Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

S550GTDan

21 I had a midlife crisis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / Performance Package
Mine's fixed! Here's what the dealer did for me, no questions asked. They had an Engineer come and fix it alongside a technician.

Vetronix NVH Vibration Analyzer was hooked up
Determined issues.
Checked Driveshaft runout
Re-index driveshaft - recheck runout
On-car balance driveshaft

ORIGINAL DRIVESHAFT & PINION FLANGE & REAR DIFFERENTIAL

No unbalanced tire bullshit.
No not believing the customer

Originally brought it in, told them to line up the yellow dots. They did, no change. 5 days later I have engineer working on it.

So I was installing my Corsa catback tonight and I looked at the driveshaft. They installed a hose clamp on the shaft. I believe the clamp is 1oz. They must have placed this in the correct position, as there's no vibrations.
Sponsored

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I thought someone said to contact the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint also. The customer service manager I talked with told me after the Engineer looked at mine if there was still an issue they would look at it further. I think I talked with Tara ext. 77733.
I spoke with a female from extention 77730....Didn't get me anywhere as she took the side of the engineer claiming the noise was normal. Not a very friendly person to deal with either

scram99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible 6A
New Hope?!?

So I spoke with the service manager today to see if the vibration detector thingy had arrived at the dealership, of course it hasnt yet:mad:, but he did tell me the engineer was aware of this issue and thought Ford would be release a TSB about it in the very near future, take this for what its worth, as I have lost about all faith in Ford, and my local dealership at this point...:headbonk:

15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Race Red GT 6 speed
Our 2016 401A A6 with 3:55's is now on week two at the shop. One week looking for the problem at the shop. Then we had the car for about three weeks waiting, for what I was told, was a new rear end to be shipped from Ford. Now they have had it five days and this...

I was originally told they had a rear end being shipped, causing the need for a time gap between when I took it to the shop and when they could start working on it again. Then day three in the shop I am told they needed to use a "Donor" car for part, but it is doing the same thing. So Ford is now telling them this is "A normal characteristic" of the Mustang with an independent rear suspension.

To say I feel a "Not very pleasant" emotion building in me is an understatement.

Why tell me they agree that there is an issue, only to lie to me about part being shipped, to needing to take a car off the sales floor for part, to starting over and telling me Ford thinks it is normal for this car?

Could this all me an innocent misunderstanding? Yes. It might be everything they told me is spot on, with a few missing parts along the way making me the consumer go hmmm.

But I can tell you without a shadow of doubt. This car has a vibration. A consistent one. To the point that I was stuck @ 55pmh for about 30 minutes one day and my feet tingled like a numbing effect from the consistent vibration.

I can also tell you that it got progressively worse. It used to be from 50mph to about 62mph. When I took it in this last time it was 46mph-68mph.

This is NOT normal. It is NOT the normal road vibration or tire balancing situation. This is flat out mechanical! :paddle:

If we could adjust the angle of the rear-end to the rear output shaft on the transmission, I would do it just to see if it was a harmonic one we could minimize or eliminate. But I am under the impression these new independent suspensions do not have the ability to adjust like we could on the solid rear axles.

Now I have a $50k foot massager. :crazy:

At the moment I am pretty unhappy with Ford. And this is my 15th or 16th purchase from Ford. We bought this car to be a long term love. In fact it was our first ever special order car for us. We normally buy what is on the lot. We did not buy the car to engage in a fight or look forward to it being a lemon law donor. We even, for the first time ever, purchased a 100,000 mile 7 year Premium warranty from them...

Your experience almost describes mine word for word!! This has been horrible to say the least. I'm currently in the process of hiring an attorney who said I have a case for Federal Lemon Law.

Mustangster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Update: drive shaft replaced (today), run out checked and balanced. Technician test drove and thought it felt much better now, however wanted my opinion. I checked it out at different speeds on my way home. I think he is right. I barely felt the vibes between 50-70mph. I will be testing further and will give my final verdict in a day or two.

I must reiterate that the dealership has been very efficient and accomodating so far. I never had to leave the car overnight and they always kept their promises. They also mentioned that they were happy to try out a different solution if I was not happy with the fix!!! Yeah... I know !
Update: Tested over the weekend. No more vibrations. :thumbsup:
I hope it stays that way, and I wish you all the same success.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I spoke with a female from extention 77730....Didn't get me anywhere as she took the side of the engineer claiming the noise was normal. Not a very friendly person to deal with either
That would be your Regional Case Rep. Who is responsible for a certain region of the US. They handle MANY cases and it's highly possible they are over burdened with various cases for various Ford product line.

My suggestion to you is this:
Dial back the main number - when it asks for the phone extension for your Rep, try getting an operator on the line. Once you are able to connect to that person, POLITELY explain that you want to connect with your Regional Reps Senior Manager... They should be able to provide you with the extension to that Manager. Once you have it - either connect with that Manager if they answe OR you MUST leave a POLITE voicemail.

