner's manual was still in the original shrink-wrap plastic! Naturally, I get to enjoy the remainder of the factory warranty.

Since I used my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk as the down payment, I negotiated with the dealer on the price of that instead of haggling with them on what I felt was a VERY fair asking price of $57,988 for the Mach 1. After we sell our boat in the coming weeks, I'll pay off the rest of the Mustang and get the title for it.

I had a great drive home from Raleigh, getting 24.5 MPG (2.5 better than my Hemi-powered Grand Cherokee), and after cleaning up the insect killing field that was my front bumper, the Mach is now safely tucked away in the garage.

Thank you all again so very much for the feedback and opinions. I'm beyond excited to be back in a Mustang once again!

PS, Before anyone asks, no, I didn't test drive a C7 today. I woke up too late this morning to go see one before my appointment with the Mach 1. Besides, after the test drive, I was too much in love to go see anything else. In the end, it doesn't matter. I definitely came home with the right car. šŸ˜Ž

PPS, I stopped at a grocery store to get some snacks for the ride home from the dealership, and as I was about to pull out of my parking spot, a lady literally ran up to the car and asked me what the color is called and told me how gorgeous it is. I owned the car literally less than 30 minutes and already had my first compliment. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. šŸ¤£

home_01.jpg

home_02.jpg
I KNEW IT! Congrats Brother! Best color of the M1. I'm considering getting my 'Black" Bulllitt wrapped in the FJG in hopes that it helps me keep my wallet intact ;-)

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Congrats! The Mach 1s get a lot of attention. Itā€™s the combo of the great looks, sound and a legendary name. Itā€™s an American icon. šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Nice choice! šŸ˜

Interesting.... Not suprising, the Nanny State is more advance in the EU than in the USA...... (by about a micronano MM) I'm glad the US spec Bullitt had not of that.
These are simply comfort features, which are standard over here even for small cars by now, the customer simply expects that vehicles in the price range of a Mustang come with such things.
Over here there is no base model of the Mustang, the vehicle is offered here only as a Premium PP, with only a few things as an option.
The target group is people who normally buy Mercedes, BMW and Audi.
I also expect, that a car like the Mustang without full equipment would be problematic in resale here.

Why pass on these gimmicks, you can turn everything off if it annoys you?!

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I agree, except for the Ipad dash...
Saw the DH in person on Friday. At this point Iā€™d strongly consider looking at the DH. Itā€™s really nice. Love the clean sides. The screens are a lot less obtrusive in person. Itā€™s edgier for sure, but it does make the Mach look ā€œolderā€. The dash still sucks, but not for any other reason other than it doesnā€™t look Mustang. The quality is very nice improvement though.
Edit-I was surprised to notice that the exhaust on the DH was black. No chrome tipsā€¦ looked cool, but Iā€™m not sure it wasnā€™t disguised cost cutting vs the GT500 exhaust.

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I guess it's lucky for me, I'm not interested in impressing the guy parked beside me :p
Who cares what anyone else thinks.
Sponsored