Sponsored

Thoughts on Ford fixing Coyote engine tick for 2019?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I had my oil changed and two days later the tick appeared. I park in the garage so I immediately heard it and knew something was not right. Made an appointment with the dealer and had a video of the sound if it did not appear again. Dealer noticed the sound right away and I was turned away to bring it back the following week to drop it off. They said it was okay to drive since it was my daily. Could have made the car worse but not sure. I just wanted to post what I went through. Car will be fixed and reappear later on in someone else's driveway and may never have issues again.

That's usually how it begins, right after an oil change(typically the first oil change, and usually when done too early <1000 miles).
Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
That's usually how it begins, right after an oil change(typically the first oil change, and usually when done too early <1000 miles).
Bought my car used. 396 miles in it. Oil was changed by dealer. No rock. Thank goodness

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Thanks ... this site is being over run with Coyote “tick” threads everywhere... resulting in too many Chicken Littles getting paranoia and anxiety by reading into those threads...

Sure there have been some LEGIT catastrophic engine failures - and it’s facts that some of those failures were caused by dropped valves. There have also been excessive oil consumption or smoke related issues, but again it’s been confirmed by facts those concerns were related to bad valve seals.

With that said, there’s some members who posted very valuable tech info and findings with pics and possible helpful solution for “ticking” in the TSB/Issues forum - in this thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bbq-tick-another-attempt-to-understand.108944/

Either read it from the beginning or start at page 4 where it gets into the possible solution that seems to have helped owners in some situations.

THAT thread should be made into a sticky, because it contains the best info to date.

————

What some people don’t realize is this:
If

There’s no proof (yet) that Ford has redesigned, fixed or is using superseded parts in any replacement Coyote 5.0 engine.
Thanks ... this site is being over run with Coyote “tick” threads everywhere... resulting in too many Chicken Littles getting paranoia and anxiety by reading into those threads...

Sure there have been some LEGIT catastrophic engine failures - and it’s facts that some of those failures were caused by dropped valves. There have also been excessive oil consumption or smoke related issues, but again it’s been confirmed by facts those concerns were related to bad valve seals.

With that said, there’s some members who posted very valuable tech info and findings with pics and possible helpful solution for “ticking” in the TSB/Issues forum - in this thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bbq-tick-another-attempt-to-understand.108944/

Either read it from the beginning or start at page 4 where it gets into the possible solution that seems to have helped owners in some situations.

THAT thread should be made into a sticky, because it contains the best info to date.

————

What some people don’t realize is this:
If you’re complaining about the “tick” to your Dealership and Ford determines your engine falls within their parameters for a warranty repair and resolve your claim via an engine replacement - the replacement engine is NO DIFFERENT from the original! It’s going to be the same engine with absolutely NO revisions to it externally or internally!

There’s no proof (yet) that Ford has redesigned, fixed or is using superseded parts in any replacement Coyote 5.0 engine.
The Gen 3 Coyote engine used on the 2018 and 2019 GT has undergone many, many changes and improvements over the years. Unfortunately, none of which address the random ticking sound heard in some engines.

Most all Coyotes make a regular ticking or tapping noise to some degree. They are noisy engines with a ton of valve train and fuel injection components all of which produce some noise. What isn’t normal is the irregular BBQ igniter tick some engines produce. Although in most cases this tick appears to be more annoying than harmful.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I love how people keep saying "There's nothing wrong", yet people still keep on experiencing different failures related to engine ticks.

BTW....bad seals DO NOT cause rods to snap. So I guess the "factual proof" just got disproved. :facepalm:
You read between the lines and jumped off the bridge... :)

Probably read my post fast... but if you read what I posted, those are facts to another 2018 Coyote issue I had noted and never once did I state anywhere in my response that a failed valve seal relates to or is the result of the “tick” OR a subsequent engine failure. C’mon now....

When part of a post is taken out of context, we can surely see what happens in the follow up responses... :)

There are folks on this site who are NOT as familiar with engine mechanics or adept to distinguishing normal engine “ticks”, such as fuel system, valve train, upper intake or injector ticks, over what could be a real problem. Therefore some folks are reading into ALL of the “tick” threads and thinking, “OMG, I have THAT problem and my engine is gonna blow - it’s on its way out!”.

Yes, there is no real numbers as to how many of these “ticks” are in fact detrimental or not - and I don’t disagree that IF there is a real genuine problem that it should be addressed accordingly.

