Sponsored

Is a Mach 1 the right decision for me? (Answered!)

OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
Somehow I ended up with a Mustang Bullitt, how could that happen. 🤭 😍

The Mach1 is a great piece of equipment! 👍
Funny you mention the Bullitt. If my budget was lower, say $40 or 50k, I would almost definitely be getting one. Other than the MT-82, there's a lot I love about that car.

First off, you're too young to buy a Corvette. :crackup:
It's so crazy you said that. I literally did a search a couple weeks ago for "is a Corvette an old man's car" just to see what other people think. In the end, the consensus was that it's not really an old man's car so much as it's a car for people who can afford it and don't need more than 2 seats in a vehicle. People in their 20's and 30's would likely love to own one, but either don't make enough money in their job or they have a family and need to haul more than 2 people around. I may be only 43, but I've always considered myself an "old soul" anyway, so the stigma around the Corvette being an old man car doesn't really bother me too much. I mean, what vehicle doesn't have some sort of wacky stereotype attached to it?

Corvette: old man car
Mustang: out-of-control crowd-killer
BMW: driver is a pretentious a-hole (my wife drives one, and she is anything but pretentious)
Mercury/Buick/Oldsmobile: owner is 90 years old and can barely see over the wheel
Civic: noisy cricket rice-burner (I once owned a '97 EX coupe and can confirm this)
Camaro: driven by mullet-sporting wife-beaters
Jacked-up Truck: deer-hunting redneck mobile
:crackup:

I'm more of a which-car-wins-the-spreadsheet guy, but there's something intangible about this Mach 1 that really appeals to me, even after 18 months of ownership. Feels like a good example of something where the whole package is greater than the sum of its parts. As much as I loved the 2018 GT, I don't miss it one bit.
I'm a programmer by trade. Been doing that as a profession for 20-years. Therefore, I have a tendency to analyze the hell out of everything, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. I literally have a document on my computer that has the specs for every car I've been considering, along with a bulleted list of my personal pros and cons for each, detailed down to even how much insurance and new tires would cost. I can happily report that the Mach 1 legitimately wins out on paper (for my needs/desires) against a GT350, C7 Vette, Jaguar F-Type R, Challenger Scat Pack, and a BMW M2/M4.

I've driven GT350's and have had plenty of opportunities to buy one but as nice as they are, I don't ever regret having the Mach instead.

And as was mentioned earlier in this thread, there's also something fun about having an uncommon car. I enjoy the "what the hell is THAT?" looks from people.
You know, even if I found a '19 or '20 GT350 with low miles that cost the exact same as a Mach 1, I think in terms of practicality and my own real needs, I'd probably still get the Mach. A GT350 costs much more for me to insure, despite being 2 or 3 model years older than the Mach 1. Plus, as a daily driver, I would barely ever get to reach that magical 8,000+ RPM range that the Voodoo engine works best at. The lower end oomph and reliability of the Coyote serves my purposes much better.
Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Hey all. Long-time member here, but it's been several years since I posted. I used to have a 2015 GT premium, but sold it quite a while back in order to buy a vehicle that could tow a boat for me and the wife. Needless to say, with the boat now up for sale at a local dealership, I'm looking at getting back into a fun, sporty car again.

After watching countless hours of YouTube, reading dozens of comparison articles and spec sheets online, and test driving several options, I'm about 80-90% sure I want to buy a Mach 1. I test drove a 2021 last Friday at a dealership near me, but couldn't pull the trigger because I didn't like the standard 5-star wheels on it, and the cloth Recaro seats made my kidneys feel like they were going to explode. I'm 5'10", 170 lb, but those seats felt equal to an anaconda slowly trying to crush the life out of me. I'm driving a fighter jet gray 2022 this Saturday that has all the upgrades other than the Handling Pack, which I'm fine with because I'm not a track guy, and wheels/tires/spoilers are easy enough to add/change later on if I want to.

I originally wanted a 2019-2020 GT350, but with low-mileage versions of those costing over my max budget of $60k, I decided to settle on the Mach 1. It seems to use the best parts of the GT350 anyway, albeit with a bulletproof gen 3 Coyote instead of the insane Voodoo engine. Most importantly, it doesn't have that horrible MT-82 transmission that my old GT had. That thing was terrible, even after I put in a Steeda Tri-Ax race shifter, a 35 lb clutch spring, and Steeda transmission bushings in it. It would constantly hang when trying to go hard into 2nd gear, among other issues.

