Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
for someone who never wants to gut the car to put aftermarket speakers in. 401a is worth it... it sounds ALOT better than 400a but it isn't mind blowing. It sounds just as good but maybe not as clear as my wife's 2015 rogue that has bose in it or the full polk speakers with alpine head unit I had in my 350Z, but it sounds just as good as my previous car which was a veloster turbo with upgraded audio.

my days of ripping door panels apart are over. I have tuned the radio to my liking and I think it sounds quite good for what it is.
Sponsored

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
for someone who never wants to gut the car to put aftermarket speakers in. 401a is worth it... it sounds ALOT better than 400a but it isn't mind blowing. It sounds just as good but maybe not as clear as my wife's 2015 rogue that has bose in it or the full polk speakers with alpine head unit I had in my 350Z, but it sounds just as good as my previous car which was a veloster turbo with upgraded audio.

my days of ripping door panels apart are over. I have tuned the radio to my liking and I think it sounds quite good for what it is.
I'm happy to settle these days too.

In my C6 I did a full JL component system with a 10W3v3 and a HD900/5 amp, prior to that I had comparable systems in a few other cars. I loved them, but to be honest these days I trade cars away every 18-24 months. It's just not worth it to me anymore to gut the car for that amount of time. Plus, after you've put in the resonance damping material (I used dyna and RAAM Mat + Ensolite foam), good wires and buy or create any speaker mounting plates you're in for a good sum of cash. Money that may be very hard to recover when you sell the car. I still have a custom sub box for one of my last cars that is awesome, it is a CNC cut perfect fit that went under the floor in the trunk next to the spare tire, so you lost no storage room. I have had a very hard time to find anyone that wants it, so it's still here with a JL XD300/1 amp.

Since we've been in the 70's here I have been driving my C7 with the Bose system and it is better than the 401a shaker, but I think the 401a setup is "good enough" to play music and sound good doing it while driving once you tune it for your musical tastes. Obviously neither OEM systems are going to win any awards.

I also think people complaining about the Shaker system should read some reviews of the $6000+ B&O system upgrade in the Audi's. They are generally not good.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
For the price of the Shaker system you could definitely install aftermarket speakers and amplifier that would sound better. Of course you wouldn't have BLIS or memory seats but if thats not a factor then why spend the money? I'm currently debating this option for my order.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Lots of people IMO look at the 401A /201A price tag and say: "The Shaker PRO is not worth the money." Does anyone exactly know how much money goes to BLIS, Memory SEATS and the Shaker Pro setup? In Canada the 201A was $2,000. Used Shaker systems with Navigation are sold at Ebay for $1,200 CAD. (They can't be that bad IMO) BLIS and the Memory SEATS are why I got the 201A. That I got the Shaker Pro / 12 speaker on top is fine. Our 2014 Jeep GC has Harman Kardon standard radio setup and sounds amazing for me. I didn't play that much with the Shaker system because it is friggen cold outside mostly right now. But for me it sounds good. I do enjoy driving around with my Mustang then paying attention to the sound system. I have no idea who makes the Shaker radios at all. :shrug:

Last edited:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Clarion makes shaker

For the price of the Shaker system you could definitely install aftermarket speakers and amplifier that would sound better. Of course you wouldn't have BLIS or memory seats but if thats not a factor then why spend the money? I'm currently debating this option for my order.
you could, but that means gutting the interior apart...and it never being the same once you put it back together. i debated this forever too...trying to settle for 400a but it sounds so blah and doesn't get nearly as loud either. I refuse to put aftermarket stuff in, so i got the 401a and yeah just happens to have the USEFUL blis and memory seats.

Sponsored

Jamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra Coupe
Clarion makes shaker

you could, but that means gutting the interior apart...and it never being the same once you put it back together. i debated this forever too...trying to settle for 400a but it sounds so blah and doesn't get nearly as loud either. I refuse to put aftermarket stuff in, so i got the 401a and yeah just happens to have the USEFUL blis and memory seats.
It really doesn't have to be that bad. What you do is just power a two channel amplifier from the high level speaker input to the front speakers only. Don't take out the factory head unit. Keep that stock so the dash stays the same. Just tap into the wires going into the speaker from the door at the speaker.

Then just replace the front door speakers and tweeters only. Leave the rears alone. Tap into the rear speaker wire to get a sub woofer input to a subwoofer amp. Now you can balance the speakers and sub with the fader.

Your installer will only have to remove and replace the door cover, and run the wires, which should not be destructive.

Now, I think you can only do this with the base radio, or it gets more complicated. And a professional should do it. But I think your steering wheel controls will continue to work. And the sound is about 10,000 times as good, depending on the quality of the components you use.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
or just keep the stock 401a and not have anything effected with the interior. if you're someone who's going to keep it forever it's a different story..but once you start taking interior pieces apart, it's never the same.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
That's all dependent on the quality of the installation. You get what you pay for when it comes to aftermarket stereo upgrades.

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance
Biggest disappointment for me seems to be the same as many others, the radio. I have a GT Premium with the Shaker Pro system, and it's simply underwhelming. Ford asks a lot of money for an upgraded radio that is anything but.
The left front dash rattle and body panel alignment issues are annoying, but overall this car is awesome. Truly amazing.
Hah! Truly spoken - the best sounding system in the car is the car itself!
Turn OFF the stereo, launch the car, wind through the gears, listen to the engine and exhaust, and thank God and Ford that this sweet-handling, 435-horsepower bit of heaven is available for a price that we were all available to afford. Life is good! :headbang:

[email protected]

waynesworld
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
wayne
Vehicle(s)
race red gt premium auto
I am watching video on my ipad mini 4g attached to the windshield right under the rv mirror,running audio via blutooth which sounds pretty good for now,as for the flashing green led on the start/stop buttom jimmy,if you stay in your car for five minutes without hitting ss button it will time out and shut down all power to accessories,so when you push ss button to shut down engine you need to push it twice to go into acc mode which will run lights and sound as long as you need,thats when the blinking green light flashes,to tell you you are in acc mode,like turning your key 1 click to run accessories,

Sponsored

Dragen

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EBPP
I am watching video on my ipad mini 4g attached to the windshield right under the rv mirror,running audio via blutooth which sounds pretty good for now,as for the flashing green led on the start/stop buttom jimmy,if you stay in your car for five minutes without hitting ss button it will time out and shut down all power to accessories,so when you push ss button to shut down engine you need to push it twice to go into acc mode which will run lights and sound as long as you need,thats when the blinking green light flashes,to tell you you are in acc mode,like turning your key 1 click to run accessories,
You're doing too much. If I'm reading right and you just want to sit in the car and use the stereo you don't need to push the start button to power up, just hit the on/off button for the stereo. It has power reserve and will play without the car being in accessory mode.

Toofarfromjune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GTPP
I bought my gt today and have to say there are no disappointments, although the smell of all the new plastic stuff off gassing/burning in is a bit surprising. It only had 5 miles on it so I assume it's normal but my wife's Honda with 8 miles on it didn't stink like that.

I was shocked that I'm in CA and forgot to say anything and they did not drill out the front bumper/install front plate kit. Really made my day. I rolled up and asked about the black base pp that they had, it was still wrapped in all its plastics so they rushed it through their pdi or whatever. My salesman even went into the detail shop to assist the detailers in an effort to expedite my purchase and get me out on the road asap.