There’s guys on here with 2018’s beating the piss out of them - and there’s those who have noted their Coyote also “ticks” and still go about their daily routines.

My post was to say “hey, some members are delving into the issue more in-depth” via the thread I posted and also to say “hey, quell the paranoia”, because there’s NO facts released from Ford as to exactly IF there is a manufacturing issue, parts supplier issue, etc.

Again, if members can get their Dealership to get authorization from Ford for a complete Coyote engine replacement on a 2018+, go for it. Just be aware, that replacement engine is no different than the one that was removed.

I mean, does anyone seriously think that someone at Ford is producing “special tick-less” Coyote engines just for the sake of warranty replacements? LMAO....

IF the issue is related to rod clearances or specific parts failures - a TSB, SSM or GSB bulletin would be released internally from Ford Corporate based on their findings.

Answer this:
Has anyone internal to Ford Corporate or a Ford Dealer franchise seen or can post a TSB, SSM or GSB that states a “tick fix”?

Even more so - is this “tick” so prevalent that it’s impacting the 2018/19 F-Series as well??

In no way am I trying to disregard anyone’s concerns or feud, just trying to get folks to really think about this from a common sense perspective - rather than everyone jumping at “hype”.

Peace....

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So, is this topic supposed to be about a ticking noise from Coyote engines or is it supposed to be about engine failures?

Or does someone think there is a causal relationship there? :crazy:

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
So, is this topic supposed to be about a ticking noise from Coyote engines or is it supposed to be about engine failures?

Or does someone think there is a causal relationship there? :crazy:
Apparently you can't have one without the other. Factual proof is on full display right in this thread!

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I am going to go out on a limb and throw this out there. The 18/19 Coyote has direct injection. Direct injection is noisier, the injectors do make a sound. My 2006 Jetta 2.0 Turbo has direct injection and the injectors are fairly noisy at idle and when cold.

So I am wondering how many of these complaints are actually related to the sound of the direct injection?

Just a thought!

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Just had my 2017 GT returned to Ford from me hearing the alleged "BBQ tick". Dealer subsequently determined to be a snapped rod. No loss of power or anything, just heard a weird tick. Options from Ford were to wait on a short block (on back order), Ford buy it back, or replacement Ford vehicle.
Snapped a rod or rod bearing? I am suprised it ran with a snapped rod, usually when you throw a rod immediate and catastrophic engine failure occurs.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Just had my 2017 GT returned to Ford from me hearing the alleged "BBQ tick". Dealer subsequently determined to be a snapped rod. No loss of power or anything, just heard a weird tick. Options from Ford were to wait on a short block (on back order), Ford buy it back, or replacement Ford vehicle.
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG
my eyes aren't what hey used to be , but where exactly is that rod snapped?

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
my eyes aren't what hey used to be , but where exactly is that rod snapped?
Agreed! I'm not seeing it either...as was mentioned earlier, a "snapped" rod would have destroyed the engine...

Sponsored

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Like I said, if you don't think there's an issue then don't worry about it. But for those of us who own these 2018 models and who have concerns, your posts telling us that it's "All hype" while we are going through Ford buybacks, engine replacements, etc. is not needed or helpful in any way.
I own an 18 and believe its all hype...think its ridiculous to worry about without factual data. Given there where 48k 2018 sold (more than half being 5.0s) if there was an epidemic of failures then I'd suspect there would more than a handful of stories online....consider me not worried.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There's many ticks that come from the Coyote. Valvetrain, direct injection (in gen 3's), and the pulley system.

I think this is what most people are referring to, yes?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG
Where is the snapped rod? I don't see anything but normalcy in those photos.

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
blue thunder I have no Idea where u think your getting your info at but If I choose to sit in my driveway and floorboard my throttle, I can and its warrantied...you DO NOT have to take your car in for any reason,besides neglect until it needs to be towed in. I took back my truck from the shop, that was being bought back by ford even though it was still broke and drove the shit out of it until the check reached my hands, because its MY car until I get paid,...no one has a gun to these manufacturers heads to warranty these cars, it their choice, no one has a gun to my head to buy theses cars... its my choice..i choose to buy solid cars with solid warranties, that allow me to do what I want without fear of it blowing up.

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Pics on page 1, I see a removed rod cap in a mechanic's hand, and a crank with the rod still in place in the engine, not a snapped rod. Unless I'm missing something...?
Sponsored