When to get oil pump gears.

jakefed4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium
Hey everyone I have a FBO e85 manual gen 2 mustang. I’m putting on the ESS g2 supercharger in June. I will be at 650-700 whp. I plan on doing a billet crank sprocket while I’m installing it but I’m gonna have a shop do the oil pump gears. Do the oil pump gears need to be done asap when I’m boosted or can it wait a little bit. I don’t know much about oil pump gears i know it obviously pumps oil but is it one of the things where if it breaks mid pull then my engine is shot?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
To answer your question:
If adding forced induction, do the OPG at the same time. You’re already investing time/money for the forced induction upgrade and will have things apart, so don’t skimp out…

OPG isn’t the only gear to be concerned with, specially if being boosted… look for threads on here regarding the crank snout gear too…

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If it breaks, you're pretty much done. It's not the worst thing in the world. Basic set of hand tools and watch a couple of YouTube videos. Taking your time, start pulling things Friday night, and you'll be buttoning it up Saturday night. If you do the ESS install too, you'll be done Sunday evening.

Watch this guys installation videos: He does a nice job showing you how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/@SpeedAddict731

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
To answer your question:
If adding forced induction, do the OPG at the same time. You’re already investing time/money for the forced induction upgrade and will have things apart, so don’t skimp out…

OPG isn’t the only gear to be concerned with, specially if being boosted… look for threads on here regarding the crank snout gear too…
He said he's doing the crank gears, so he definitely is going to be in the vicinity. I agree, he should just do it all at once.

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Hey everyone I have a FBO e85 manual gen 2 mustang. I’m putting on the ESS g2 supercharger in June. I will be at 650-700 whp. I plan on doing a billet crank sprocket while I’m installing it but I’m gonna have a shop do the oil pump gears. Do the oil pump gears need to be done asap when I’m boosted or can it wait a little bit. I don’t know much about oil pump gears i know it obviously pumps oil but is it one of the things where if it breaks mid pull then my engine is shot?
Replacing the Oil pump gears is a lot easier on your car than on Gen3 motors, because you don't have to drop the oil pan (provided you get a little crafty with a wrench and piece of wire to start the oil pickup tube bolt during installation)

You can buy pre-assembled oil pump assemblies with billet gears in them to save yourself some time.

One thing to note, that is not in the Ford procedure-

Sometimes you will hear of people installing these, and then shortly after starting the engine, they get a vibration, or rubbing sound, or worse, metal shavings in the oil due to misaligned OP gears.

IMHO, when you slip the new oil pump assembly onto the crankshaft, you should also then install 2 or 3 of the bolts that hold it to the block, but only finger tight. Then, rotate the crankshaft a few times. This will allow the gear to perfectly center the oil pump housing onto the crankshaft. Once you return the crank to the correct position, you then torque down the oil pump assembly.

OP
OP
jakefed4

jakefed4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium
To answer your question:

I definitely plan on doing them. I can put the ESS kit in but after watching videos on oil pump and crank sprocket I think it might be above my pay grade. Is this something that can wait a month or 2 after I’m boosted also if the OPG breaks does that mean the engine is done.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
if the OPG breaks does that mean the engine is done.
If a gear breaks it can't pump oil, bearings don't like being without oil. Not to mention the damage the broken gear itself will inflict.
I'd do it before, at the same time would be the latest.

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
With a blower it's like insurance. You hope you don't need it but if you do you have it.

Get it done while getting your blower installed.

ToxicOverwatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado- extremely stock
Don’t rush the process. I know you’re excited, but have all of your supporting equipment squared away before you increase the powertrain load by ~50%. You will do all that work and every time you step on it, it’ll be in the back of your mind. Give yourself the ability to relax, and don’t risk a catastrophic failure.

Sponsored

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
If Ford Racing/Whipple warranty the engines with the stock OPG's....
It's only for 3 years. Then you are on your own.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It's only for 3 years. Then you are on your own.
if it hasn't broken in 3 years, chances are it won't. Just because some company adds the billet moniker, that doesn't mean shit. How many of you's check the tolerances on these aftermarket OPG's ? I'm betting not many.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
not a gen 2.. but stock opg here.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
I definitely plan on doing them. I can put the ESS kit in but after watching videos on oil pump and crank sprocket I think it might be above my pay grade. Is this something that can wait a month or 2 after I’m boosted also if the OPG breaks does that mean the engine is done.
Are you trying to justify saving a few bucks vs. blowing up your engine? What is the difference in cost? Gears are probably less expensive than a new engine but I am just guessing. Skinflinting here is not in your best interest. Curious as to how old you are. Really not putting down your choices, do what you want.
Sponsored

Last edited: