Sponsored

Never Letting My Girlfriend Drive My Mustang Again...

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Alright so recently I just experienced one of the worst pains a car guy can have. This happened the other day when I let my girlfriend use my mustang (Which I never do because of this and will never let her again) but she was begging me and she didn't want to take the Tacoma so I said screw it why not...but even before she left I specifically instructed her on how to drive like I always do when I'm driving such as: "This car is lowered" and "Enter the driveway at an angle" etc... So she went on her way to do errands and what not and unfortunately at her last stop (Starbucks) the worst happened which was she decided to reverse park in spot for whatever reason and ended up hitting a cement pole scratching the left side of my rear bumper.

So now the million dollar question is what should I do? Cover it up with Street Aero stickers? New Bumper?...OR maybe if someone knows how to DIY fix-it that might include some elbow-grease on the bodywork that might not be an expensive fix??? I Don't Know...?

But any advice would be great before I end up taking it to a bodyshop if there isn't a cheaper option....

tempImage7ZFDge.png

tempImage2lHiYv.png

tempImageEfx0fY.png

tempImagelyEsme.png
NO one but me drives my cars........ lesson leaned I hope :question:
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I have a feeling everything I'm about to say has been said, but I'm going to say it again:

Mistakes happen, and maybe she was nervous because of how much pressure you were putting on her. Never forget it's just a car man. It's a thing. Things can usually (definitely in this case) be fixed, or at worst, replaced. Humans and their relationships cannot.

I used to be one of those car guys that wouldn't let any friends or family drive my cars, and parked in BFE and walked a lap or two around my car before driving away, and whose whole week was ruined if I found a new ding from a parking lot or rock chip... man was I a douche. Don't be me.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Also, FWIW, backing up into a spot is objectively safer and easier than driving face first into a spot, especially with a backup camera, which all our cars have.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
With the exception of my motorcycle everyone who lives in my home has the ability to safely operate every vehicle I own in whatever configuration they are in. If it's a manual they can drive it. If it pulls a trailer they can drive it - including backing. If it floats they know the basics of safe opperation. If there's an emergency (small or large) it may be important for someone else to be able to drive whatever. Accidents can happen to anyone and in the end they are just things.
If a few scratches cause this much angst then it's possible there are deeper issues in the relationship...

Sponsored

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
With the exception of my motorcycle everyone who lives in my home has the ability to safely operate every vehicle I own in whatever configuration they are in. If it's a manual they can drive it. If it pulls a trailer they can drive it - including backing. If it floats they know the basics of safe opperation. If there's an emergency (small or large) it may be important for someone else to be able to drive whatever. Accidents can happen to anyone and in the end they are just things.
If a few scratches cause this much angst then it's possible there are deeper issues in the relationship...
Deeper relationship issues assessment? C'mon now, we don't know anything about OP's life. Why jump to such huge conclusions.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Deeper relationship issues assessment? C'mon now, we don't know anything about OP's life. Why jump to such huge conclusions.
True enough, we don't know.
But to go on the internet and declare she brought his worst nightmare to life over a few very minor scratches certainly feels like an attempt to, idk, shame her???
Doesn't sound like a solid relationship to me.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I didn't read all 4 pages, but if she didn't offer to pay to fix it - dump her.

And I probably wouldn't fix it. My wife opened a car door into my GT350 and put a little ding in the passenger rear quarter. I just left it. It's a car and it's going to get some damage over time. It's meant to drive and have fun and even brand new, it will never be perfect. I think it's just more painful if you agonize over the imperfections. I say just let it go.

Last edited:

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
Try DIY first.
If that fails, body shop.
Maybe look on car-part.com for a pristine bumper. You never know...

IS she going to pay for it? Have you asked?
If she looks at you like you asked her to fly to the moon and back and pitches a fit, red flag. She's your girlfriend, not wife and should be held responsible and accountable. It's NOT punishment. I'm saying this with knowing absolutely nothing about the dynamics of your relationship, though.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Only you know the dynamics of your relationship. But I will say this, is she truly sorry or is she acting like - who cares, it's not my car? If it's the later, has she done anything before to raise a red flag? Just something to think about.

Sponsored

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1 Handling Package
Alright so recently I just experienced one of the worst pains a car guy can have. This happened the other day when I let my girlfriend use my mustang (Which I never do because of this and will never let her again) but she was begging me and she didn't want to take the Tacoma so I said screw it why not...but even before she left I specifically instructed her on how to drive like I always do when I'm driving such as: "This car is lowered" and "Enter the driveway at an angle" etc... So she went on her way to do errands and what not and unfortunately at her last stop (Starbucks) the worst happened which was she decided to reverse park in spot for whatever reason and ended up hitting a cement pole scratching the left side of my rear bumper.

So now the million dollar question is what should I do? Cover it up with Street Aero stickers? New Bumper?...OR maybe if someone knows how to DIY fix-it that might include some elbow-grease on the bodywork that might not be an expensive fix??? I Don't Know...?

But any advice would be great before I end up taking it to a bodyshop if there isn't a cheaper option....

tempImage7ZFDge.png

tempImage2lHiYv.png

tempImageEfx0fY.png

tempImagelyEsme.png
Take it to a body shop. Pay for it yourself (if it were me, I would not ask her to contribute). Ask the shop if the repair will appear on a Carfax report. If yes, keep these pics so if you ever trade it in to a dealership you can demonstrate that it was minor damage.

Nice of you to let her drive your Mustang. I have learned via my wife that sometimes sig others don't drive our cars as carefully as we do - even when they honestly try. So, when I found out my wife can't drive a manual transmission.... I bought my M1 with a manual transmission.. Problem solved..

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I think she should offer to pay at least half of the deductible. No one is driving my car without me inside it telling them how to do shit, but my car is modded and has 800 rwhp..

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
LOL, lots of y’all are nuts…it’s a frickin CAR. my wife can (and does) drive anything either of us own at any time, period end of story 😛

she can stack round bales with the John Deere, pull a double car trailer with the diesel, or take M4s to gapplebees with the Shelby if that’s what is called for 😎
Sponsored