Sponsored

Best Nano Sealant

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
$1500 for a detail w/ coating... haha wow. It is as easy as polishing and waxing/sealing/coating yourself in your driveway, people! I'll take your $1500 for the services though if anyone wants a detail.
Sponsored

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
This week I found a hi-end detail garage not so far from my home, must be the first in a 65KM radius.
They use gyeon quartz as coating with 3 warranty, I assume the price point will be quite high, still it might be worth it for a black mustang that lives outside year in year out.
After my 2 weekly wash this week I got so frustrated again by all the new scratches I found and water-spots that won't go away, that I'm considering to have it polished again and add a more suitable coating on it.
Ive been researching it for a few day's and I must admit, I'm impressed! The hydrophobic effect, self cleaning effect and PH tolerance on this coating is impressive, at least that my impression after watching all the video's I could find on it.

http://www.gyeonquartz.com/

Found some video's of a shop in the UK as well, nice work IMHO. (and FY I'm not affiliated to any of it, just sharing the coating as I haven't seen it the forums so far) ;) Cheers!

[ame]

[ame]

Jww92201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This week I found a hi-end detail garage not so far from my home, must be the first in a 65KM radius.
They use gyeon quartz as coating with 3 warranty, I assume the price point will be quite high, still it might be worth it for a black mustang that lives outside year in year out.
After my 2 weekly wash this week I got so frustrated again by all the new scratches I found and water-spots that won't go away, that I'm considering to have it polished again and add a more suitable coating on it.
Ive been researching it for a few day's and I must admit, I'm impressed! The hydrophobic effect, self cleaning effect and PH tolerance on this coating is impressive, at least that my impression after watching all the video's I could find on it.

http://www.gyeonquartz.com/

Found some video's of a shop in the UK as well, nice work IMHO. (and FY I'm not affiliated to any of it, just sharing the coating as I haven't seen it the forums so far) ;) Cheers!

Gyeon makes good products including coatings, I'd also look into GTechniq or Crystal serum if you want a good lasting product with peace of mind.

Paint work varies however all your swirls / scratches are on the Finest coating and not on your actual paint surface so keep that in mind, the deeper scratches will obviously have to be repaired accordingly. The surface has to be 110% clean to achieve a perfect trouble free bond with the surface, and also some coatings like modesta are mandatory IR lamp curing so obviously that makes it more expensive etc.

Get to know the shop, your detailer; me and mine we're basically good friends, and that helps with the whole process. I just dove in and took a chance myself though.

In short any coating is going to be good and perform, why finest isn't working on your paint I honestly couldn't tell you but there is no wrong choice.

I hope your future experience is a success so you can enjoy the car! :thumbsup:

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
$1500 for a detail w/ coating... haha wow. It is as easy as polishing and waxing/sealing/coating yourself in your driveway, people! I'll take your $1500 for the services though if anyone wants a detail.
Not everyone has the time to do it themselves. I paid $650 for the prep and coating. I also have a great relationship with my detailer and we've become friends. He's taught me a lot about detailing it myself so when he can't fit me in I can do it myself without damaging the coating or causing micro scratches. I've had my car since November and my finish is still flawless.

Here's everything I use.
1469314581.image.jpg

Last edited:

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I agree. For the small up front cost of the DA and pads already paid, and a $80 bottle of coating, I'll gladly take $1,500 for a few hours of work per car.

Not everyone has the time to do it themselves. I paid $650 for the prep and coating. I also have a great relationship with my detailer and we've become friends. He's taught me a lot about detailing it myself so when he can't fit me in I can do it myself without damaging the coating or causing micro scratches. I've had my car since November and my finish is still flawless.

Here's everything I use.
$650 is a great deal for polishing and coating, but "not having time" is so cliche. I get not wanting to learn or spend the time to learn a new skill, but if you cant find a few hours once a year (you shouldn't be polishing any more than one a year even on a dark color car to begin with as you're removing clear) there are bigger life problems than a few scratches/swirls on the car.

