Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Ultimately I think the 7.3 will be embraced by the aftermarket economy. There are only so many of these types of engines around - so...

Now, have you guys ever looked at the Mustang demographics. Or the ages of the people on this board. I’d say mostly middle-aged. Once the products are out there there will be interest and unlike the millennials, these guys have money to burn.

This swap is just ahead of the curve and that works for me!
It might it might not.

The old guys that have the money to burn will probably just buy a GT500 instead of paying 30K to swap in a motor home engine
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
By the time this project starts the next, faster, probably electrified, Mustang will be shown to the public. Any real interest in swapping motors in to and out of an old model will evaporate.

The new G7 Mustang will look modern and be much faster. No one will care about swaps into the 2015 Mustang.

Better to buy a Mk3 Coyote now (they appear to be bomb proof) and enjoy it.
Then wait for the super torque G7.

Maybe for the younger set that jive to the I4.

I think the Coyote is not long for this world so that means only Godzilla in the future. There will be aftermarket support and all sorts of go fast goodies for the old school

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
How dare you talk about feelings!

It’s all about equations and theory!

Tesla’s are fast and feel fast because they are fast! Flat torque curve.

I only listen to engineers that still have a slide rule with the bamboo inserts. The ultimate: a bunch of bespectacled engineers in lab coats with slide rules (with bamboo inserts), pocket protectors, and with their arms crossed in front of their chests - real authoritarian like! Now I listen!!!
I'll take the Blue line any day vs the red line......
The red line only wins arm chair races......

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The port systems available for these engines would make driveability just fine. Maybe it wouldn't be as refined as a brand new design 7.3, but the OP doesn't want refined modern engine feel. We have no idea what problems will come with the 7.3L. There is no way of knowing how cleanly a 7.3 will mate to a Mustang A10. Either way, you're looking at a lot of fab work.

Port injection on a 427 windsor isn’t super cheap either. Believe me, I’ve investigated both. The most economical option is throttle body injection with its built in ecu. Otherwise, you’re looking at either a custom intake or a supervic efi. You’ll need to add injectors, throttle body and a custom ECU with harness.

As for the A10, why not just use the A10 that it’s likely going to already be bolted to out of the junk yard? If that’s not suitable, I’d fully expect either a bellhousing swap or a direct bolt in. Having a unique A10 bolting pattern for just the 7.3L would be lunacy.

We are talking about Mustangs. I doubt they will be popular in the S550 community. Sure, maybe some older hotrodders will want them to play with. That will all depend on cost of the engine. The aftermarket support will need more than a handful of hotrodders. .

Give it 5 years and the 2015 V6 S550’s will be 15 years old…and people will be itching for something special. People are already sick of LS swaps, and while they are cheap…they have also become very unoriginal.

It is still cheaper to take an S550, swap in an aftermarket Coyote, and turn up the boost. Making big power on either engine requires forced induction, so that cost is the same. MMR offers some nice built Coyotes for under $10k, and none of them take a lot of fabrication work.

The initial build quality of every first year newly designed engine is questionable. Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc all have similar chances of launch issues.

Making big horsepower on a big block does not require forced induction. Once you commit to forced induction, that 7.3L engine is going to decimate the coyote. 7.3L is just too much to overcome.

I will give it a shot here then so if this post makes no sense oh well!

That is where I will disagree, especially with the A10. If the power band is in the low mid range and the transmission is designed to keep it there, in a WOT application the trans would be shifting even more than it does in the 5.0 A10 combo to keep it in that sweet spot.

We both agree the A10 does a great job of keeping an enigne in the sweet spot. That is why the A10 5.0 performs as well as it does. If the sweet spot of the engine is in in the low to mid range of the power band, that trans mission is going to fly through the lower gears and you are going to run out of gears that are designed to accelerate and be in the OD gears which would slow down the car

Totally depends on the gearing. The A10 has already been proven to be more than fast enough to compensate for it’s extra shifting. I don’t see why with the proper gearing this wouldn’t excel. Big blocks have excelled using power glides with 2 gears for petes sake.

Which is exactly what I and I think many others believe the 7.3 will do. For it to be a viable diesel alternative it's going to need to sacrifice HP for better low end torque numbers.

I agree with you…but that sacrifice still puts it above 440hp.

Fatguy has said he does not have the skill to do this. He will be paying someone to do it.

Fatguy has also stated he does not want a junk yard motor, he wants to buy it brand new. That means either hoping and praying the Ford comes out with a crate engine version with the A10 paired to it, or ordering it up from the parts counter which is going to cost big bucks.

Then there is all the custom stuff that would be needed that been discussed to death

I don’t disagree with you there. It’s not going to be economical for Fatguy…unless he’s the first on youtube to succeed.

Let’s be honest for a second though, modifying these cars has never been economical. Sleeving your blocks isn’t economical nor is adding a turbo kit.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Totally depends on the gearing. The A10 has already been proven to be more than fast enough to compensate for it’s extra shifting. I don’t see why with the proper gearing this wouldn’t excel. Big blocks have excelled using power glides with 2 gears for petes sake.

I agree with you…but that sacrifice still puts it above 440hp.

I don’t disagree with you there. It’s not going to be economical for Fatguy…unless he’s the first on youtube to succeed.

Let’s be honest for a second though, modifying these cars has never been economical. Sleeving your blocks isn’t economical nor is adding a turbo kit.
Right it shifts fast enough to overcome it but I believe the A10, 8 9 and 10 are all OD gears. If the A10 needs to keep shifting to keep the 7.3 in the sweet spot of the power band and if it hits an OD gear before the end of the 1/4 its gonna be like smacking a wall and fall on its face.

Fatguy is probably looking at 30-40 grand when all is said and done. Yeah modifying isn't economical but 8K for a properly built s/c or turbo is sure more economical than 30 grand engine swap

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Right it shifts fast enough to overcome it but I believe the A10, 8 9 and 10 are all OD gears. If the A10 needs to keep shifting to keep the 7.3 in the sweet spot of the power band and if it hits an OD gear before the end of the 1/4 its gonna be like smacking a wall and fall on its face.

Fatguy is probably looking at 30-40 grand when all is said and done. Yeah modifying isn't economical but 8K for a properly built s/c or turbo is sure more economical than 30 grand engine swap
Which is why you tie in your rear end gear selection to assure you don't reach overdrive. The amount of power and torque the 7.3L engine will produce could necessitate a rear end gear change.

Paying someone else to do all the work is going to be costly, there is no doubt there. If however he were to video it and stretch it out for a 6 part series, he could easily recoup much of that on you-tube. It seems he already may have the ability to do so...and this is a project a lot of people would likely love to see. Just some food for thought.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Now, have you guys ever looked at the Mustang demographics. Or the ages of the people on this board. I’d say mostly middle-aged. Once the products are out there there will be interest and unlike the millennials, these guys have money to burn.

This swap is just ahead of the curve and that works for me!
Most of this forum is Gen-X or Millennial.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Port injection on a 427 windsor isn’t super cheap either. Believe me, I’ve investigated both. The most economical option is throttle body injection with its built in ecu. Otherwise, you’re looking at either a custom intake or a supervic efi. You’ll need to add injectors, throttle body and a custom ECU with harness.
An extra $3k for a fuel system shouldn't matter much when comparing to the cost of the 7.3L. OP likes old school. He should just slap a carburetor on it. That would be something original.

As for the A10, why not just use the A10 that it’s likely going to already be bolted to out of the junk yard? If that’s not suitable, I’d fully expect either a bellhousing swap or a direct bolt in. Having a unique A10 bolting pattern for just the 7.3L would be lunacy.
You aren't going to want to swap in a heavy truck transmission. The gearing would probably be completely off anyway. Remember, trucks are designed for a max speed of maybe 110-120mph.

Making big horsepower on a big block does not require forced induction. Once you commit to forced induction, that 7.3L engine is going to decimate the coyote. 7.3L is just too much to overcome.
What is big HP? If you think you will easily get over 700whp N/A in this 7.3L, I would say that is a bit detached from reality. Since the Coyote can already safely run 700whp with boost, we are talking near 1000whp when discussing real race engine level performance. At that point, both engines will need internal work.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
An extra $3k for a fuel system shouldn't matter much when comparing to the cost of the 7.3L. OP likes old school. He should just slap a carburetor on it. That would be something original.

