Sponsored

GT350/R Mustang Performance Numbers (0-60 and 1/4 mile) from MT

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I personally am tired of hearing about drag times and projections with the 350. Who cares?

I sure as hell don't. :thumbsup: :ford:
Sponsored

Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Once Evan Smith gets his hands on it ......you will see 11's . Mark my word !

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Too many people concerned with what the hypocrite Camaro trolls are saying. Here are a few posts regarding a track-oriented car from their own mouths:

On a road-course 1/4 mile performance is not important at all except for maybe a standing start which is uncommon. It needs to pull hard off corners and down straights, but not from a standing start. BTW that is what both the high-revving LS7 and this Tremec 6 are built for pulling hard!
My guess on the z/28 1/4 times and mph is ZERO because nobody who buys one is going to want to be seen at a FREAKING DRAGSTRIP. I honestly don't get the 1/4 mile thing sometimes. It's not the be-all end-all of performance.

This car is a hunter; a production car killer. In the hands of a skilled driver it's going to terrorize production cars everywhere. Most drivers will lose their courage before this car will lose it's ability to perform. It's pretty much going to become THE car to have for HPDE, club events and track days. I can't wait to see the legend it creates for itself on the semi-pro/pro circuit. Nothing in this paragraph has or will have anything to do with 1/4 mile times.

Stingrays and Z/28s at Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring....there are some serious Chevy racing glory days just up ahead.
You can already guess based on hp, weight and gearing that it would do low 12's maybe high 11's but so what? Asking what a Z will do in the 1/4 is like asking how many free throws a baseball pitcher can make on the basketball court; it just doesn't fit. With all due respect it doesn't matter what it can do in the 1/4 because it's not going to be seen or used in the 1/4. It's not designed for that; Chevy already has the COPO and ZL1 that are designed to compete there. If anybody is interested in a 1/4 mile car they won't be buying this car. Those who can afford to spend $70k and will buy a Z/28 are either collectors or plan to run it on road courses.

Nothing against the OP but understanding what this car is really about has nothing to do with 1/4 mile and everything to do with the average lap speeds at tracks where we already have those statistics for the cars the Z is going to be competing against. And in that regard I have a feeling this car is going to embarrass foreign maker cars that cost considerably more.
The auto enthusiast magazines will likely run the Z/28 in the quarter mile as part of their perfunctory testing, but as most of us know the Z/28 was not designed for quarter mile racing. In fact, according to GM to preserve the track-focused nature of the Z/28 and to save weight, the Z/28 doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1, and is not recommended for drag racing. Accordingly, I doubt there will be many, if any, Z/28 owners who will participate in quarter mile racing with the Z/28. Therefore, as many have indicated, the quarter mile times and speed that the Z/28 can achieve are not likely to be particularly relevant to most Z/28 owners.

Now, because the quarter mile performance numbers for the GT350 and SS Camaro are within spitting distance of each other, the GT350 is "horrible".

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Lighter aluminum wheels (i.e. low 20 lbs each) with Cup2's or R-comps or even scrubs was my plan from the getgo... for track use primarily. The numbers coild have been a tad better but no qualms here... this car is for real road courses, not straight line slingshots.

titanfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Camaro, 2005 F150 FX4
I also remember this little piece regarding the tires on the z/28 and how they were not ideal for drag racing.
Motortrend: in reference to drag racing the Trofeo R's

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1409_on_chevrolet_camaro_do_the_tires_make_the_car/

The Drag Strip

Logically, you'd expect wider, stickier tires to improve grip and therefore improve a car's launch at the drag strip, and you'd be correct. The 1LE on its stock Goodyear tires hits 60 mph from a stop in 4.5 seconds and runs the quarter mile in 13.0 seconds at 109.1 mph. Fitted with the Z/28's Pirelli tires, the 1LE hit 60 mph in 4.3 seconds and ran the quarter mile in 12.7 seconds at 111.7 mph. That's a substantial improvement.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...tires_make_the_car/viewall.html#ixzz3b6NpDrl2

Using the same logic, you might expect skinnier, less sticky tires to hurt a car's launch, and you'd be wrong. What? Yep. The Z/28 on its stock Pirelli tires hit 60 mph in 4.0 seconds and ran the quarter mile in 12.3 seconds at 117.2 mph. On the 1LE's Goodyear tires, the Z/28 hit 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and ran the quarter mile in 12.2 seconds at 117.1 mph, a smaller but still significant improvement.

What's going on here? Per test driver Carlos Lago, both cars were easier to launch on the 1LE's Goodyear tires. There was less risk of bogging the engine and the tires chattered nicely right on the limits of grip and right in the meat of the power band. On the Z/28's Pirellis, both cars were trickier to launch. It was either hero or zero: The cars launched nicely or they bogged down and chugged off the line. The Pirellis just aren't great drag-racing tires

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...tires_make_the_car/viewall.html#ixzz3b6Nbr0af

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
The pirelli world challenge has a standing start. So launch control does come into play a little.

Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The gt350 is reminding me about the e92 m3. Beats every car in its segment on the track but loses to all straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
1/4 mile is a legitimate measure of a cars performance, and MT can't drive for shit. Common sense says this car will crack 11's in either iteration, because both have enough tire and mph.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
1/4 mile is a legitimate measure of a cars performance, and MT can't drive for shit. Common sense says this car will crack 11's in either iteration, because both have enough tire and mph.

The R won't be dropping to anything under 11.9. Folks are nuts to think low to mid 11s

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
The gt350 is reminding me about the e92 m3. Beats every car in its segment on the track but loses to all straight line.

Hmmmm....I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that it was engineered for optimal track performance? As I pointed out earlier, folks on the Camaro forums were disappointed at the 1/4 mile of the z/28, too, but that did not keep them from proclaiming it as touched by the hand of God.
Sponsored