The coating isn't preventing micro-scratches, good wash/maintenance technique is. Pure paint with good meticulous technique wont micro-scratch either. And a 2 microns thick coating is no less susceptible to micro or regular/deep scratches (and anything more than a towel buffering scuff will go deeper than 2 microns and byebye coating polishing that area anyway); any detailer who says otherwise lied to get your $. A human hair is 17-180 microns, and copy paper is about 100 microns, for reference. 2 is microscopic and not stopping anything more than a less than plush towel swirl. And MANY many of them do lie about how great and magical coatings are.

Sponsored

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
I agree. For the small up front cost of the DA and pads already paid, and a $80 bottle of coating, I'll gladly take $1,500 for a few hours of work per car.

$650 is a great deal for polishing and coating, but "not having time" is so cliche. I get not wanting to learn or spend the time to learn a new skill, but if you cant find a few hours once a year (you shouldn't be polishing any more than one a year even on a dark color car to begin with as you're removing clear) there are bigger life problems than a few scratches/swirls on the car.

The coating isn't preventing micro-scratches, good wash/maintenance technique is. Pure paint with good meticulous technique wont micro-scratch either. And a 2 microns thick coating is no less susceptible to micro or regular/deep scratches (and anything more than a towel buffering scuff will go deeper than 2 microns and byebye coating polishing that area anyway); any detailer who says otherwise lied to get your $. A human hair is 17-180 microns, and copy paper is about 100 microns, for reference. 2 is microscopic and not stopping anything more than a less than plush towel swirl. And MANY many of them do lie about how great and magical coatings are.
I agree with everything you are saying and the fact that the coating doesn't prevent micro scratches and my detailer told me as much, hence, him teaching me proper technique to hand wash without marring the finish. I didn't get the coating to prevent micro scratches, I am happy with it. I also wasn't expecting a miracle scratch proof surface either. I like to take care of my car and keep it looking sharp. Maybe when the coating wears off I will try something else, maybe not. If my car was garaged I probably wouldn't have bothered with a coating but it definitely makes maintaining the appearance easier.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I agree with everything you are saying and the fact that the coating doesn't prevent micro scratches and my detailer told me as much, hence, him teaching me proper technique to hand wash without marring the finish. I didn't get the coating to prevent micro scratches, I am happy with it. I also wasn't expecting a miracle scratch proof surface either. I like to take care of my car and keep it looking sharp. Maybe when the coating wears off I will try something else, maybe not. If my car was garaged I probably wouldn't have bothered with a coating but it definitely makes maintaining the appearance easier.
Of course, but many many people on the internet do believe; and their detailers flat out lie to them about it. And youtube makes its EVEN worse showing the "awesome water beading power," which ignorant people don't get a basic car wax from Walmart will do too applying it every few months, and stupid lighter and marker and other totally irrelevant tests (which are also staged).

It's just the newest fad to me IMO, but I do garage mine all the time too so it's far from a priority even doing it myself for $80 for the bottle. The youtube stuff makes it about as credible as "As Seen on TV" to me. About that level of cheesiness.

I personally would spend that $1500 to Xpel the front section of the car rather than coat it. One would get a LOT more lifetime protection out of PPF on the front end if it's a daily driver.

Jww92201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Of course, but many many people on the internet do believe; and their detailers flat out lie to them about it. And youtube makes its EVEN worse showing the "awesome water beading power," which ignorant people don't get a basic car wax from Walmart will do too applying it every few months, and stupid lighter and marker and other totally irrelevant tests (which are also staged).

It's just the newest fad to me IMO, but I do garage mine all the time too so it's far from a priority even doing it myself for $80 for the bottle. The youtube stuff makes it about as credible as "As Seen on TV" to me. About that level of cheesiness.

