Sponsored

What's In DFB's Cabinet?

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
@DFB5.0 Thanks for the suggestions I was thinking that maybe a pass with a brush would help. I like the mittens but don't. I find them difficult to hold so maybe can swap out or this could replace the random rag at the end.

@tosha They are ceramic coated which does help. Oddly many times I have given the same advice to others that a rim of this complication just comes with a level of "fuck it..." and perfection is just something you cant hope for. I do my best.
Sponsored

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Sensei @DFB5.0

I applied 1 coat Cquartz 3.0 a year ago on my car. Its has been maintained properly. I want to apply a coat of SIC.

How would you do it?

Decon, wash with Lift or Reset, use Essence Plus or Essence, apply SIC?

Thanks!

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I too wondered about the absence of larger containers for Opti-M, D. But, even at US prices it's still too much for what you get. I'm gonna stick with Reset and that lovely scent.
Can't go wrong with Reset. Still my favorite :) Although the M wash is amazing. I switch between GSF and Reset most of the time and throw in NV Snow once in a while. I used Gyeon Bathe for a while but it has fallen out of favor lately... Not a bad soap, just not in my rotation anymore with the others that are so excellent...

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
@DFB5.0 Thanks for the suggestions I was thinking that maybe a pass with a brush would help. I like the mittens but don't. I find them difficult to hold so maybe can swap out or this could replace the random rag at the end.

@tosha They are ceramic coated which does help. Oddly many times I have given the same advice to others that a rim of this complication just comes with a level of "fuck it..." and perfection is just something you cant hope for. I do my best.
Perhaps have a look at TRC's new Wool Wheel Mitt. These are smaller than the microfiber version, fitting over your fingers rather than your whole hand. That smaller size can help with more intricate wheels where traditional sized towels or wash mitts would be too bulky.

ULTRA Wool Wheel Mitt | The Rag Company

These are similar to the Flexi-pad versions I have been using..........................

Lambskin Wheel Mitt | Merino Wool Cleaning Pads | Obsessed Garage

flexi1.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Sensei @DFB5.0

I applied 1 coat Cquartz 3.0 a year ago on my car. Its has been maintained properly. I want to apply a coat of SIC.

How would you do it?

Decon, wash with Lift or Reset, use Essence Plus or Essence, apply SIC?

Thanks!
I wouldn't use a polish in this case, even though Essence Plus is a non-abrasive. Reset won't be strong enough here either.

A thorough decon and quick wipe over with Eraser should have you set. I would do the following -

1. Apply Iron Remover to the whole car, allow to soak but not dry. You will need 500 to 600ml for a Mustang.

2. Foam Carpro Lift over the top of the iron remover after about 5 minutes, allow to soft for another 5 minutes.

3. Thorough rinse.

4. Foam and then wash with Carpro Descale. (Descale targets mineral deposits, both seen and unseen.)

5. Rinse thoroughly. If needed, treat any tar deposits with TarX, making sure to rinse again afterwards.

6. Blow dry. Using Carpro Eraser as your drying aid, mop up any remaining water.

7. Apply SIC.

The idea is to rid the coating of contamination, which then allows SIC to bond to the coating and not the contamination.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Sensei @DFB5.0
LOVED this, Alberto!

Can't go wrong with Reset.
That's my feeling, Alex. It seems most of us are plagued by serious cases of OCD <smiling> and because of that issue, we are always in search of "better." But eventually, at least in my case, we find that the old addage is right on..

"Better is the enemy of good." <grin>

A perfect example IMO is "foam quality." My OCD'er's brain automatically thinks that thicker, denser foam will strip the dirt off our babies when in fact a less dense foam that runs is probably better at removing the grime.

Of course, I have no emperical data to support that hypothesis (although I hope our Sensei D chimes in.) <grin> Perhaps most importantly, the runnier foam is again, probably the better choice IF..and I think that's an important IF..your workflow doesn't include a rinse post foaming and you wash the car without rinsing the foam off first. (I rinse first.)

These are similar to the Flexi-pad versions I have been using.
I still use the OG wool mitt on the wheels every wash and it's my favorite (so far) for getting the outer face, behind the spokes, and the tire to agitate the old dressing after which I scrub the rubber with the DF Tire Brush, another favorite.

But my dear friend, I have a confession. <sigh> I've really tried to like the CurveBall for dressing the SD's rubber but for me at least, the bristless are just too soft and I find myself pressing too firmly against the surface to get the dressing to spread to my satisfaction. It's also impossible (for me at least,) to get down into the bead ring against the wheel without getting it all over the wheel.

Granted, that's NBD, dressing wipes off easily but, I don't have that problem if I use a smaller, stiffer brush. Any of the large, standard detailing brushes work better for me.

HOWEVER, I would like to get one in the generic format but, larger. I've done a good bit of searching for larger diameter, stiff detailing brushes but so far, the only possiblity I've found is this combo from DF. Most of the DF brushes intentionally use softer bristles but these two are apparently stiffer for nooks and crannies and I'm wondering if you have used either of them? TIA..

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
The idea is to rid the coating of contamination, which then allows SIC to bond to the coating and not the contamination.
I didn't know that CarPro had updated CQuartz to v3 and that obviously got my attention since I plan to re-coat my girl in the near future. I've been very happy with v2 (four years ago,) so I'm anxious to try the new formula, Alberto (@larr12) and I would very much like to hear your comments afterward.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
That's my feeling, Alex. It seems most of us are plagued by serious cases of OCD <smiling> and because of that issue, we are always in search of "better." But eventually, at least in my case, we find that the old addage is right on..

