Sponsored

Is a Mach 1 the right decision for me? (Answered!)

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
Hey all. Long-time member here, but it's been several years since I posted. I used to have a 2015 GT premium, but sold it quite a while back in order to buy a vehicle that could tow a boat for me and the wife. Needless to say, with the boat now up for sale at a local dealership, I'm looking at getting back into a fun, sporty car again.

After watching countless hours of YouTube, reading dozens of comparison articles and spec sheets online, and test driving several options, I'm about 80-90% sure I want to buy a Mach 1. I test drove a 2021 last Friday at a dealership near me, but couldn't pull the trigger because I didn't like the standard 5-star wheels on it, and the cloth Recaro seats made my kidneys feel like they were going to explode. I'm 5'10", 170 lb, but those seats felt equal to an anaconda slowly trying to crush the life out of me. I'm driving a fighter jet gray 2022 this Saturday that has all the upgrades other than the Handling Pack, which I'm fine with because I'm not a track guy, and wheels/tires/spoilers are easy enough to add/change later on if I want to.

I originally wanted a 2019-2020 GT350, but with low-mileage versions of those costing over my max budget of $60k, I decided to settle on the Mach 1. It seems to use the best parts of the GT350 anyway, albeit with a bulletproof gen 3 Coyote instead of the insane Voodoo engine. Most importantly, it doesn't have that horrible MT-82 transmission that my old GT had. That thing was terrible, even after I put in a Steeda Tri-Ax race shifter, a 35 lb clutch spring, and Steeda transmission bushings in it. It would constantly hang when trying to go hard into 2nd gear, among other issues.

Anyway, the ONLY vehicle out there that is preventing me from being 100% on the Mach 1 is a C7 Corvette coupe. My budget of $60k will get me a nice, low-mileage 2018 or 2019 Stingray with the Z51 handing package, or even a Grand Sport that's a couple years older or has a bit more on the odometer. When I test drove the Mach 1 last Friday, I got to sit in a C7 convertible at another dealership. Unfortunately, I couldn't drive it because they were in the process of cleaning/detailing it prior to putting it out for sale. They let me go check it out as a courtesy. There was even still a can of cleaning spray in the driver's seat when I went to get in it. Despite sitting much lower in the 'Vette than the 'Stang, the interior wasn't cramped for me, and the leather seats and steering wheel with plastic everything else felt pretty much equal in quality to the Mach 1. I mean, I don't expect a Mercedes or BMW-level of interior from the likes of Ford or Chevy.

Whatever I buy is going to be my daily driver, so I do want to be somewhat mindful of what I purchase. However, my wife has a 330I sedan, so there's no concern for me about transporting several adults or our two dogs comfortably in a 2-door sports car. I work full-time from home, and usually only drive anywhere 3 to 4 days a week, so there's no worry about shifting gears for an hour in heavy traffic either.

I suppose the only thing I need to figure out is whether I want to buy a grand tourer, or a true sports car. Both the C7 Corvette and Mach 1 can get me where I need to go comfortably, and both can haul groceries or luggage for a trip if asked to. Both have proven NA V8 powerplants and Tremec transmissions. Plenty of mods/upgrades are available for both as well. I'm only in my early 40s, so no worries about getting into or out of a low car.

In the end, I'm simply trying to exercise due diligence and explore all options before making a $60,000 decision. Any feedback or comments is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I had a 2017 GT350, which Ford bought back from me. I later test drove a 2019 or 2020 (I just can't remember) 2LT manual. I loved driving it, but I like the larger interior of Mustangs, especially on long drives. I also loved the removable roof, but it was too heavy to deal with every day.

Real Drivers seem to like to sit low, but I like being able to sit higher and see more in the Mustang. (Why I could never drive a new Camaro.)

Since you like the smaller interior in the Corvette, and have a larger car for trips and errands, sounds like you'll be good whichever you choose. Might come down to whether you want new or used. (Nice dilemma!)