I personally would spend that $1500 to Xpel the front section of the car rather than coat it. One would get a LOT more lifetime protection out of PPF on the front end if it's a daily driver.
I agree with both your statements but BLKGT you're really missing the point that not all of us think or see things the same. I got my car coated because it spends its life outside 24/7 and I live in a house which only came with one car port and the yard is dirt, it's not nice dirt either.. the ground is rock hard but that doesn't matter when it's windy. In short deserts suck, anyway the coating not only keeps the car looking amazing, it makes it easier to clean, that's including my black rims and protects it from UV rays and bird/big droppings. NOW before I'd do the same as everyone, wash, polish, seal, wax.. Unfortunately in my conditions and having to wash the car every 3-4 days the seal and wax didn't last nearly as long as I'd want it too so I started looking into coatings and it had all the advantages I wanted, if I could garage the car I probably wouldn't care and just 3 step the car once a year. However now it only takes me 20 minutes now to wipe down the car, rinseless is superior to bucket washing and saves water, and any light dust literally just flies off the car since nothing sticks to the surface, Just look at the finish.

24ovon6.jpg

I paid $550 that included touch up work and paint correction, that's also 2 years minimum I don't have to worry about the car with things like water spots, bird droppings, bug pitting. You still can and most likely will get swirls etc I haven't noticed any on mine.. UK is rock hard, but remember it can be polished just like the paint surface if you so chose to. :thumbsup:

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP

I just want to clear up a few popular misconceptions that are being thrown about here:

YES, the coating DOES in fact help to prevent light scratching/swirls to your clear coat. How does it do this? By accepting the swirls/scratches themselves so you can strip the coating off and reapply without any damage to the actual painted surface beneath. If you use a sh*t technique, you're going to get sh*t results so wash with the two-bucket method and good, quality soaps and wash medium.

YES, the hydrophobic properties are different than natural waxes or even synthetic sealants. Depending on the product, they are usually better. This is a simple form of chemistry that can be seen in the molecular makeup of each of the compounds, science has actually given us advancements in hydrophobic properties (which is how sealants came along and claimed the market years ago from natural waxes and what coatings will eventually do to sealants). They also contain additional synthetic UV inhibitors that natural waxes can't hope to match, each of these leads to longer life for your paint. Oh yeah and you can usually put the coating directly on trim and seals so not only does it save you time it extends the life of these rubbers and plastics as well which you aren't doing with natural waxes or most synthetic sealants.

YES, the products DO last longer. 18-24 months pretty easily in the Arizona desert sun. This makes the $80 (really, that's pushing it when you can get CQUK for like 60 but whatever let's exaggerate to prove a point I suppose) application that does two cars pretty affordable. You can protect your vehicle for 48 months with a single bottle, including trim and lights... or you can buy more carnauba during that 4 years or buy more sealant and still have to pick up products for your trim.

Now I'm fine with people not liking the product, but please dislike something for legitimate reasons and don't go bad-mouthing products without proper knowledge of their function or application.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP

Here's everything I use.

That's cool, I'll take your $1500 and do it for you.. or I'll make you a deal, you can give me $750 and I'll do it then you can spend the other $750 on a life coach focused on organizational skills so you don't have such an artificially crowded schedule and can then do simple maintenance for yourself! Deal? :D

Sponsored

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
That's cool, I'll take your $1500 and do it for you.. or I'll make you a deal, you can give me $750 and I'll do it then you can spend the other $750 on a life coach focused on organizational skills so you don't have such an artificially crowded schedule and can then do simple maintenance for yourself! Deal? :D
I've had a discussion with Patrick and do believe these Nano Sealants are the future. Unfortunately for the short term, inexperienced shops are trying to make a buck. They have no training or detail skills to speak of and the job turns out like ...well, you know. Eventually they will get the hang of it and the products will improve.....we'll see. Meanwhile, I'm old school with wax and polish and right now, a lot of spare time. The Stang is garage kept but our only car right now.

As far as Pony Grrrl's time goes... Let's just say it's prioritized. As was mine when my wife left me with 3 girls age 8, 11 &12 ! Working full time as well. My Hot Rod was in the garage so not far away and I gave it some time that I could without guilt. Trust me Patrick...if people say they have busy lives , they do. You just have to believe that and accept it. It's all good.