Anyway, the ONLY vehicle out there that is preventing me from being 100% on the Mach 1 is a C7 Corvette coupe. My budget of $60k will get me a nice, low-mileage 2018 or 2019 Stingray with the Z51 handing package, or even a Grand Sport that's a couple years older or has a bit more on the odometer. When I test drove the Mach 1 last Friday, I got to sit in a C7 convertible at another dealership. Unfortunately, I couldn't drive it because they were in the process of cleaning/detailing it prior to putting it out for sale. They let me go check it out as a courtesy. There was even still a can of cleaning spray in the driver's seat when I went to get in it. Despite sitting much lower in the 'Vette than the 'Stang, the interior wasn't cramped for me, and the leather seats and steering wheel with plastic everything else felt pretty much equal in quality to the Mach 1. I mean, I don't expect a Mercedes or BMW-level of interior from the likes of Ford or Chevy.

Whatever I buy is going to be my daily driver, so I do want to be somewhat mindful of what I purchase. However, my wife has a 330I sedan, so there's no concern for me about transporting several adults or our two dogs comfortably in a 2-door sports car. I work full-time from home, and usually only drive anywhere 3 to 4 days a week, so there's no worry about shifting gears for an hour in heavy traffic either.

I suppose the only thing I need to figure out is whether I want to buy a grand tourer, or a true sports car. Both the C7 Corvette and Mach 1 can get me where I need to go comfortably, and both can haul groceries or luggage for a trip if asked to. Both have proven NA V8 powerplants and Tremec transmissions. Plenty of mods/upgrades are available for both as well. I'm only in my early 40s, so no worries about getting into or out of a low car.

In the end, I'm simply trying to exercise due diligence and explore all options before making a $60,000 decision. Any feedback or comments is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for reading!
Both are great choices so you really can't go wrong with either. :) If you want my $0.02 then I would say stick with a Mach 1.

How are you going to use the vehicle is probably a good question to ask?

Mach 1s are lovely vehicles that are somewhat practical and reliable. Great car that you can depend on, have fun and not worry too much about.

I have no experience with a C7 but from what I can tell they are pretty reliable but lack some of the practicality such as low ground clearance, no back seat, less storage space, stuff like that. Probably more fun to drive than a Mustang (assuming?).

If you are looking for a toy, garage queen or track star that you won't be taking to Costco for grocery runs and has like 0% practicality, then get a Viper! I absolutely LOVE my SRT10 and OMG so much fun, ridiculous power, way more unique and rare BUT come on its a Dodge... I even have very low miles on my car but there is a reason it is a second car while I daily my trusty steed mustang LOL. There are tons of other vehicles I would recommend for you as really fun cars, but I would need to know what you have in mind for how you will use the car.

To conclude, it sounds like you are just considering just a C7 or a Mach 1. My recommendation for you coming back into the sports car world would be to stick with the Mach 1 for two simple reasons: 1) newer car with a warranty so trouble free driving for a few years and 2) fewer compromises over the C7. Hope this helps. ✌

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
There are better driver's cars than the Mach 1 but as a daily, it is hard to beat IMO. Manual, RWD, NA V8, low maintenance costs, practical, reliable, track-ready. I came from a Bullitt and the Mach 1 is definitely the better car. I love mine.

Good luck with the test drives tomorrow! I'd still drive the C7 just for closure.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The C7 is my favorite Vette, very much prefer it over the C8. If it’s a daily driver, the Mach 1 is probably better for that although not gonna lie I wouldn’t mind a C7 as a daily. They’re 2 completely different cars so even though you’re 98% sure on the Mach, you should still drive the C7. It’s an incredible car, but very different than any Mustang. I don’t think you can go wrong with either car, just a matter of preference once you’ve driven both.

