Sponsored

Best Nano Sealant

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The people disagreeing are the same people that will take Cilajet installation since the "Top Sales Guy" recommended it.

It also doesn't help there are 10+ different nano coatings to choose from all competing against each other, but I'm sure the guy arguing over cost also doesn't understand that most people put a coating over a PPF because otherwise it would wear and yellow due to UV rays, it's not just some gimmick!

They don't understand the amount of meticulous prep work goes into applying any type of nano coating
I agree. It's the same pitch as the old "undercoating" from the dealership. something you simply may not need but is a big profit maker for them. Most people, not on car forums, have no idea what a coating does but dealer or detailer makes a big sales pitch and they drop $1000-1500; at a near 95% profit to the detailer as the coating itself and a foam applicator and a few microfiber towels costs $100 or less per car. What it actually does for bare paint is debatable when its on a microscopic level.

The prep work is 99.9% of the "pop" people post photos of (which I still think is hilarious to post pics of a shiny car with a microscopic coating on there as if one could see anything eye 6 inches from it in person) is the polishing. ANY car polished with care will pop like crazy as the defects/swirls/etc are affecting how the light hits the clear and reflects. Less swirls/scratches=more clarity/pop.

There are way more than 10; I've seen about 50. And who knows again, what it's doing or not doing versus another when you're talking single digit microns thick; a fraction of a human hair.

And FYI, coating isn't really necessary over PPF these days. Good PPF film has UV protection and the glue doesnt yellow anywhere near as easily as the old stuff from 10 years ago.
Sponsored

bmailpb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I agree. It's the same pitch as the old "undercoating" from the dealership. something you simply may not need but is a big profit maker for them. Most people, not on car forums, have no idea what a coating does but dealer or detailer makes a big sales pitch and they drop $1000-1500; at a near 95% profit to the detailer as the coating itself and a foam applicator and a few microfiber towels costs $100 or less per car. What it actually does for bare paint is debatable when its on a microscopic level.

The prep work is 99.9% of the "pop" people post photos of (which I still think is hilarious to post pics of a shiny car with a microscopic coating on there as if one could see anything eye 6 inches from it in person) is the polishing. ANY car polished with care will pop like crazy as the defects/swirls/etc are affecting how the light hits the clear and reflects. Less swirls/scratches=more clarity/pop.

There are way more than 10; I've seen about 50. And who knows again, what it's doing or not doing versus another when you're talking single digit microns thick; a fraction of a human hair.

And FYI, coating isn't really necessary over PPF these days. Good PPF film has UV protection and the glue doesnt yellow anywhere near as easily as the old stuff from 10 years ago.
You are correct on almost all of your points, except that I will argue about the ceramic coatings. I have been putting cquartz on all of my cars, one at a time, and I can tell you that the ones that have it are infinitely easier to clean and don't get swirls in them from regular washing (2 bucket method). In fact, my gt350, which has 4 coats of cquartz finest hasn't been washed in 7 months. Even when I kill a ton of bugs during a backroad drive, all it takes is a little quick detailer and they all come off.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You are correct on almost all of your points, except that I will argue about the ceramic coatings. I have been putting cquartz on all of my cars, one at a time, and I can tell you that the ones that have it are infinitely easier to clean and don't get swirls in them from regular washing (2 bucket method). In fact, my gt350, which has 4 coats of cquartz finest hasn't been washed in 7 months. Even when I kill a ton of bugs during a backroad drive, all it takes is a little quick detailer and they all come off.
Or you are more careful with it than you would otherwise be and it appears to stay cleaner to the eye knowing the coating is there :thumbsup:

Anecdotal evidence really. I've seen no science behind any of the loose claims.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
The people disagreeing are the same people that will take Cilajet installation since the "Top Sales Guy" recommended it.

It also doesn't help there are 10+ different nano coatings to choose from all competing against each other, but I'm sure the guy arguing over cost also doesn't understand that most people put a coating over a PPF because otherwise it would wear and yellow due to UV rays, it's not just some gimmick!

They don't understand the amount of meticulous prep work goes into applying any type of nano coating.. Sure if you have your own shop or massive A/C garage go for it! It's 12-14 hours regardless of work and that's where the cost comes from, the coating is easy to put on just know how long to wait for it to flash and you're good to go! But trust me if you don't know what you're doing and let it get tacky good luck getting it off!

There are people with coated cars and those without, if you want to 5 step your car every year fine go ahead, I respect that because as a detailer I find the art of it, however I'll enjoy 1 stepping my car and applying reload prior to selling it and the next owner will get a car with a gleaming paint finish. :thumbsup:

At 12-14 hours, $1500 is over $100 an hour... for simple labor without any particularly special tools. That's jokes, right?