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Oh yeah, I've always gotten the heated and cooled seats rather than Recaros, because they fit me better even though I'm a not-tall-or-large person. I only get on a track once in a while, but they hold me in just fine.

OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
I had a 2017 GT350, which Ford bought back from me. I later test drove a 2019 or 2020 (I just can't remember) 2LT manual. I loved driving it, but I like the larger interior of Mustangs, especially on long drives. I also loved the removable roof, but it was too heavy to deal with every day.

Real Drivers seem to like to sit low, but I like being able to sit higher and see more in the Mustang. (Why I could never drive a new Camaro.)

Since you like the smaller interior in the Corvette, and have a larger car for trips and errands, sounds like you'll be good whichever you choose. Might come down to whether you want new or used. (Nice dilemma!)

Oh yeah, I've always gotten the heated and cooled seats rather than Recaros, because they fit me better even though I'm a not-tall-or-large person. I only get on a track once in a while, but they hold me in just fine.
I don't necessarily prefer the Corvette interior over the Mustang. They're both equal to me in comfort. The Mustang clearly has more space though. Plus, there's the obvious difference in that it has a back seat and a normal trunk for more cargo. Having driven a full-size truck or an SUV the last several years, even the Mustang feels low to the ground when I drive it. Not as low as the Corvette though, and that super low ride height is a minor concern of mine. I don't want to tear up the front bumper or the undercarriage every time I have to go over a speed bump or drive up a steep driveway at someone's house or business. The front bumper cameras help in that regard a little bit at least.

Other than the crummy MT-82 transmission and the lackluster stereo, I really enjoyed my 2015 GT. It didn't have the performance pack, but was plenty of fun for me driving to and from my office, which at the time was about 25 miles round trip through moderate traffic and some twisty roads. I LOVED the heated/cooled leather seats and swore I'd have those in any vehicle I owned going forward.

astronaut45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Oxford White Mach 1
I'll be that guy early in this thread, but if you have absolutely zero intention to ever track the Mach 1, then you might be paying for more car than you need.

If you could find a low mile 2020 premium PP2 you could get all of the handling and feel that the Mach 1 gives you for about 20k cheaper. The one problem that would cause would be the MT82 on the PP2 vs the Tremec on that Mach 1. And you'd have to ask yourself if the Tremec is worth 20k.

FWIW, I've owned a GT350, a PP2 and now I'm in a Mach 1. The driving feel under daily driving conditions in all 3 is pretty similar and would meet your needs for what you described.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
I'll be that guy early in this thread, but if you have absolutely zero intention to ever track the Mach 1, then you might be paying for more car than you need.

If you could find a low mile 2020 premium PP2 you could get all of the handling and feel that the Mach 1 gives you for about 20k cheaper. The one problem that would cause would be the MT82 on the PP2 vs the Tremec on that Mach 1. And you'd have to ask yourself if the Tremec is worth 20k.

FWIW, I've owned a GT350, a PP2 and now I'm in a Mach 1. The driving feel under daily driving conditions in all 3 is pretty similar and would meet your needs for what you described.
Don't worry about being "that guy." I asked for opinions, and I want them all. You're 100% right. I don't need a Mach 1 over a regular GT premium. I will say that when I first started looking at Mach 1's, I quickly decided that I did not want or need the handling package. That's a $3,500-ish upgrade that would be a waste of my money. Then again, none of us need a 480 horsepower car, do we? 😉

The truth is, I'd like a Mach 1 over a GT premium with the PP because I want to own something that I don't see all that often. Despite living at the coast, which is loaded with rich people and their beach houses and fancy cars, I've seen a Mach 1 just once in three years since moving here from Raleigh. I've also seen less than five C7 Corvettes in that same time period as well. Originally, I was also considering a Jaguar F-Type R, which I've never seen around here, but they don't come in a manual with the V8, so that got dropped off my list pretty quickly. It's VERY difficult to find a sports car that can fill the role of a daily driver, but also has some level of rarity to it.

