Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
What part of 'designed for heavy duty trucks' eludes you? The coyote was never designed for heavy duty trucks. Also I'd be shocked if the 7.3 made anything north of 450hp.
What was I thinking. Of course, because it was designed for a HD truck, it can't possibly produce any horsepower or torque when used in a car! So 1 car HP is > 1 truck HP. I got it now.
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
A good friend of mine has a foxbody with an LS in it that came out of a wrecked cargo van. Twin turbo garage build. 900 WHP. The F150 motor has 10.5:1 compression, milder camshafts, different intake, and different calibration. None the less, it will make a shit ton of power with a blower on it, and junk yards are full of them. As far as truck motors are concerned, they spin the tires just like any other motor.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What was I thinking. Of course, because it was designed for a HD truck, it can't possibly produce any horsepower or torque when used in a car! So 1 car HP is > 1 truck HP. I got it now.
Oh Lord.

"Typically, a pushrod engine makes lots of torque at low RPMs, while an overhead-cam engine-like the 5.0-liter Coyote in the Mustang-does its best work from the middle to the top of the rev range. When towing/hauling a big load, a truck's engine needs to be making peak power, and if it's doing so at relatively low RPMs, it won't use a ton of gas

"If you used [the 7.3-liter] in an F-150 or something, it would not return the kind of fuel economy at light load as some of our other engine offerings that we deploy in that vehicle," Beltramo said. "There would be a hit for the displacement. But when you start talking about running day-in day-out, at high weights...the displacement brings a big fuel-economy benefit."

Translation: 450 hp @ 5000 rpm will not be quicker than 450 hp @ 7000 rpm.
~7.3 450 hp based 6.2-liter V-8 with 385 hp, since no specs were announced
~ added weight of the iron block - no one rides for free
~ added weight of all them pulleys & accessories - aftermarket laughs

But let's hear your thoughts on the installation process.

20_FRD_FSD_45741.jpg

Once again, all those people that swap those 5.3L chevy truck
engines into vehicles are idiots! They are truck engines. If only they were as smart as you!
Cause the 5.3 is a cross platform engine that shares many aspects with the GEN 1/2 SBC.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

20_FRD_FSD_45741.jpg

1. Get 7.3 engine

2. Remove old engine

3. Install 7.3 engine

Fini

In other news, Toronto beat the 76ers in their series and move on...

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Oh Lord.

"Typically, a pushrod engine makes lots of torque at low RPMs, while an overhead-cam engine-like the 5.0-liter Coyote in the Mustang-does its best work from the middle to the top of the rev range. When towing/hauling a big load, a truck's engine needs to be making peak power, and if it's doing so at relatively low RPMs, it won't use a ton of gas

"If you used [the 7.3-liter] in an F-150 or something, it would not return the kind of fuel economy at light load as some of our other engine offerings that we deploy in that vehicle," Beltramo said. "There would be a hit for the displacement. But when you start talking about running day-in day-out, at high weights...the displacement brings a big fuel-economy benefit."

What Beltramo is saying is, a lower, broader torque curve is needed to be able to haul around bigger vehicles efficiently. That's it, hes not saying anything else. He's not saying the 7.3L wouldn't be faster in a small car. Something else he's not saying is...is that HD vehicles don't get rated for manufacturers fuel economy average. Putting the 7.3L in an F150 would kill Fords overall fuel economy average, as it's completely overkill.

Translation: 450 hp @ 5000 rpm will not be quicker than 450 hp @ 7000 rpm.
Again, this shows you know nothing about horsepower. For acceleration, It's all about area under the curve and gearing. For some reason, you don't seem to grasp this.

~7.3 450 hp based 6.2-liter V-8 with 385 hp, since no specs were announced
Right, because only Chevy and Dodge are able to make 67HP/L out of an OHV vehicle, yet Ford with a brand spanking new engine is only going to make 61HP/L.

~ added weight of the iron block - no one rides for free
Right, because 100-150 lbs (0.1-0.2 in the 1/4 mile) is impossible to overcome.

~ added weight of all them pulleys & accessories - aftermarket laughs
I forgot, the coyote doesn't need to run any pulleys or accessories. It's a big block truck engine, so therefore it has to be heavy.

