OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
93 VW Corrado, 71 Porsche 911
Also some pics I took just random but it’s the cleanest 8yr old car I’ve ever seen

IMG_3187.jpeg

IMG_3188.jpeg

IMG_3182.jpeg
Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Working on it. Selller agreed to take the ad down while I wait for paperwork (nfcu) and I don’t have a local branch near by.
Question for everyone should I take it to a dealer for a pre-purchase inspection. I don’t need someone to just hook it up to a computer. I can do that. I have a pretty slick tablet scanner reader.
was thinking more of a leak down test?
sweet, and good on seller to pull it down, most won’t do that 😉

Nothing wrong with a good pre-purchase to include whatever tests you like!

EoDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 Boss 302, '19 GT350
It seems you’ve done your dilligence. It’s a pleasure to go look at a vehicle maybe expecting to be a little disappointed but ultimately it being the opposite. For you to walk away and say what your saying about it I wouldn’t let myself get inside my own head and talk myself out of it. Im sure you know from looking where these cars are priced and whats available. It’s a whole lot of car for 42k, regardless of mileage. There’s always those that say the used market is this or the used market is that. The reality is with these cars almost none of that applies. The 19’s and 20’s are actually going up, especially the R’s. It is what it is. I’d be willing to bet if you got a quote from Haggerty for insurance they’d value it higher then the 42k. Out of curiosity did you ask about the previous number of owners? Not that it applies here but I’ve had a few vehicles that I‘be sold to a buddy that ended up being sold to other friends. What you looked at has a classic color combo that never goes out of style in my opinion to. Nice car.
Not sure I agree with Non-Rs "still going up". Flat, OK maybe there's a case but just taking BAT auctions alone, not seeing it on the scatterplot. '19s and '20s starting to come down. Still believe we'll see more decrease as much as it pains me to say. Would love to be wrong, though.

https://bringatrailer.com/ford/shel...20&exclude=GT350R;+Snake;+Heritage;+Hennessey

OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
So long as the values end up going back up.

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Also some pics I took just random but it’s the cleanest 8yr old car I’ve ever seen

IMG_3187.jpeg

IMG_3188.jpeg

IMG_3182.jpeg
Just cleaned my 2016 engine (28k miles). Is just as clean and I just replaced the coolant tank. I would pull the trigger if I was you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ZeP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pascal
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Enjoy the red line >8,000 RPM ;) @DFERA

The GT350 is the GT3 but for mustang ... just a dream car

Nate22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have a 2016 with 68k miles original gen 1 motor. And I beat the snot out of it every weekend. Motor problems are over blown with these. The actual problems all happened before 5k miles. I'd trust a 2016 with 100k miles before a 2020 with 2k miles.

OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
Appointment set with one of my local ford dealers for a pre purchase inspection as well as a leak down test. Should be about 3hrs shop time. Worth it for me to have some peace of mind

dnstommy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Not sure I agree with Non-Rs "still going up". Flat, OK maybe there's a case but just taking BAT auctions alone, not seeing it on the scatterplot. '19s and '20s starting to come down. Still believe we'll see more decrease as much as it pains me to say. Would love to be wrong, though.

https://bringatrailer.com/ford/shelby-mustang/?search=GT350&yearFrom=2019&yearTo=2020&exclude=GT350R;+Snake;+Heritage;+Hennessey
I think 350's are hard to price because of how seasonal they are. When the ice melts and the soccer dads wake up from their slumber, the prices jump. Just depends what time of year.

Carvana would give me 48k for my car in January ('19 350 10k miles). As of last week it is 59,500. That's a heck of a jump, but it looks pretty normal over the last few years.

Sponsored

plez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
@DFERA if ur already using the words "worried" and "gamble" don't do it. I personally would hunt down a bone stock clean Bullitt or one of those two really nice PP2's on here. (I know their not numbered). There's a thread I think u should read on here about the 2018 GT350 that lost compression on number 8 cylinder with low miles. He said he drives the car hard but I figured the car was made for it and it failed. U really don't wanna make a $40-$50k financial mistake. Best of luck on ur hunt on whatever u decide man.
That'd be me. Since the cylinder failure I've been reading all the forums and it's quite alarming the number of failures all the same. There were no warnings. No oil consumption, no heat issues, and I wasn't even driving hard when it popped. Had I known I was driving a bomb I'd have sold it a month ago and been sitting pretty.

I really love the car, the sound, the handling and I've been looking at what I would buy to replace it and nothing checks the boxes. It's really a once in a lifetime car. Almost everything is lame and electric and automatic transmission. I don't care if the auto transmissions perform better, it's so much more of an experience having the third pedal. I have yet to get around to calling ford hq and seeing if they'll work with me on contributing to a rebuild but I fear if it's the same block it's going to have the same problem. Been thinking about speed shops and having it flat bedded somewhere and drop in one of the newer voodoo engines or even go crazy, sleeves, reinforced rings? Is that even a thing? Unknown cause of failure, too hot, too lean, I never noticed any knock, oil starvation? Plenty of oil on the plug and in the cylinder now that she's not firing (boroscope pic in my post).

I would vote that a safer bet would be a tried and true motor, the gt350 was the first flat plane crank for ford so I knew I was getting into unknown territory.

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
That'd be me. Since the cylinder failure I've been reading all the forums and it's quite alarming the number of failures all the same. There were no warnings. No oil consumption, no heat issues, and I wasn't even driving hard when it popped. Had I known I was driving a bomb I'd have sold it a month ago and been sitting pretty.

I really love the car, the sound, the handling and I've been looking at what I would buy to replace it and nothing checks the boxes. It's really a once in a lifetime car. Almost everything is lame and electric and automatic transmission. I don't care if the auto transmissions perform better, it's so much more of an experience having the third pedal. I have yet to get around to calling ford hq and seeing if they'll work with me on contributing to a rebuild but I fear if it's the same block it's going to have the same problem. Been thinking about speed shops and having it flat bedded somewhere and drop in one of the newer voodoo engines or even go crazy, sleeves, reinforced rings? Is that even a thing? Unknown cause of failure, too hot, too lean, I never noticed any knock, oil starvation? Plenty of oil on the plug and in the cylinder now that she's not firing (boroscope pic in my post).

I would vote that a safer bet would be a tried and true motor, the gt350 was the first flat plane crank for ford so I knew I was getting into unknown territory.
Dang man sorry to hear that. I'll start by saying I'm not a Shelby owner. So I don't know how I would handle it. Maybe a new Gen shortblock and then sell it? I can see everyone loves the 350's because they are badass! Just seems like you either get a good one or you get one that's gonna have a catastrophic failure no matter what. It seems to be a coin toss really. From what I've observed, the 5.0 coyotes have their share of problems too. If I was looking, I'd personally be looking for a bone stock low mileage Mach 1 with all the packages.

OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
It’s a done deal fellas. I’d really like to thanks everyone for all their feed back. At the end of the there was just no going to anything other than a 350

had the dealer do a pre purchase inspection and I wanted a leak down test but they said there was zero % lost across all cylinders on their compression test so it was be a waste of money.
tech said he’d never seen one that clean

IMG_3245.jpeg

IMG_3244.jpeg

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Good for you! Enjoy as those of us with them have. No guarantees in life but very smart to do the compression test and very reassuring that any ring or cylinder wall problems are not around the corner or dumped on you. Again, always reach operating temp before giving it the beans, check oil level frequently, and should be fine.

ZeP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pascal
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Congrats and now enjoy this "one-in-a-kind" very special car.
Sponsored