Jalopnik Review of the EB

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
The motor itself does weigh 300 less... He failed to take into account the turbo , intercooler and plumbing.

I agree, the interior getting 5/10... Really???? I could understand a 5 on sound or something... But these interiors are better than any sports car under 70k
I see weight differences between the EB and GT of 150lb. I don't see 150lb in the turbo and intercooler + pipes, and if you're talking about taking weight off the front-end of the car, it doesn't seem right to leave off vital components for it to work... I don't consider the 2.3 EB to be complete without the turbo at least.

Maybe it is import maths? You know, like "It makes 120HP/litre!" Yeh, but it is a 1.2L so, makes what, 144HP?...
Sponsored

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Favorite mustang gif of all time.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I came here to post that gif, nice job :)

Chaos_Being

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium, 2006 Scion tC
^ That gif is pretty damn awesome.

This part made me laugh:

The Mustang is a muscle car, and the traditional role of the muscle car has been a tool for its statistically likely male owners to convince strangers that the driver owns a set of gentitalia that are very capable of becoming turgid and providing groin-focused pleasure to a sexual partner.

Freaking LOL

Anyways that was a fun review to read, I'd say the interior is way over a 5/10 as well but everyone has their opinions.

Danger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015, Performance Package, Ingot Silver
http://jalopnik.com/2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-the-jalopnik-review-1695429065 (language warning for those sensitive to such)

Overall, very positive and a good defense against the haters.

Chunky did he really say chunky, he must not have sat in a Camaro, I had one for two years. That car is too wide and chunky, the Mustang is sleek and light in design. The dash size of the Camaro is about six inches longer compared to the new Mustang. The guy doing the review cries about things that makes the car great. Yea I remembered the first time I did a review :lol:

Sponsored

Herr Squid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Ecoboost Premium
The only issue with the EB is that the GT exists. And I don't mean that in a way to say that the EB is lesser; it's just that there is ALWAYS this forced comparison between the two as if the reviewer has to justify the EB as a value purchase.

Jesus, the car can stand on its own merit. Had there never been a GT, had Ford (or any OE) released this as a standalone car with a different badge and without a V8-trimmed model, it would be viewed in a completely different light.

It's just an unnecessary point that's brought up whenever the EB is evaluated.

This whole review is positive, but it's annoying because it's in a justifying kind of way when the car doesn't need justification in the first place.
Have to agree.

The EB is an effin' great car to drive, and yeah, I would really be happier if the GT thang didn't keep coming up in every damn EB topic as if those of us who chose EB's are somehow lesser beings. There ain't a bad car in the '15 lineup!

I figure there's some kind of corollary to Godwin's law that says once the GT is mentioned on an EB thread that it's gone off the rails.

The only thing I can find to knock on the EB is that the stock exhaust system sounds like poo.

moarhorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
^ That gif is pretty damn awesome.

This part made me laugh:

The Mustang is a muscle car, and the traditional role of the muscle car has been a tool for its statistically likely male owners to convince strangers that the driver owns a set of gentitalia that are very capable of becoming turgid and providing groin-focused pleasure to a sexual partner.

Freaking LOL

Anyways that was a fun review to read, I'd say the interior is way over a 5/10 as well but everyone has their opinions.
As much as I've been hating a lot of Jalopnik's "reviews" (because they barely can be counted that), that line did make me laugh.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Let's be clear - they are criticizing the back seat of the Mustang and the blackness of the 'leather and soft stitched interior'. Oh please - there is a lot of contrast, if there was anymore they would pan it like they did with the Cadillac ATS and CTS, saying it was too much mish mash. If this was an E46 or E92 M3, the same interior (actually worse) and lack of space would be ignored for a 9/10. Other things like criticism of the hood of the Mustang seem so singularly odd that I dont know what to say (some crease in the hood thats a styling element bothers him!) - I am yet to see Jalopnik tear apart the M4 for its ridiculous over-styles front end.

I totally disagree with his scoring, but overall many of his comments seem pretty well thought out and he almost seems to feel guilty for enjoying himself in that car. I'll say this - for the price, its hard to beat the value, comfort, looks and performance of the EB. The closest thing I can think is the GTI (but its FWD and a bit boring if you ask me and too conservatively styled), the Hyundai Genesis (nice handling car but really cheap feeling and ugly looking) and the Audi A5 (solid car but no tail out RWD goodness and under steering characteristics, not a sports car).

mustang#16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
As one of the old timers in this forum, I remember clearly the same kind of banter back when the 4-cyl. turbo SVO Mustangs were available from 1984 thru 1986. The 4-cylinder guys felt picked on or ignored and always had this "me too" attitude as if they constantly had something to prove. The Mustang SVO, on its own, would have been a great car - but it lived in the shadow of the Mustang GT.

Then, like today, people who preferred the Mustang GT did not like the sound of the 4-cylinder engine and the power curve (back then, turbo-lag was significant, today it's much improved but power falls off a cliff well before the red-line). Then, like today, the 4-cylinder Mustangs could out-handle the GT Mustang (but today's Mustang GT is much-improved and handles very well).

It's interesting to note that we don't have the same level of banter between fans of the previous generation GT and GT500 (or, today between the upcoming GT350 and GT). Those cars are seen as top-level, premium performance Mustangs with a price to match. Nobody resorts to accusing fans of the GT350 or GT500 of having confidence problems with their masculinity, yet I've seen the EB guys resort to such juvenile behavior with Mustang GT guys when trying to justify their Ecoboost.

As I've written before, I considered buying an EB -- mainly because it is a very good value: $7,000 less than a GT. In my book, that's a significant savings. But, at the end of the day, I admitted to myself that I wasn't buying a Mustang because of practical reasons. I was buying a Mustang out of emotion - I like the sound and feel of a V8, and I was willing to pay for it. I wish some of the EB folks could understand that without feeling like I just dissed their car. We're all Mustang fans, not haters of Mustangs different than ours, let's try and get along and enjoy our cars without feeling picked on just because someone prefers a different engine option.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
As one of the old timers in this forum, I remember clearly the same kind of banter back when the 4-cyl. turbo SVO Mustangs were available from 1984 thru 1986. The 4-cylinder guys felt picked on or ignored and always had this "me too" attitude as if they constantly had something to prove. The Mustang SVO, on its own, would have been a great car - but it lived in the shadow of the Mustang GT.

Then, like today, people who preferred the Mustang GT did not like the sound of the 4-cylinder engine and the power curve (back then, turbo-lag was significant, today it's much improved but falls off a cliff well before the red-line). Then, like today, the 4-cylinder Mustangs could out-handle the GT Mustang (but today's Mustang GT is much-improved and handles very well).

It's interesting to note that we don't have the same level of banter between fans of the previous generation GT or GT500 (or, today between the upcoming GT350 and GT). Those cars are seen as top-level, premium performance Mustangs with a price to match. Nobody resorts to accusing fans of the GT350 or GT500 of having confidence problems with their masculinity, yet I've seen the EB guys resort to such juvenile behavior with Mustang GT guys when trying to justify their Ecoboost.

As I've written before, I considered buying an EB -- mainly because it is a very good value: $7,000 less than a GT. In my book, that's a significant savings. But, at the end of the day, I admitted to myself that I wasn't buying a Mustang because of practical reasons. I was buying a Mustang out of emotion - I like the sound and feel of a V8, and I was willing to pay for it. I wish some of the EB folks could understand that without feeling like I just dissed their car. We're all Mustang fans, not haters of Mustangs different than ours, let's try and get along and enjoy our cars without feeling picked on just because someone prefers a different engine option.
Actually, I can understand those that want to buy whatever they want and for whatever reason they want it. I was around not only for the SVO days but also the original 2.3L Turbo days when there was no V8 in the car at all.

While some EB buyers may feel the need to justify why they went with the EB I actually do not. There is no reason to need to justify a 310 HP/320 lb-ft Mustang. I like V8 Mustangs also but decided on the EB because I understand and respect the engineering behind it. Would I have bought one if it was as expensive as the SVO in 1984? Probably not. With a GT at $34k this SVO would have been about $55k. That would not be worth it to me but at $28k this thing will be fun to punch around.

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
So far I love my eb , at first I regretted not going with the gt but I got over that and look forward to modding the eb....starting with that awful sounding stock exhaust.

OP
OP
JonnyMustang

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
While some EB buyers may feel the need to justify why they went with the EB I actually do not. There is no reason to need to justify a 310 HP/320 lb-ft Mustang.
I got that impression from the review. It's making more power than 80% of the v8s in Mustang history. It's the most "mustang" mustangs in years. :)

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Let's not sit here and pretend only the EB owners instigate that and make insults.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
i love these threads. unfortunately i have to stand on the sidelines because i've been handed an infraction for participating in these in the past. weak.
Sponsored