Honestly, it's not going to be that bad. It's shorter and narrower, so it should easily fit under the stock hood and between the fenders. Cutting the firewall and patching it back up is not difficult. This engine is also going to shift the CG of the engines weight quite a bit lower. The biggest issue I see is the mammoth oil pan...it's going to need a custom sheet metal pan. Motor mounts are easy. The A10 is going to mate right up to it, so no adapter is going to be needed. Trans mounts are easy.

Cause the 5.3 is a cross platform engine that shares many aspects with the GEN 1/2 SBC.
And yet, it's a truck only engine offering. It's a truck engine through and through, designed for trucks with truck heads and a truck cam, truck pistons, truck intake, truck tune.

Here is a real question for you... Why can't a "truck engine" outperform a "car engine"? Seriously.

You are so set in stone that because the 7.3L is a truck engine that it's not possible for it to be placed in a mustang and outperform a 5.0, yet you have not one single shred of information that supports your claim. You have a few small excerpts from Beltramo that say's the 5.0 is better suited for the mustang (which it is)...that's it. He's never said how much HP or torque the 7.3L will produce (which is what really is going to determine performance). He's mentioned nothing about weight. Yet you claim in every single one of your posts that this "truck engine" can't possibly outperform the 5.0.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
1. Get 7.3 engine

2. Remove old engine

3. Install 7.3 engine

Fini

In other news, Toronto beat the 76ers in their series and move on...
Wrong, you have to first take into account that car hp > truck hp and 450hp at 7000 rpm is > 450hp at 5000 rpm. You're going to need to add at least another 200hp to account for that 100lb Iron block as well and will need to install leaf springs and a solid front axle to keep that pig from bottoming out.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
People tend to forget that the Coyote makes it's power up high just as peak rpm is reached.
8,000rpm really is nothing to brag about.
What they also forget is that the Coyote is about tapped out at 600 maybe a tad more hp while being N/A.
800 with racing fuel.
SBF
BBF
SBC
BBC
3rd Gen Hemi
All the above have been known to decimate the Coyote in the N/A arena.
Expect no different from the 7.3 Godzilla.

For the Coyote to match what those engines put out.
Forced induction must be used and that adds considerable weight.
Weight being one of the reasons the naysayers keep harping about.
Once boost is employed, Pandora's Box is now open.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
People tend to forget that the Coyote makes it's power up high just as peak rpm is reached.
8,000rpm really is nothing to brag about.
What they also forget is that the Coyote is about tapped out at 600 maybe a tad more hp while being N/A.
800 with racing fuel.
SBF
BBF
SBC
BBC
3rd Gen Hemi
All the above have been known to decimate the Coyote in the N/A arena.
Expect no different from the 7.3 Godzilla.

For the Coyote to match what those engines put out.
Forced induction must be used and that adds considerable weight.
Weight being one of the reasons the naysayers keep harping about.
Once boost is employed, Pandora's Box is now open.
Exactly!

Another good read for those interested...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...r-the-new-7-3-v8.118509/page-135#post-2547098

Some notable comments...

"Ford was adamant on making the 7.3-liter as durable as possible. It all starts with a cast iron block, which is then stuffed with a forged steel crankshaft and new cylinder heads. As for the main bearing caps, there are four bolts mounted vertically, plus two cross bolts, making for six bolts per main cap. The 7.3-liter also comes with oil cooling jets that squirt oil onto the underside of the piston for cooler combustion temperatures. Finally, this naturally aspirated powerplant implements the same anti-wear materials as Fordā€™s various turbocharged applications, adding even more longterm strength."

"Finally, the 7.3-liter is surprisingly compact for its relatively large displacement figure. While slightly longer than the 6.2-liter gasser in the current Ford Super Duty, the new 7.3-liter gasser is actually quite a bit narrower, mostly thanks to the cam shaft and block design."

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Wrong, you have to first take into account that car hp > truck hp and 450hp at 7000 rpm is > 450hp at 5000 rpm. You're going to need to add at least another 200hp to account for that 100lb Iron block as well and will need to install leaf springs and a solid front axle to keep that pig from bottoming out.