Sponsored

fordracerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FJG M1
I'm a programmer by trade. Been doing that as a profession for 20-years. Therefore, I have a tendency to analyze the hell out of everything, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. I literally have a document on my computer that has the specs for every car I've been considering, along with a bulleted list of my personal pros and cons for each, detailed down to even how much insurance and new tires would cost. I can happily report that the Mach 1 legitimately wins out on paper (for my needs/desires) against a GT350, C7 Vette, Jaguar F-Type R, Challenger Scat Pack, and a BMW M2/M4.
I'm a tech guy too (programming, etc.) I picked the Mach 1 because I can appreciate all of the extra effort that went into its design, cooling, chassis stiffing, Tremec, etc. There is a chance my car won't ever see a track, although I do have plenty of curvy roads nearby. I get the same, if not more joy thinking about the passionate engineering decisions and battles with bean counters, knowing my vehicle is running optimally.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Funny you mention the Bullitt. If my budget was lower, say $40 or 50k, I would almost definitely be getting one. Other than the MT-82, there's a lot I love about that car.
I like the understatement of the Bullitt very much.
For the price difference, you can easily sharpen a Bullitt, if you find the Mach1 too extroverted.

The Tremec is of course an hard to beat plus. But they are also becoming more and more available and will certainly fit in the Bullitt.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all. Long-time member here, but it's been several years since I posted. I used to have a 2015 GT premium, but sold it quite a while back in order to buy a vehicle that could tow a boat for me and the wife. Needless to say, with the boat now up for sale at a local dealership, I'm looking at getting back into a fun, sporty car again.

After watching countless hours of YouTube, reading dozens of comparison articles and spec sheets online, and test driving several options, I'm about 80-90% sure I want to buy a Mach 1. I test drove a 2021 last Friday at a dealership near me, but couldn't pull the trigger because I didn't like the standard 5-star wheels on it, and the cloth Recaro seats made my kidneys feel like they were going to explode. I'm 5'10", 170 lb, but those seats felt equal to an anaconda slowly trying to crush the life out of me. I'm driving a fighter jet gray 2022 this Saturday that has all the upgrades other than the Handling Pack, which I'm fine with because I'm not a track guy, and wheels/tires/spoilers are easy enough to add/change later on if I want to.

I originally wanted a 2019-2020 GT350, but with low-mileage versions of those costing over my max budget of $60k, I decided to settle on the Mach 1. It seems to use the best parts of the GT350 anyway, albeit with a bulletproof gen 3 Coyote instead of the insane Voodoo engine. Most importantly, it doesn't have that horrible MT-82 transmission that my old GT had. That thing was terrible, even after I put in a Steeda Tri-Ax race shifter, a 35 lb clutch spring, and Steeda transmission bushings in it. It would constantly hang when trying to go hard into 2nd gear, among other issues.

Anyway, the ONLY vehicle out there that is preventing me from being 100% on the Mach 1 is a C7 Corvette coupe. My budget of $60k will get me a nice, low-mileage 2018 or 2019 Stingray with the Z51 handing package, or even a Grand Sport that's a couple years older or has a bit more on the odometer. When I test drove the Mach 1 last Friday, I got to sit in a C7 convertible at another dealership. Unfortunately, I couldn't drive it because they were in the process of cleaning/detailing it prior to putting it out for sale. They let me go check it out as a courtesy. There was even still a can of cleaning spray in the driver's seat when I went to get in it. Despite sitting much lower in the 'Vette than the 'Stang, the interior wasn't cramped for me, and the leather seats and steering wheel with plastic everything else felt pretty much equal in quality to the Mach 1. I mean, I don't expect a Mercedes or BMW-level of interior from the likes of Ford or Chevy.

Whatever I buy is going to be my daily driver, so I do want to be somewhat mindful of what I purchase. However, my wife has a 330I sedan, so there's no concern for me about transporting several adults or our two dogs comfortably in a 2-door sports car. I work full-time from home, and usually only drive anywhere 3 to 4 days a week, so there's no worry about shifting gears for an hour in heavy traffic either.

I suppose the only thing I need to figure out is whether I want to buy a grand tourer, or a true sports car. Both the C7 Corvette and Mach 1 can get me where I need to go comfortably, and both can haul groceries or luggage for a trip if asked to. Both have proven NA V8 powerplants and Tremec transmissions. Plenty of mods/upgrades are available for both as well. I'm only in my early 40s, so no worries about getting into or out of a low car.

