What's In DFB's Cabinet?

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Yep, I use the 303 Car Care foam applicator for mine. I use the Curveball for detailing the front grilles. Gets in those honeycombs nicely. Of course they’re dirty as soon as you drive it but oh well.
YESS, I use the curveball for that as well, works fantastic. I do the 5.0 emblem, and the gas door too. I got the screwball but its too coarse for paint...
Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that looks familiar - my post from 2021 :

I’m surprised not to see a Christmas present thread, are we all to old or embarrassed to show off this years haul … ? :giggle:

I’m not, here’s mine :like:

Car related stuff :

1640676694172.jpeg

@DFB5.0 @kilobravo Thought you might like my new tyre dressing brush. @Kristian87 Knowing your love of glass cleaning, I got some new glass specific MF’s to try :

1640677381012.jpeg

WD :like:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
And as for rinsing, I do the foam, rinse, then foam again before taking the mit to paint.

I use 1/2 the foam canon first, rinse, foam again then use 4 wash mits.
HS, Alex! FOUR?! Now THAT my friend is over the top obsessive. <chuckling> Clearly, you have it worse than I. <BSEG>

The brushes you linked are probably too small for tire dressing, they are designed for crevices.
Very true, D, but I like a stiffer version for tire dressing so I can "push" it into the crevices.

Have you used the RaceGlaze XL from OG? That was and still is a very good-sized brush for the task.
I have not but I did consider it in the past. The thing is, my hand prefers having a handle rather than a ball because it's easier to move side to side via hand leverage to "paint" if that makes any sense.

Carpro have just launched a new brush for tire dressing
I had forgotten that you and WD previously posted your observations on the Screwball but while browsing just now, I did see the latest version from CP and it got my attention. When I saw your mention of the Maxshine version though, I liked the design even better and, it looks like it may have the stiffer bristles I prefer for this task. Ordered the "Mixed Bristle" version as I think it's probably the stiffest of the three choices.

I use the car pro foam applicator for tires. Works great for me.
I use the 303 Car Care foam applicator for mine.
Until I got the '20, I used a similar foam applicator from CG, Brian and was quite satisfied. But joining this forum pushed my obsessive tendencies to new heights and I began looking for one that was "more better." <BSEG>

However, I'm still not sure I like using a brush more but I will continue to investigate. Still have a bunch of the CG's pads for the wife's vehicle.

I got the screwball but its too coarse for paint...
Yep, GREAT brush for getting the dirt out of nooks and crannies, Alex, but IMO, far too soft for tire dressings.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
See if I can stump DB....

My special order '78 Trans Am WS6 has some kind of flexible strips between the fenders and flares. They have "yellowed" on this 28k mile always garaged car. There don't seem to be replacements available, and the yellowing "appears" to be just surface.

Anything that can safely clean them up? Gonna try Mr. Clean eraser, but what are other options if that fails.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

My special order '78 Trans Am WS6 has some kind of flexible strips between the fenders and flares. They have "yellowed" on this 28k mile always garaged car. There don't seem to be replacements available, and the yellowing "appears" to be just surface.

Anything that can safely clean them up? Gonna try Mr. Clean eraser, but what are other options if that fails.
Is it plastic? If so, try a headlight restorer. Make sure to tape off the painted parts of the car around it though.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

If you go the magic eraser route, I would tape of the surrounding paintwork as those things are incredibly abrasive.

Something you could also try on a small test section would be something like Carpro TarX. Apply to a towel and gently wipe, making sure to rinse afterwards. Not knowing the material of these, I would proceed with caution.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Is it plastic? If so, try a headlight restorer. Make sure to tape off the painted parts of the car around it though.
Can they be removed / replaced reasonably easily ?

If so, you could try the Lego technique :

https://thebrickblogger.com/2020/06/restoring-discolored-lego-bricks/

There are loads of videos on YouTube, maybe you could try just the very end of one of the pieces to check for suitability ?

