Sponsored

Thoughts on Ford fixing Coyote engine tick for 2019?

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
LOL! Are you talking about the alignment tang on the bearing?

f49-23.gif
No.

See the second picture I added w/the circle of the crack. This crack is between the two rod cap bolts.
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
No.

See the second picture I added w/the circle of the crack. This crack is between the two rod cap bolts.
That's the next connecting rod with the cap still on. There is supposed to be a crack there for assembly. That's how the cap comes off.

You are looking at the side of the rod, not the cap. That cylinder axis is parallel to the plane of the image. You can only see one bolt, not two.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
No mechanic says "snapped rod". They are "thrown", "broken", or "bent". All of which result in extensive damage to the block and crankshaft.
Yeah, what do I know. I just work with them day in, day out. Have my whole life. But please, do tell.

giphy.gif

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
That's the next connecting rod with the cap still on. There is supposed to be a crack there for assembly. That's how the cap comes off.
I don't think you're understanding the angle the picture was taken at.

I guess you're smarter than the mechanic who was hands-on with that motor and diagnosed it. And you did a better job over the internet. You, are aweseome. :headbang:

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I don't think you're understanding the angle the picture was taken at.

I guess you're smarter than the mechanic who was hands-on with that motor and diagnosed it. And you did a better job over the internet. You, are aweseome. :headbang:
If he said "snapped rod" I have no doubt.

I think you are 90 degrees off on your analysis of that connecting rod.

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
If he said "snapped rod" I have no doubt.

I think you are 90 degrees off on your analysis of that connecting rod.
My bad....just saw your forum handle. That explains it all.

Every shade tree redneck mechanic down here is the smartest person alive. In their own minds.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
That looks like the line where the big end cap bolts to the rod - you can see the rod bolt. The line however looks excessively wide, but we dont know if the mechanic had already loosened the cap bolts on that rod.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
That looks like the line where the big end cap bolts to the rod - you can see the rod bolt. The line however looks excessively wide, but we dont know if the mechanic had already loosened the cap bolts on that rod.
This is what I was trying to point out.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
As many connecting rods as I've resized in my lifetime... it looks normal. Unless it's a fracture-split rod the cap and rod casting lines don't ever match up.

for reference, a fracture-split connecting rod.

Yamaha-Rod.jpg

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
As many connecting rods as I've resized in my lifetime... it looks normal. Unless it's a fracture-split rod the cap and rod casting lines don't ever match up.

for reference, a fracture-split connecting rod.

Yamaha-Rod.jpg
Well, there you go. The factory-trained mechanic was wrong in his diagnosis, Ford was wrong in accepting the diagnosis, and Ford was wrong in performing a buyback for OP.

Next time anyone has any engine issues or questions, just ask this guy. He can psychically tell you exactly what's wrong without even seeing the engine. Amazing.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Coyote does have fracture split rod caps, that's why I said the crack looks excessive.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still think it's a shadow in the fracture line playing tricks, but if not, somebody put the wrong cap on the rod.
Like I mentioned earlier, the mechanic could have loosened the cap bolts getting it ready to remove the cap like he did on the other rod next to it.

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, I'm having a hard time believing any of that evidence in the pics posted by the OP. I think Ford just decided to punt and sell it to another buyer rather than replace the engine due to a shady dealership mechanic claim mixed with an owner blowing a loud trumpet...the cheaper option...

For all we know, the mechanic claiming "snapped rod" is Ford-speak for "this guy will not shut up about this until you replace the engine or buy it back, you may want to buy it back as the more cost-effective option and let this guy go buy a Prius"
Sponsored