"Better is the enemy of good." <grin>

A perfect example IMO is "foam quality." My OCD'er's brain automatically thinks that thicker, denser foam will strip the dirt off our babies when in fact a less dense foam that runs is probably better at removing the grime.

Of course, I have no emperical data to support that hypothesis (although I hope our Sensei D chimes in.) <grin> Perhaps most importantly, the runnier foam is again, probably the better choice IF..and I think that's an important IF..your workflow doesn't include a rinse post foaming and you wash the car without rinsing the foam off first. (I rinse first.)
Yes, I found that both Reset and M wash used at the appropriate dilution does make a nice clingy yet runny foam. When its too thick (if I double the dilution for example) it just clumps and falls off.. I like Reset in this regard, it is clingy and runny which is good. I like all the soaps I use for that reason. I have found LIft and Gyeon Foam do make much more thick foam which is OK but is a bit harder to rinse off. And Reset just smells so damn good :) and is good at what it does.

And as for rinsing, I do the foam, rinse, then foam again before taking the mit to paint. I use 1/2 the foam canon first, rinse, foam again then use 4 wash mits. One for roof, mirrors, and glass. One for Hood, flip and trunk and spoiler, then back area. One for each side, one side for the upper, flip then do the lowers.. Then I can dunk in the soapy water and contaminate at that point and go after the grimy bug gut front bumper :)

Last edited:

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Thanks @DFB5.0 I will get the products and follow your instructions!

Screenshot_20240508_120955_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
But my dear friend, I have a confession. <sigh> I've really tried to like the CurveBall for dressing the SD's rubber but for me at least, the bristless are just too soft and I find myself pressing too firmly against the surface to get the dressing to spread to my satisfaction. It's also impossible (for me at least,) to get down into the bead ring against the wheel without getting it all over the wheel.

Granted, that's NBD, dressing wipes off easily but, I don't have that problem if I use a smaller, stiffer brush. Any of the large, standard detailing brushes work better for me.

HOWEVER, I would like to get one in the generic format but, larger. I've done a good bit of searching for larger diameter, stiff detailing brushes but so far, the only possiblity I've found is this combo from DF. Most of the DF brushes intentionally use softer bristles but these two are apparently stiffer for nooks and crannies and I'm wondering if you have used either of them? TIA..
The brushes you linked are probably too small for tire dressing, they are designed for crevices.

I get it though, the Curveball is probably better suited to 40-series rubber and above. I make it work the my Mustang, but for the XR8 and Jaguar with 35 and 30-series tires, I've been using the stiffer boars hair version which Detail Factory call the Screwball. (Don't buy the DF version, its $43 USD, the Maxshine is what I use and its only $28 USD)

Screwball Brush – The Rag Company
Large Brush - Curved Grip, Large Soft Bristle Brush (maxshineusa.com)(Maxshine call it the "mixed bristle")

IMG-0917.jpg

IMG-0897.jpg

IMG-0921.jpg

Have you used the RaceGlaze XL from OG? That was and still is a very good-sized brush for the task.

Detailing Brush | RaceGlaze XL | Obsessed Garage Store

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The XR6 up on the lift this week for its annual service...................read: oil and filter change.

ser241.jpg

ser242.jpg

ser243.jpg

ser244.jpg

Actually, it was quite confusing for the service advisor. The odometer reads just 31,000 km (19,600 mile), but his computer said it was in for 105,000km (65,240 mile) service. I made things worse when I said its already had the 105,000km service a few times now. He looked backwards and forwards a few times in confusion, then took a photo for reference. In actual fact, being a 2008 with 15,000 km (9360 mile) service intervals, in theory it would have been in for the 225,000km (140,000 mile) service. In the end, I told him to just change the oil. :wink:

He then mentioned that they didn't have their detailer in to wash today. That made me VERY happy actually...................regardless, I still told him NOT to wash it, which he agreed it looked perfect anyway. I should have tipped him. :cwl:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
He then mentioned that they didn't have their detailer in to wash today. That made me VERY happy actually...................regardless, I still told him NOT to wash it, which he agreed it looked perfect anyway. I should have tipped him. :cwl:
You need one of these :

1715248665488-7b.png

1715248912581-oc.jpg

The other side just says 'DO NOT WASH' in large bold text :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
You need one of these :

1715248665488-7b.png

1715248912581-oc.jpg

The other side just says 'DO NOT WASH' in large bold text :like:

WD :like:
I have one of those, but think I've only used it once.

This is a more general observation, but I get the feeling most people don't bother to read signs in any situation. I see this daily, customers walking right past a sign, but then still ask "where is xyz?".

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The brushes you linked are probably too small for tire dressing, they are designed for crevices.

I get it though, the Curveball is probably better suited to 40-series rubber and above. I make it work the my Mustang, but for the XR8 and Jaguar with 35 and 30-series tires, I've been using the stiffer boars hair version which Detail Factory call the Screwball. (Don't buy the DF version, its $43 USD, the Maxshine is what I use and its only $28 USD)

Screwball Brush – The Rag Company
Large Brush - Curved Grip, Large Soft Bristle Brush (maxshineusa.com)(Maxshine call it the "mixed bristle")

IMG-0917.jpg

IMG-0897.jpg

IMG-0921.jpg

Have you used the RaceGlaze XL from OG? That was and still is a very good-sized brush for the task.

Detailing Brush | RaceGlaze XL | Obsessed Garage Store

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg
I use the car pro foam applicator for tires. Works great for me.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I use the car pro foam applicator for tires. Works great for me.
Yep, I use the 303 Car Care foam applicator for mine. I use the Curveball for detailing the front grilles. Gets in those honeycombs nicely. Of course they’re dirty as soon as you drive it but oh well.
Sponsored