On the other hand, I see "regular" Mustangs all over the place, in all colors and engine types. While I agree with you that the Tremec isn't worth $20,000 or even $10,000 by itself, it's a small piece of the Mach 1 puzzle that is put together with a great deal of parts from Ford's two latest Shelby models, which adds a good deal of value. Heck, look at the GT500. It costs $90k and up, but still has the same crappy plastic and rubbery interior as any $30k Mustang. So it has 760 hp. Big deal. So does a Roush Stage 3 GT, which costs about $20-30k less than the GT500. Cost and worth are all relative to the car shopper/owner and will vary from person-to-person until the end of time.

Thanks for the feedback though. You do make some thought-provoking points.

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
Seems to me like you need to drive a C7. That'll probably go quite far in helping you know which you like more. And if it ultimately puts them both on equal ground, then just look for the best deal/option combo you can find between the two.

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
If I had a $60,000 budget, i would simply wait for the new dark horse and order that brand new. It looks to be pretty amazing in comparison to what's available now. But that's just my $0.02

Obsidian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 White
I’ve owned several mustangs over the years ranging from a v6 to the GT and now a Mach 1. The Mach 1 is the first one that has felt truly special to me. Like people have said already, you can get by and have just as much fun with a GT or any other trim. You just have to decide what means more to you. I didn’t go with waiting for the next gen because the design hasn’t grown on me and there were finally some decent discounts in my area on new Mach 1s.

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
I’ve owned several mustangs over the years ranging from a v6 to the GT and now a Mach 1. The Mach 1 is the first one that has felt truly special to me. Like people have said already, you can get by and have just as much fun with a GT or any other trim. You just have to decide what means more to you. I didn’t go with waiting for the next gen because the design hasn’t grown on me and there were finally some decent discounts in my area on new Mach 1s.
There's definitely a HUGE benefit to being able to tell people you drive a Shelby, Bullitt, Mach 1. You tell people you drive a GT, doesn't matter that it's a premium, with more bells and whistles than an Audi or a BMW, and your specific one could be supercharged and have a ton of suspension work and would put any of the named cars to shame. People still act like you just said you drive a Corolla lol

Sponsored

R3G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 TRX, 2020 Shelby GT350
The engine issues of the GT350 are quite exaggerated on this forum. Dont let it deter you, although as you already note, the lower the mileage, the higher the cost in used market and yes you can still find the new non-handling pack Mach 1’s for around $60K and as you also note it includes many parts from the 350 and the cool Mach 1 appearance package and fonts. Having the rear seats is nice is a great daily, grocery getter and date night car. If $60K is your budget I’d buy a new Mach 1. I would never willingly trade money for a Chevy. Good luck!

Obsidian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 White
as much as I love my Mach 1, the GT350 will always be my favorite. I just love everything about that car but I needed more piece of mind with the coyote since it is my daily. Most of the used Shelby’s are going for new Mach 1 prices and it felt too much of a dice roll to me personally.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
You’re not “settling” for a Mach 1 compared to a GT350 (specially a HP M1). It is as capable as a GT350/R without that FPC sound, but getting low-end torque in exchange. And the M1 exhaust is incredible too.

That said, I’m 6’1”/185, and the Recaro is just perfect with Tremec to its side. It is the perfect time to snag a M1, since most people are enamored with the new kid on the block. Instead of a locked-down S650, I’d also consider a C7 or a SS 1LE (if the visibility doesn’t bother you.)

Either way good luck!

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
I read your original post and I'm amused because I had a deal on a C7 manual, 3LT, Z51 with Magneride and broke the deal. I ended up with a Mach 1 and I'm very happy with it. I really like both cars but at the end of the day the Mach 1 was easier for me to interact with. The extra space, visibility, comfort and I love the way the car looks. Everyday Driver did a Youtube on the Mach 1 and stated "This can no longer be looked at as a sporty GT, this truly is a sports car." Maybe there were reaching a bit, but the point is you can drive it like you stole it, it will stand up to it and rewards you as a driver.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
For a daily driver, you should be buying a GT.
Sponsored