You could also makeup a sticker that says: ā€œFast Sports Car Engineā€ and stick it on the engine. It will fit better - trust me.

Also: Painting the brakes red will stop you quicker. That spectrum of light has more intense wave forms cooling the brakes quicker. The Bullitt has them so it must be true.

Also, Iā€™m not fat. Fatguy was a nickname a girl friend gave me. So that should make up for the iron block penalty - does that count? Answer: Yes!

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Again, this shows you know nothing about horsepower. For acceleration, It's all about area under the curve and gearing. For some reason, you don't seem to grasp this.
When you run outta curve at 5000 rpm while you opponent is ripping to 7000 in a lighter package means NEWTON was right.

YOU: get a high stall converter
ME: Dump the clutch higher
YOU: more gear then
ME: Great you ran outta RPM sooner
YOU: but but but
ME: I beat him, back off
EVIL ME: Make it buses, make him sell it.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Um....
Hp is Hp, regardless of rpm. Hp is the result of torque and time.
Ergo, 450hp is 450hp regardless of the rpm.
ā€œRate of changeā€ is what makes a car ā€œfeelā€ fast.
This is precisely why a Whipple car (for example) ā€œfeelsā€ slow. You can blame the almost completely flat hp curve for that. Yeah, itā€™s quick, but your passenger might fall asleep waiting for ā€œthe hitā€. Make similar numbers in a turbo car and the passenger will SHIT when the boost hits....
Below are two power curves. One of them will be fast, the other will FEEL distinctly faster.
Iā€™ll let you work out which one excites me the most AND is far more useful (or unusabale ideally) on a street car.
IMO, Street cars donā€™t need to BE fast, they need to FEEL fast.
Grip is what happens when you donā€™t have enough power. View attachment 364086 View attachment 364087
74E1AB77-FEE3-421D-A689-3BE34CF1876F.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I've owned my 2018 GT for a year. I would heartily recommend the combination of the MK3 Coyote and the 10 speed.

Speed and fun when you want it, economy and grace when you don't. Coupled with Magneride and PP1 I have a great sports car for half the price of a Euro car.

And now we know the tick is just a bit of easily silenced cavitation and the occasional rattle the high pressure fuel pump harmlessly resonating we can all sleep soundly, happy in our choice of car.
Except for the scored and scratched cylinder walls and scuffed pistons.
'15 - '17 Coyotes have had the same problem.....just not as often.
Swap to the 7.3 and be piston slap free.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Um....
Hp is Hp, regardless of rpm. Hp is the result of torque and time.
Ergo, 450hp is 450hp regardless of the rpm.
ā€œRate of changeā€ is what makes a car ā€œfeelā€ fast.
This is precisely why a Whipple car (for example) ā€œfeelsā€ slow. You can blame the almost completely flat hp curve for that. Yeah, itā€™s quick, but your passenger might fall asleep waiting for ā€œthe hitā€. Make similar numbers in a turbo car and the passenger will SHIT when the boost hits....
Below are two power curves. One of them will be fast, the other will FEEL distinctly faster.
Iā€™ll let you work out which one excites me the most AND is far more useful (or unusabale ideally) on a street car.
IMO, Street cars donā€™t need to BE fast, they need to FEEL fast.
Grip is what happens when you donā€™t have enough power. View attachment 364086 View attachment 364087
74E1AB77-FEE3-421D-A689-3BE34CF1876F.jpeg

How dare you talk about feelings!

Itā€™s all about equations and theory!

Teslaā€™s are fast and feel fast because they are fast! Flat torque curve.

I only listen to engineers that still have a slide rule with the bamboo inserts. The ultimate: a bunch of bespectacled engineers in lab coats with slide rules (with bamboo inserts), pocket protectors, and with their arms crossed in front of their chests - real authoritarian like! Now I listen!!!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Bottom end tq and hp.......keep it simple.....get rid of piston slap and other headaches......reduce hidden expenses.....more overall power.......not having to redline your motor to get max power and torque.
Again, you lack any facts. The coyote engine doesn't have piston slap. Torque isn't greatest near redline in any engine.
Sponsored