For others that have the disposable income, they pay and accept it. Simple logic and clearly their choices.

:cheers::cheers:

We now return to the regularly scheduled program. A discussion of Nano sealants

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I just want people to do it themselves because I'm tired of detailers trying to scare people into making them a buck... there is precious little that is actually easier in proper detailing than installing a nano sealant for a final coat, and it lasts a couple years. Do it!

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
First off I am not in need of a life coach to organize anything. My organizational skills are just fine thanks. Second, don't assume someone is either lazy or unorganized because they don't have a day to spend detailing a car. There are plenty of factors at play, I work 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week and I can't detail a car in the dark, it rains a lot in FL and I can't detail my car in the rain, I also take care of my mother that lives with me. Between working 50+ hrs a week and on days off running my mom to and from appointments and errands I'm not left with much spare time. I wish I had a day to spend doing something for myself but don't.

Not everyone has a dishonest detailer that recommends things that aren't necessary in order to make a buck. Everyone has different needs and expectations of products. Not everyone is ill informed either and some spend money wisely. I had a detailer quote me close to 2k for Modesta and paint correction which I felt was ridiculous and not what I was interested in. I wanted to try a coating for a change and to provide added protection for my car sitting outside exposed to the elements day in and day out. I'm happy with the CQuartz coating and it suits my needs. You're needs and opinions are different from mine and that's fine.

Jww92201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I just want people to do it themselves because I'm tired of detailers trying to scare people into making them a buck... there is precious little that is actually easier in proper detailing than installing a nano sealant for a final coat, and it lasts a couple years. Do it!
The people disagreeing are the same people that will take Cilajet installation since the "Top Sales Guy" recommended it.

It also doesn't help there are 10+ different nano coatings to choose from all competing against each other, but I'm sure the guy arguing over cost also doesn't understand that most people put a coating over a PPF because otherwise it would wear and yellow due to UV rays, it's not just some gimmick!

They don't understand the amount of meticulous prep work goes into applying any type of nano coating.. Sure if you have your own shop or massive A/C garage go for it! It's 12-14 hours regardless of work and that's where the cost comes from, the coating is easy to put on just know how long to wait for it to flash and you're good to go! But trust me if you don't know what you're doing and let it get tacky good luck getting it off!

There are people with coated cars and those without, if you want to 5 step your car every year fine go ahead, I respect that because as a detailer I find the art of it, however I'll enjoy 1 stepping my car and applying reload prior to selling it and the next owner will get a car with a gleaming paint finish. :thumbsup:

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
First off I am not in need of a life coach to organize anything. My organizational skills are just fine thanks. Second, don't assume someone is either lazy or unorganized because they don't have a day to spend detailing a car. There are plenty of factors at play, I work 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week and I can't detail a car in the dark, it rains a lot in FL and I can't detail my car in the rain, I also take care of my mother that lives with me. Between working 50+ hrs a week and on days off running my mom to and from appointments and errands I'm not left with much spare time. I wish I had a day to spend doing something for myself but don't.

Not everyone has a dishonest detailer that recommends things that aren't necessary in order to make a buck. Everyone has different needs and expectations of products. Not everyone is ill informed either and some spend money wisely. I had a detailer quote me close to 2k for Modesta and paint correction which I felt was ridiculous and not what I was interested in. I wanted to try a coating for a change and to provide added protection for my car sitting outside exposed to the elements day in and day out. I'm happy with the CQuartz coating and it suits my needs. You're needs and opinions are different from mine and that's fine.

FWIW I assume people lack organizational skills any time they default to the "I don't have time for that" excuse instead of admitting it doesn't fall into their priority matrix for determining what actually gets your free time that we all do actually have and/or can make with some effort.

But you're right, different needs and wants and all that which is fine by me. I apologize if you were offended by my post.
Sponsored