You aren't going to want to swap in a heavy truck transmission. The gearing would probably be completely off anyway. Remember, trucks are designed for a max speed of maybe 110-120mph.
It shouldn't be much heavier than the current A10 transmission in the mustang. Again, just because it's in a truck does not mean it's heavy...or not suited for mustang use. With an adequate rear end gear, it would likely do just fine.

What is big HP? If you think you will easily get over 700whp N/A in this 7.3L, I would say that is a bit detached from reality. Since the Coyote can already safely run 700whp with boost, we are talking near 1000whp when discussing real race engine level performance. At that point, both engines will need internal work.
Big N/A horsepower for a 7.3L big block far exceeds what the small 5.0L could put out. There just isn't enough cubes. The 7.3L is said to be able to hand a bore/stroke up to 500 CI. 700 hp N/A isn't out of the realm of possibility with some head and valve work. The 5.0L would require forced induction to reach those levels.

When discussing high FI horsepower, the 7.3L block is likely to be far more capable than the coyote. The block will likely need to be untouched while the coyote would absolutely need sleeves. Even then, I'd venture to say this 7.3L block will likely be able to support more overall power. Don't get me wrong, the coyote is killer..but up past 1200hp and people start talking about going to an aftermarket block altogether.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro

"Detached from reality" should be title of this thread.

Fatguy thinks he is getting the swap for 10k, that's a laugh.

Professor Millhouse thinks that a motor home engine and trans swap will yield a winning combination at the drag strip despite not having a 7.3 engine, knowing nothing about the 7.3 engine specs, and dismissing subject matter expert statements about the 7.3 sucking major ass in a Mustang because well, Reading Comprehension isn't about reading or comprehension at all, it is how you decipher what is not being said or written according to professor Millhouse. Even though decipher literally means (convert (a text written in code, or a coded signal) into normal language. How do you decipher text that is not written, just ask Professor Millhouse and he will make up a definition.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Again, you are failing to understand that it's the area under the curve that matters, not where it's located in the RPM band. 450hp at 7000 rpm is all fine and dandy until you realize your HP curve has an extremely narrow power band.

Say it with me one time...AREA UNDER THE CURVE.
Now look at the 'area under the curve for the 7.3 from 4500 - 7000 rpm vs the Coyote. When I race, I'm launching at 4500. Not 2000. I'm not limited in gear ratios like a 7.3 liter will be making peak power around 4700 - 5000 rpm. I need more torque, I goto a lower gear ratio. Even back in the 60's Big Block were quick but only with 6200-6500 rpm redlines. A stock 350hp chevy 396 would get destroyed by a stock 290 hp BOSS 302. All day, every day.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Now look at the 'area under the curve for the 7.3 from 4500 - 7000 rpm vs the Coyote. When I race, I'm launching at 4500. Not 2000. I'm not limited in gear ratios like a 7.3 liter will be making peak power around 4700 - 5000 rpm. I need more torque, I goto a lower gear ratio. Even back in the 60's Big Block were quick but only with 6200-6500 rpm redlines. A stock 350hp chevy 396 would get destroyed by a stock 290 hp BOSS 302. All day, every day.
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/the-top-muscle-cars-of-the-60s-and-70s-ar110523.html

All of the fastest cars in the 60's were big blocks. The Boss 302 was not made for the 1/4 mile, but for the track. The big block 429 was...you guessed it, faster in the 1/4 mile (by a large margin).
https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-mustang-boss-302-429-351/

As for your area under the curve, your post still prove you don't know what you're talking about. Why would anyone compare an area outside of the powerband on a 7.3L to a coyote is beyond me. This would be like comparing the powerband on both engines from 3000-4000 rpm (the coyote would get destroyed). The area under the curve in the powerband is all that matters here.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
In theory, professor Millhouse is blowing the doors off 700HP SC 5.0 Mustangs with a motor home engine and trans.

bey.gif

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Camaro ZL1 hitting 60 in 5.3s. That big block was fast. Too bad it would look at the ecoboost Mustang's tail lights in a drag race.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
All this talk about swapping a 7.3L engine, I have to ask... Why not any other truck engine then? Maybe I am missing the point. Are we going crazy just because it has 7.3 leeters? How about a turbo diesel truck engine then? Why this engine, someone please tell me.
Sponsored