When leaving the voice mail, you MUST reference your complete actual Ford Case Number, your complete name and a good number where you can be reached.

The Manager WILL return the call.

Now... I'm gonna tell you all this:

As much as a PIA this whole ordeal is - you HAVE TO REMAIN CIVIL. Screaming, hollering, cussing or acting like a complete fool (REGARDLESS of how pissed off you are about your new car being inoperable due to what we all know IS in fact a manufacturing issue) will NOT get you anywhere further along.

You have to know - these people ARE here to help us - but they are also the middle person between YOU, YOUR DEALER and the Ford Engineering Team. Getting hot and heavy with them (or your Dealer) is not going to get your car fixed any faster and it's certainly NOT going to further the process along.

I know what I'm taking about - I've been where many of you have been (and are) and I can honestly tell you, without BS - that DEYSHA on here, my Ford Regional Rep and the top Service Mgr. at my local Dealer handled everything on a professional, courteous level... And I treated all of them with respect as well.

Was I very vocal on this very site and thread? YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT! Was I pissed that I too had a brand new 2016 vehicle with less than 2k miles and it too sat at my Dealer for weeks on end, then 2 mos time total? Hell yes...

But if any of you take anything away from my posts to help your own situation - I'm telling you, respect and tone of your voice will go a very long way... Sure you have every right to be upset, I sure the hell was - but guess what, I conveyed my frustrations vocally and in documented emails in a professional and respectful manner. For my results, it not only got my vehicle fixed but, in the end it was beneficial to me. Yes the situation sucks, but if you're not happy with your Regional Rep, get their Manager involved and voice your concerns.

For those who do have the definitive issue - as its been said multiple times in this thread and others - CONTACT the "Ford Service" folks on THIS site and let them establish a Case Number to elevate your concerns with your Dealer AND you MUST let the process run its course... I can't be any more clearer than that...

Im also gonna say it again to those who have missed it - I posted the complete Ford work order here that explained exactly what was done to my vehicle... Others have posted theirs too. Print those docs and bring them to your Dealer - show them there's proof of a possible fix, as the Ford Engineering Team was involved - so it's not just "internet gibberish"... And most Techs or Service writers aren't going to read a huge thread like this...fact.

Lemon Law, BBB involvement, this, that or the other - IMO, that's the very last resort...

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
^^^ Excellent advise !

scram99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
Dealer drove mine today with the NVH, says they called the engineer with the results and he says to replace the drive shaft, should be here in a few days. Finally feel like I may actually be getting somewhere, fingers crossed.

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.
The ext 77733 was a cust service manager. So far my car is good other than the crappy P nero zero tires. Anyone going through this... As stated above, you'll have to go through the steps and bite your tongue a little. I know I had to.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Dealer drove mine today with the NVH, says they called the engineer with the results and he says to replace the drive shaft, should be here in a few days. Finally feel like I may actually be getting somewhere, fingers crossed.
Good luck! Please check back in and let us know how it works.

Sponsored

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Well............

I really like my dealership, but that like factor is shrinking.

"I" had to call on Friday to learn... That the three weeks we waited for a new rear-end, it was never true. Because they gave me "Exactly" the same song and dance that they have to order a rear end after trying the "Donor" car for parts and trying the Drive-shaft switch on Friday.

Of course I was polite and said, as a consumer this is giving me great concern. Because this is exactly why we came back to get the car and waited three weeks. Because you needed time for the rearend to ship." The service person said they would expedite the order and let me know on Monday what happens and what to expect from here.

Monday, Tuesday and now Wednesday have come and gone. No contact at all. No missed calls, no emails. Nothing.

NOT happy.........................

Maybe I should have named this car "The red stapler"...

scram99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
New drive shaft design.

Just got a call from the service manager, who just got a call from Ford engineering. They now realize there is a balance issue with the current drive shaft design, and are designing a new drive shaft, expected to start shipping to dealers in 2 to 6 weeks.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Just got a call from the service manager, who just got a call from Ford engineering. They now realize there is a balance issue with the current drive shaft design, and are designing a new drive shaft, expected to start shipping to dealers in 2 to 6 weeks.
:clap2:

See? My procrastination does have its rewards!

Last edited:

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
would be thrilled to know this is exactly what happens. as in, this is the official fix, and an updated part number, with an actual change in design.

can anyone get us some current part numbers and photos of the current driveshaft design, and possibly ones of the revised item when it arrives.

also anyone else that can corroborate this?

scram99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
would be thrilled to know this is exactly what happens. as in, this is the official fix, and an updated part number, with an actual change in design.

can anyone get us some current part numbers and photos of the current driveshaft design, and possibly ones of the revised item when it arrives.

also anyone else that can corroborate this?
That is all the info the service manager had for me today, as soon as I learn more (part#, TSB, etc.) I will post ASAP.
Sponsored