Sponsored

Thoughts on Ford fixing Coyote engine tick for 2019?

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I guess we should all just park our cars in the garage until a "fix" is provided by Ford. What if there's no fix in the next five years and my warranty really isn't any good anymore? Please, just drive the damn thing and enjoy it!
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Just had my 2017 GT returned to Ford from me hearing the alleged "BBQ tick". Dealer subsequently determined to be a snapped rod. No loss of power or anything, just heard a weird tick. Options from Ford were to wait on a short block (on back order), Ford buy it back, or replacement Ford vehicle.
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG
Snapped rod? The engine would have gernaded if a rod snapped.

If I zoom in on the photos it looks like the crank journal surface is a bit "smeared", and the bearing shows some streaks.

@Semnole - if they still have the motor apart, ask the mechanic to measure the rod side clearance on all sets of rods and also the crankhaft end play, and report the measurements.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Apparently you can't have one without the other. Factual proof is on full display right in this thread!
Stop ignoring a 100% fail rate issue fanboi!

I think the worst part is the terrible statistics in the issues section. I get that some people have had issues and are super angry but taking it out on people via the fourm is not going to help.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
All I can say is thank god. I got the to good to be true 2nd gen coyote. I remember the hysteria of the first gen. And now the 3rd. Gen is suffering a near 100% Failure rate due to the dreaded tick.

Semnole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Where is the snapped rod? I don't see anything but normalcy in those photos.

If I zoom in on the photos it looks like the crank journal surface is a bit "smeared", and the bearing shows some streaks.

@Semnole - if they still have the motor apart, ask the mechanic to measure the rod side clearance on all sets of rods and also the crankhaft end play, and report the measurements.
Those pictures were texted to me right after I dropped it off. They had to get further approval from Ford to diver more into the engine. I am just relaying what they told me towards the end of the RAV process. It could have been something else but just telling you what they told me. A new short block was on option for me if I wanted to wait but did not.

Sponsored

Semnole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

This was taken a few days before I signed it over to Ford. If the mechanic said it was a snapped rod, more power to him.
IMG_6162.JPG

Semnole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my car and the noise I was hearing prior to taking it in.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
blue thunder I have no Idea where u think your getting your info at but If I choose to sit in my driveway and floorboard my throttle, I can and its warrantied...
My insight comes from a lifetime of working for General Motors, as well as now operating my own shop. And you are so wrong on that it isn't even funny. You DO know that the black box in the car will tell the shop what RPM you were at, throttle position, etc. and will absolutely, 100%, allow them to void your warranty based on your own stupidity, yes? Abuse IS NOT covered under warranty. And letting a known noise go that leads to something catastrophic WILL be blamed on abuse by the dealer.

Then you get to play the fun game of "No, it's YOUR fault" with them. It's not fun.

Those pictures were texted to me right after I dropped it off. They had to get further approval from Ford to diver more into the engine. I am just relaying what they told me towards the end of the RAV process. It could have been something else but just telling you what they told me. A new short block was on option for me if I wanted to wait but did not.
I'm sorry for your experience and also sorry that you are taking the abuse you are on your thread. It's ridiculous. Definitely a lot of blind brand loyalist on here who refuse to admit there's any issue at all with these cars.:asshat:

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
blue thunder I have no Idea where u think your getting your info at but If I choose to sit in my driveway and floorboard my throttle, I can and its warrantied.
*sigh*

It's called an Owner's Manual.

Straight from the source:

Page 25, 2018 Ford Mustang Owner's Manual - Subsection Warranty

"You are responsible for presenting your vehicle to a Ford Motor Company dealer as soon as a problem exists. The warranty repairs should be completed in a reasonable amount of time, not to exceed 30 days. As the vehicle owner, you should also be aware that Ford Motor Company may deny you warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance, or unapproved modifications.

They are NOT liable to warranty your stupidity.

Semnole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry for your experience and also sorry that you are taking the abuse you are on your thread. It's ridiculous. Definitely a lot of blind brand loyalist on here who refuse to admit there's any issue at all with these cars.:asshat:
Thanks, I do not consider it abuse. I'm retired Military so I've had my share of "opinions". I'm no mechanic by any means and I was just telling about the situation and info I was presented with. I heard a random ticking sound that appeared after an oil change and did not sound normal. Immediately took it in and two months later I finalized the RAV process. The dealer and Ford could have led me along even longer or even fibbed about the issues. Who cares now, car was replaced and I am loving my 18.

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Thanks, I do not consider it abuse. I'm retired Military so I've had my share of "opinions". I'm no mechanic by any means and I was just telling about the situation and info I was presented with. I heard a random ticking sound that appeared after an oil change and did not sound normal. Immediately took it in and two months later I finalized the RAV process. The dealer and Ford could have led me along even longer or even fibbed about the issues. Who cares now, car was replaced and I am loving my 18.
Glad to hear they took care of you and the replacement has gone well. :thumbsup:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
People are just trying to get more info on his situation. I'd like to know how the car was driven around, and still running good enough to be driven to the dealership with a snapped rod. I could see it still running like the video showed with a spun rod bearing, but not with a snapped rod.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
If you look at the picture OP provided, you can see the crack towards the right side of the center of the screen. See below for clearer description:

G022438841.jpg

Now, look at his picture again. See that flat spot that is cracked? It is the connecting rod cap/rod bearing. When mechanics say "snapped rod", it usually refers to any part of the assembly that is cracked.

Hopefully this helps.
IMG_3012.JPG

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
If you look at the picture OP provided, you can see the crack towards the right side of the center of the screen. See below for clearer description:

G022438841.jpg

Now, look at his picture again. See that flat spot that is cracked? It is the connecting rod cap. When mechanics say "snapped rod", it usually refers to any part of the assembly that is cracked.

Hopefully this helps.
LOL! Are you talking about the alignment tang on the bearing?

f49-23.gif

No mechanic says "snapped rod". They are "thrown", "broken", or "bent". All of which result in extensive damage to the block and crankshaft.

Now, a spun bearing can cause damage to only the connecting rod and the crankshaft, but that bearing is clearly not spun.
Sponsored