In the end, I'm simply trying to exercise due diligence and explore all options before making a $60,000 decision. Any feedback or comments is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for reading!
I'm 77 and my daily driver is a 2017 Mustang GT Performance Pack with Roush Phase 2 supercharger, Gforce axles and Ford Racing Track suspension with linear springs. I absolutely love the car and I've had it six years. Not one issue. The thing is that cars are personal. Do whatever trips your trigger. It's your money and you're the one that needs to be happy.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
. I mean, what vehicle doesn't have some sort of wacky stereotype attached to it?

Corvette: old man car
Mustang: out-of-control crowd-killer
BMW: driver is a pretentious a-hole (my wife drives one, and she is anything but pretentious)
Mercury/Buick/Oldsmobile: owner is 90 years old and can barely see over the wheel
Civic: noisy cricket rice-burner (I once owned a '97 EX coupe and can confirm this)
Camaro: driven by mullet-sporting wife-beaters
Jacked-up Truck: deer-hunting redneck mobile
:crackup:
1681494184360.jpeg

😁

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I take my Mitsubishi to a shop where the employees all own Subarus, so here are some more stereotypes for you:

WRX/STi owners: Get mods and dyno tests so they have something to talk about while they stand around vaping.

Evo owners: “This engine has the potential to make 1000hp!”

Evo owners, with 400hp: “Everybody needs a new long block some day. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
Then you would not want Mach 1 either.
Yeah...I've got adaptive cruise control on my Trailhawk and have used it exactly zero times. I prefer to watch the car in front of me and adjust speed the old-fashioned way. :)

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
I can give you my experience, as someone who came directly from a C7 to my new Mach 1:

I had a C7 Stingray and then a C7 Grand Sport (which I sold and moved to a 2022 GT and then a 23 Mach 1):

Corvette Pros:

It felt a little more "special" in a way.

It handled better and very much felt like a lighter car.

It "felt" quicker.

I loved the removable top - It was essentially a convertible when wanted but looked better than a rag top IMHO.

Corvette Negatives:

If driving regularly W/ more than 1 passenger is needed, it renders the Vette as a "part time" vehicle. This was the deciding factor for me as when I had a grandson that is over regularly and me & my wife started working remotely also so it wasn't hardly getting driven. I needed a fun daily driver that was also practical.

It was so low to the ground that it became a bit of a pain to get in and out of.

It was so low that trying to navigate driveways, speed bumps...etc. was a pain.

Mach 1 Pros

It still feels/looks like a "special" car.

It's a practical daily driver while also a very "fun" car to drive.

I actually like the interior & technology over the C7.

The sound! The exhaust sounds better than the C7 IMHO.

Mach 1 Negatives

It "feels" like a heavier car than a C7 but that is to be expected because it is.

No Targa top.

To sum it up, if choosing a daily driver & it was just for me, I would have to think about it but the decision would still be hard.

If strictly for a "fun" weekend/part-time car then I probably would go with the C7.

If practicality is a factor then the Mach 1 would be an easy choice for me.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Oh, I didn't know that!

Just checked the price lists of the EU Mach1, the cruise control is actually not adaptive!

That's really stupid.
I'm already annoyed that I have to retrofit the BLIS to the EU Bullitt...

That's a tough decision then.
Maybe look for a RTR GT or Steeda Bullitt?

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
I had a 2016 C7 Z51 before I bought my 2023 Mach 1. Yes, two very different cars, C7 is a sports car and the Mach 1 is a muscle/pony car even though my window sticker says sports car. I liked my C7 even more than the C6 I had, better technology and the Z51 package is nice but I have liked Mach 1's for a very long time and when I found a brand new 2023 Mach 1 for sale I traded in my C7 for the Mach 1 and have not looked back. To me the Mach 1 feels more of a solid car while driving, my C7 did not have magneride suspension but the Mach 1 does and it is a noticable difference. I do suggest you drive the C7 model you want to buy to do apples to apples so C7 with Z51, GS, Z06, ZR1). As for people saying you do not need a mach 1 because you won't track it, I will throw a guess out there that most people don't track their Mach 1, Shelby's, Corvettes, etc. It is your money buy what you like. As for the Recaro seats, if you really like the Mach 1 you drove you could trade them out because Mach 1 orders are no more and you will have to search online to see if you can find the Mach 1 at a dealer now like I did. I daily drove both the C7 and now the Mach 1 and both work fine for me. Good luck.
Sponsored