And FWIW it would really take 20 or so hours to do a multi stage paint correction, wheels off polish and coating, engine compartment, interior, etc... but that's just picking nits isn't it?

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
At 12-14 hours, $1500 is over $100 an hour... for simple labor without any particularly special tools. That's jokes, right?

And FWIW it would really take 20 or so hours to do a multi stage paint correction, wheels off polish and coating, engine compartment, interior, etc... but that's just picking nits isn't it?
It's insane. And people complain about doctors and lawyers with over half a dozen years of expensive schooling who make a few hundred and hour if they're lucky.

But anyone with a $300-400 DA can make $100+ per hour and it's perfectly acceptable and defended.

Wait... you don't believe science?! I mean... I don't even know what to say here.
No no. I mean I've seen no SCIENTIFIC tests coatings do a damn thing. Just people's slanted opinions defending their industry or purchase on how water beads to the eye or how clean it is to the eye. No scientific tests by independent 3rd parties that coatings actually do a thing or are any better than a sealant and/or wax, or "harder" composition to prevent swirls or any data.

I think that is HIGHLY suspicious after all of these years on the market there is no legitimate data. People here are nuts enough to send their used oil off to a lab for scientific data to argue oil change interval and brands, a whole $50-75 for an oil change of cost, but just buy into coatings hype hook line and sinker for $1,000+ based on anecdotal evidence and how it looks to the eye? Just perplexing that logic.

Jww92201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I cleaned my car up today, foam bath, touch less dry, tire detail and barrels cleaned, rims polished and dressed, reload applied and final wipe with detail spray, wiped down the interior and coated the seats with CQuartz fabric guard. First time I've done foam bath since getting the coating. Did I mention it was free? Make friends with your detailer and get the hook ups. :thumbsup:

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanotechnology

That's a pretty good link to get the basics of Nanotechnology. Of course, it's very difficult to find specifics on products mainly because everyone wants to protect thier recipes.

It's probably easier for me to accept since my father retired from silicon development so he could become a professor of nanotechnology.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I had ceramicpro put on my car. It still collects pollen, it still gets a film of dirt, it still gets micro scratches, it gets water spots, bugs can still die if hit by my car and the car can still be dented. It's not impermeable.

Now, the coating does do what I expected, very well in fact. It helps repel water, makes dirt easier to remove, allows for bugs/tar to be removed easier, allows for an easier car wash in general and makes it have a nice shiny finish without having to wax.

That being said, I can ALMOST get away with a completely touchless carwarsh and get the results of a freshly detailed car. If I use my foam cannon and leaf blower alone, most of the dirt is removed. I'm not happy enough with that, so I still wipe the car down with the foam on the car, then use the leaf blower to dry off whatever water stayed on the car. Followed by hand drying.

I do believe that Magnetic Metallic hides dirt very well, so there may be some illusion in there, but I know for a fact that the coating helps in those areas I listed.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanotechnology

That's a pretty good link to get the basics of Nanotechnology. Of course, it's very difficult to find specifics on products mainly because everyone wants to protect thier recipes.

It's probably easier for me to accept since my father retired from silicon development so he could become a professor of nanotechnology.
I think you're misunderstanding my context. I didnt mean there wasn't science to nanotech materials in general, more like the claims these individual manufacturers are claiming with a mere 2 micron thick application- does not siwrl, "9H" hardness, repels "fallout, bird poo, and bugs" better than a regular wax or sealant- all of the ridiculous claims.

Sponsored

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
I was at a track day at the pocono raceway two weekends ago. ~20 cars. Hell cats, Cameros, some VW and Subaru's.

As we lined the cars up for tech and staging on pit lane, we had time to walk around and chat about cars.

I will tell you that there was a difference between my car and the others. Depth, brightness and clarity in the paint. They were all asking how I was taking care of my car.

The pics do not do justice. It needs to be seen.

You wax guys can sit back and argue the science. Claim saved money. You are justified to do that. No, I won't give you 1500 to detail my car and correct the paint. At this point, you are not capable to take in the data and good coaching to see the faults in the pro wax argument. You aretalking with the son of a nano tech expert. Jeez...free classes.

Resistance is not futile here. Keep your waxing going, I will to on some of my cars. The ones I really care about will be sealed. That's okay as well.

Each to their own. Good luck brother!

