Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Yeah, mine also is coming back. It was smooth at all speeds and is still great above 70 but 60-65 is very noticeable again. Pretty discouraging. I'll drive it like this until there is confirmation that they have a redesigned part.
Yeah, I'm dragging my heals taking it back in, hoping something comes from engineering ..................
Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
That video you're talking about that carrier bearing wasn't the cause bad U joint and slip yoke the cause because it binding up.

Millions of driveshafts have been built using carrier bearings and some having multiple carriers bearing. Blaming carrier bearing easy but you have anything as fact or just more guessing.
You are definitely right about the guessing part. It is useful to maybe figure out what the commonalities are with cars that have similar symptoms. Otherwise not so much.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Guys when you say carrier bearing, you mean the hanger bearing, correct? That goes in the middle of the car were the two pieces of the driveshaft join?

Carrier bearings can also refer to the differential carrier bearings where the axles go in the side of the differential. I have no emotional attachment to calling it either thing, but it can cause confusion.
It's called a "drive shaft carrier bearing" ... all over the place.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=drive+shaft+carrier+bearing

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Guys when you say carrier bearing, you mean the hanger bearing, correct? That goes in the middle of the car were the two pieces of the driveshaft join?

Carrier bearings can also refer to the differential carrier bearings where the axles go in the side of the differential. I have no emotional attachment to calling it either thing, but it can cause confusion.

Carrier bearing and hanger bearing both samething. We (techs) call them carrier bearing for short that all. We call diff carrier bearings when working on aka rear or differential. Sorry I talk in tech talk LOL

Last edited:

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Got a question for the guys having issues, any drive-train modifications or are your cars stock for the most part?

Also I know I brought it up earlier in this thread but have you guys also checked your cradle alignment or centered it properly using an alignment kit?

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
Got a question for the guys having issues, any drive-train modifications or are your cars stock for the most part?

Also I know I brought it up earlier in this thread but have you guys also checked your cradle alignment or centered it properly using an alignment kit?
I don't think the dealer did that, but the question is valid. One guy mentioned that when he put on the Steeda brackets that tie the cradle to the rockers, it reduced his vibration considerably. Might have been in this thread, but I don't remember.
http://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-rear-irs-subframe-brace-2015-coupe-555-5754/

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
If you knew how they're welded together it wouldn't do that. It was dropped or hit at some point either before it got to Ford or line guy.

If you look at driveshaft you can tell [ame]

Last edited:

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
I don't think the dealer did that, but the question is valid. One guy mentioned that when he put on the Steeda brackets that tie the cradle to the rockers, it reduced his vibration considerably. Might have been in this thread, but I don't remember.
http://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-rear-irs-subframe-brace-2015-coupe-555-5754/
Just the sort of thing that might happen as parts loosen a little over time and mileage and the vibe creeps in. The brace kit is something to consider for sure.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Just the sort of thing that might happen as parts loosen a little over time and mileage and the vibe creeps in. The brace kit is something to consider for sure.
I'd advise being careful with this stuff. When I initially complained about mine, the 1st dealer immediately pointed to my Steeda IRS stuff & said 'it's modified'. The dealer that installed it all knew that was BS and said no problem, proved it was a bad DS and replaced it.

If you're having this issue I'd put off any suspension mods until you are satisfied with the fixes from Ford.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I'd advise being careful with this stuff. When I initially complained about mine, the 1st dealer immediately pointed to my Steeda IRS stuff & said 'it's modified'. The dealer that installed it all knew that was BS and said no problem, proved it was a bad DS and replaced it.

If you're having this issue I'd put off any suspension mods until you are satisfied with the fixes from Ford.

i have steeda springs sitting in a box since christmas that I wont install until Ford has a TSB/fix out.

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150

Right, no changes until it's sorted out or Ford releases new parts, TSB, etc. Interesting that some cars never have the problem and some have it and it comes back after balancing. I wonder if Ford knows what the underlying problem really is.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Right, no changes until it's sorted out or Ford releases new parts, TSB, etc. Interesting that some cars never have the problem and some have it and it comes back after balancing. I wonder if Ford knows what the underlying problem really is.
Based on everything I've read & talking to the dealership guys, I don't think there is "a" problem, but rather a number of QC issues that can manifest by themselves or as a group. Hence, sometimes it tire balance, or DS or the output flange or the rear end or different combinations of those things. Using my car as an example, there was an issue with the tires & balance, also 2 DS's were bad. The 3rd DS made if significantly better, but the issue has slowly crept back indicating there is yet another driveline component (or ??) that is not up to spec :doh:

My guess is there are a lot of cars out there with the issue that simply don't get reported because the owner is just oblivious ;) If my car belonged to my wife & only she drove it, she would never mention it - as long as it starts, moves forward in drive, there are no 'error msgs' on the dash & the radio works - she's good !

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Based on everything I've read & talking to the dealership guys, I don't think there is "a" problem, but rather a number of QC issues that can manifest by themselves or as a group. Hence, sometimes it tire balance, or DS or the output flange or the rear end or different combinations of those things. Using my car as an example, there was an issue with the tires & balance, also 2 DS's were bad. The 3rd DS made if significantly better, but the issue has slowly crept back indicating there is yet another driveline compo!
Definitely not a one root cause problem going on, and agree it's caused by bad parts coming off the manufacturing line and what combination of bad parts each car ends up with.

Not ever car has the vibration issue, some are silk smooth ... those cars happened to get all good parts manufactured to within the design specs. The best design in the world can turn to crap if all the parts are not made to design & drawing specs.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I also suspect this is the case, not sure why they went with a 2 piece drive shaft on a car with IRS and fixed diff anyway.

Because of the length of driveshaft a long driveshaft vibrate more if angles are not right. But with live axle angle always changing. With 2 short driveshafts angles can be more not have vibration issue in most cases. Most cars not having issue with parts coming together are in spec. BMR talks about adding 1/2 shim under front (I think) cradle to change pinion angle. But with short driveshaft angle not as critical then changing suspension geometry who knows what that does yet good or bad

Last edited:

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
Definitely not a one root cause problem going on, and agree it's caused by bad parts coming off the manufacturing line and what combination of bad parts each car ends up with.

Not ever car has the vibration issue, some are silk smooth ... those cars happened to get all good parts manufactured to within the design specs. The best design in the world can turn to crap if all the parts are not made to design & drawing specs.
You guys bring up some good points. I think I'll leave my car alone until it's fixed also.

I rented a 2015 GT convertible last year and drove it up to Santa Cruz along the Pacific coast highway and back through the Central valley. That car was an automatic, and smooth as glass. It had about 5000 miles on it.

That's what prompted me to buy my own. I remember thinking "they finally figured out how to prevent the drivetrain vibration issue with the IRS I guess".
Sponsored