Not hard plastic. More like rubber. They are body colored (Cameo White) but don't think its a coating. The back is flat against the fenders/quarter-panel. The front is grooved with the edge of the flares in it.

If you go the magic eraser route, I would tape of the surrounding paintwork as those things are incredibly abrasive.

Something you could also try on a small test section would be something like Carpro TarX. Apply to a towel and gently wipe, making sure to rinse afterwards. Not knowing the material of these, I would proceed with caution.
Thanks. Will mask before using magic eraser. Will try tar remover first.

Also found possible replacements with different search terms (flare welting). None are OEM and all but one source require painting. The other source has them color matched to car but waiting to see if those were just painted. I guess the factory ones could have been painted as well so will research that. Either way, would go with the color matched since they cost less than unpainted plus painting.

Goal still to retain original by cleaning.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Not hard plastic. More like rubber. They are body colored (Cameo White) but don't think its a coating. The back is flat against the fenders/quarter-panel. The front is grooved with the edge of the flares in it.

Thanks. Will mask before using magic eraser. Will try tar remover first.

Also found possible replacements with different search terms (flare welting). None are OEM and all but one source require painting. The other source has them color matched to car but waiting to see if those were just painted. I guess the factory ones could have been painted as well so will research that. Either way, would go with the color matched since they cost less than unpainted plus painting.

Goal still to retain original by cleaning.
Hmm. If it’s body color I’d be careful with the magic eraser too. As D said, they’re very abrasive, if it’s painted it will start taking paint too. I wonder if a tire cleaner would work since it’s more like a rubber than a plastic.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Post service sanity wash for the XR6 this morning.

This time, I washed the wheels and paint with the remainder of a bottle of Gtechniq G-Wash. Despite a lovely scent and decent slickness, I never really loved this soap.

IMG-9568.jpg

Drying Aid was Meguiar's Last Touch, the wheels wiped down with NV Boost v1 and the tyres dressed with Auto Finesse Satin, the only product from the brand that I ever liked. Glass was cleaned with Invisible Glass, the interior wiped over with ONR.

I then retuned the XR6 to storage for a while. Next week, its the Mustang's turn for a service.

And then, onto one of my favorite things to do, filling up spray bottles.

IMG-0326.jpg

Wraithracing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

Spoiler Welting is what the strips are called. It might have been molded in color originally, but the replacements are generally paint to match at this point. Here is one option for you. Hope that helps! https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1970_1981_Spoiler_to_Body_Welting_Gasket_Trim_Ea_p/spo-2027.htm

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Dark Matter Grey '23 GT Mustang , 1976 SS Torana
Post service sanity wash for the XR6 this morning.

This time, I washed the wheels and paint with the remainder of a bottle of Gtechniq G-Wash. Despite a lovely scent and decent slickness, I never really loved this soap.

IMG-9568.jpg

Drying Aid was Meguiar's Last Touch, the wheels wiped down with NV Boost v1 and the tyres dressed with Auto Finesse Satin, the only product from the brand that I ever liked. Glass was cleaned with Invisible Glass, the interior wiped over with ONR.

I then retuned the XR6 to storage for a while. Next week, its the Mustang's turn for a service.

And then, onto one of my favorite things to do, filling up spray bottles.

IMG-0326.jpg
Taking my GT in for first year service tommorow , gave it a big tub today in preparation . Got to take it in spotless so can give it once over before driving off . Pretty nervous tbh and being a tech this is the first car i have ever taken in for a service . Never have had another mechanic put a spanner to any of my cars before . Only reason im taking it there at all is due to this brake fluid recall thing

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Taking my GT in for first year service tommorow , gave it a big tub today in preparation . Got to take it in spotless so can give it once over before driving off . Pretty nervous tbh and being a tech this is the first car i have ever taken in for a service . Never have had another mechanic put a spanner to any of my cars before . Only reason im taking it there at all is due to this brake fluid recall thing
Fingers crossed for you. Make sure you insist on them NOT washing the car, have it noted on the service sheet.
Sponsored