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
I was at a track day at the pocono raceway two weekends ago. ~20 cars. Hell cats, Cameros, some VW and Subaru's.

As we lined the cars up for tech and staging on pit lane, we had time to walk around and chat about cars.

I will tell you that there was a difference between my car and the others. Depth, brightness and clarity in the paint. They were all asking how I was taking care of my car.

The pics do not do justice. It needs to be seen.

You wax guys can sit back and argue the science. Claim saved money. You are justified to do that. No, I won't give you 1500 to detail my car and correct the paint. At this point, you are not capable to take in the data and good coaching to see the faults in the pro wax argument. You aretalking with the son of a nano tech expert. Jeez...free classes.

Resistance is not futile here. Keep your waxing going, I will to on some of my cars. The ones I really care about will be sealed. That's okay as well.

Each to their own. Good luck brother!
Agree with you. My cars only get sealed. The haters here have never done it so they don't know what they're talking about.

I will never pay $1,00-$1,500 though. I can find people all day long who will apply Opticoat Pro for $500 all day long. This will last three years plus and for me five years plus since my car is always garaged and I apply Optimum Optiseal every couple of months over my Opticoat.

Wax?? Lmao. No way. My BMW lasted 3.5 years with the original Opticoat and beaded water like nobodies business. Until you have it on your car and see what it does you have no clue because you're just looking at what it cost and have no idea the benefits.

Every car I own going forward will have nano coat. For the wax guys. Spend $25-$30 for a small bottle of Optiseal and put it over your wax and see what happens. Amazon sells it and this is great but nothing like Opti Coat Pro. People aren't spending $1,000 plus for a nano coat because it's BS. It works. There are some truly ignorant posts here BTW.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
It's not a case of arguing. I've said I agree with Patrick and a few others and the son of the inventor ...Nano Sealants are here to stay. As it is a fairly recent thing there are many unscrupulous people that just want the $$$$ and are not experiences at detail work or the application process required...hence shit job! Also not everyone here lives in a large city with all services.

Here in Canada the entire population is less than the population of California! The Nanos will get better and detainers will learn as will the do it yourselfers!

What is the best?? How long is it guaranteed to last?? Let us know gurus. I could come over to the dark side! lol :cheers:

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
It's not a case of arguing. I've said I agree with Patrick and a few others and the son of the inventor ...Nano Sealants are here to stay. As it is a fairly recent thing there are many unscrupulous people that just want the $$$$ and are not experiences at detail work or the application process required...hence shit job! Also not everyone here lives in a large city with all services.

Here in Canada the entire population is less than the population of California! The Nanos will get better and detainers will learn as will the do it yourselfers!

What is the best?? How long is it guaranteed to last?? Let us know gurus. I could come over to the dark side! lol :cheers:
There is not really a "best" because they are all a little different.

In my experience (correct me if I'm wrong) it seems the ones that have the most shine and pop don't last as long. Others (I can speak from experience) like Opticoat Pro are less shiny but last longer.

My original OptiCoat (applied in December 2012) which wasn't as good as the new OptiCoat Pro lasted over 3 years and was still going strong. I think OptiCoat Pro will last 4-5 years easily. Especially being garaged all the time and applying Optiseal over it.

I agree with you that some people don't know what they're doing and are charging too much. Ask how long they've been doing it. If they've only been doing it a year or two..I'd pass. Not to say that there aren't some detailers who are good but new to it.

Also, I wouldn't pay $1,000-$1,500 because I've been able to find people who will do it for $500. Maybe I'd pay $750 but that would be maximum for me. Next question is how long will this process take? If they say 1-2 hours...Pass. This process (which should include paint correction) should be a 5-6 hour process.

I also ask the detailer if I can take a look at their cars? I also like to ask them if they are perfectionists or not. My last guy showed me his green 2007 Jeep Wrangler whose paint job looked amazing. He bragged about how great it still looked.

My real convincing event for me occurred three years after I applied it. There was a guy with the same 2013 Estoril blue 335i BMW in my garage. He used to park next to me because I had a nice car and he knew I wouldn't mess his car up. His car wasn't nanocoated. The difference in our paint jobs was totally different. The paint and shine on mine blew his away. It wasn't even close. I don't know if his car was parked outside or garaged but the difference between the two was night and day. I was already convinced about the coatings so this was just icing on the cake. Some people enjoy the waxing process but I don't want to spend 2 or 3 hours doing this. I'd rather do something else on my weekends. To each their own.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
My Black Stang has bee wet sanded and polished, so paint correction is done. Just have wax on it now..could I do the Nano Coating myself?
Sponsored