Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Here are some videos

Yeah - I'd pull the valve covers and take a look at the cams and maybe pop some caps to see what it looks like. Also second changing the oil and running it for say 15-20 miles and checking it again. It could something weird like the previous owner changed lines or added something was contaminated and it sent some flakes into the engine. If it's something that is wearing, the flakes will show up again.

re: the videos, that's the most diesel-y sounding Voodoo I've ever heard (not the injectors, but the idle itself). Can you take some video from down low where we can hear the. bottom end? also some small revs to hear how it gets back down to idle? doesn't need to be anything crazy - just 2-3k.
Sponsored

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Dark Matter Grey '23 GT Mustang , 1976 SS Torana
I wouldnt drive with that engine , thats a massive liability with that much metal in it . Needs to be pulled down and refreshed before its catastrophic . You clearly bought someone elses problem .

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I second this approach. There's something strange about this and the "clean" oil filter indicates that whatever the crud is, it wasn't circulating in the engine before you drained it. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem, but troubleshoot it methodically so you don't cause a new problem when you're looking for whatever this is.
100%

Also, a couple questions:

Did you see the glitter before cutting open the filter? Where was the oil change done, at home, a shop? Any chance the glitter was in the catch pan before you started?

Just trying to pump the brakes on condemning an engine via forum here, perhaps there’s another explanation. Those flakes are big enough to be trapped by the filter and they should be everywhere in there.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Any chance the glitter was in the catch pan before you started?
Great point. I use the same catch pan for all my oil. Diffs leave some glitter.

5doorsoffury

Threads
Reaction score
a forsaken branch of the wavefunction called ny,
First Name
this guy
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
I found a bad cam journal once by useing the long screwdriver method. put one end of a long screwdriver on diffrent parts of the engine and put the handle on your ear like a stethoscope until you hear the rattle/ squeak. it can help you pin point down the sound. you can pull valve covers and look. idk how hard it is to pull the pan and check for a wiggly rod or discoloration but that would be my second step.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/glittery-specs-in-oil-catch-can.191010/#post-3867379

This is a thread I posted to involving catch cans. Would be curious what the innards look like, if one is installed.

^ Edit: Confirmed already, in post #2.

The glitter is copper-colored, yes? Magnetic?

^ Edit: re-looking at the photos, they do appear silver.

This is a YouTube video, explaining oil flow through the Coyote. In the first minute or so, he comments about the oil filter, and how the relief valve to keep oil circulating, in-case it is full.

While we are talking of a Voodoo, any chance the filter was bad from the start (or the wrong PN#?), that it allowed oil to keep circulating, while not filtering? Admittedly, that would not explain such a large amount of glitter?

^ Edit: or the compression test doing so well?

Last edited:
OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
93 VW Corrado, 71 Porsche 911
Did you see the glitter before cutting open the filter? Where was the oil change done, at home, a shop? Any chance the glitter was in the catch pan before you started?
The catch pan was clean before this task. Yes glitter before cutting open filter. First couple pics are of the catch pan after draining the pan.

OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
@Skye the catch can was glitter free. It was maybe a quarter full not much in there at all

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Nah, it was a private party sale.
My guess here is the private party dumped an oil supplement into the engine oil.
A supplement such as “Restore” checks all the boxes of what you’re seeing in the drained oil and not in the filter pleats or catch can.
Going a step further the GT350 5.2 VooDoo is know for oil consumption due to the low tension rings and improper break-in.

The color of the particles is deceiving being they’re suspended in used oil which darkens with age. Best to strain out the particles from the oil then wash and strain the captured particles with alcohol, lacquer thinner, acetone etc. to reveal the true color of the particles. My bet is it’s silver in color and is zinc.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
If it was improper break in would the original motor have last this long (59kmi)?

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
If it was improper break in would the original motor have last this long (59kmi)?
Absolutely it would, I’m referring to ring break-in and proper seating of the rings. You have a 2016 and there’s a long history and many threads on this very subject of VooDoo ring seal and oil consumption.
I’m not convinced it’s bearing issues scanning over this thread.

Last edited:

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Oil analysis is the only way your going to know for sure. I would
get it done asap. It also would give give you documentation for
getting help with the dealer if there is a problem.

OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
This is surprisingly reassuring, thoughts??

well for the top end at least….before I jump the gun.

IMG_3502.jpeg

IMG_3503.jpeg

IMG_3505.jpeg

IMG_3507.jpeg

IMG_3506.jpeg

IMG_3508.jpeg

IMG_3509.jpeg

OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
Oil analysis is the only way your going to know for sure. I would
get it done asap. It also would give give you documentation for
getting help with the dealer if there is a problem.
Ordered 2 kits from black stone so hopefully they’ll be here in a week or so

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
IMO the particles are too large and will not show up on a UOA. Still won’t hurt sending out a sample. I’m also interested in what weight oil was used ?

@DFERA
Head over to BITOG and look over threads and pictures of “Restore” in oil.
You should have an analysis company close to home where you’re located to get that done and over with quickly.
Usually heavy equipment/truck service centers perform oil analysis.
Gregory Poole CAT near Greensboro advertises UOA.
Sponsored

Last edited: