OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
93 VW Corrado, 71 Porsche 911
IMO the particles are too large and will not show up on a UOA. Still won’t hurt sending out a sample. I’m also interested in what weight oil was used ?

@DFERA
Head over to BITOG and look over threads and pictures of “Restore” in oil.
I used AMSOIL 5w50
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I used AMSOIL 5w50
So the first post of drained oil pictures with suspect glitter was Amsoil 5W50 ?
I’m asking what the drained oil weight is, the UOA will give an approximate depending on a few factors.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
So the first post of drained oil pictures with suspect glitter was Amsoil 5W50 ?
No sorry for the confusion. That was previous owner oil.
all I know is when I had the dealer do a pre purchase inspection and leak down test they asked if I wanted the oil changed because it had been a year but only 1000 miles is what they said.
wanting to use the AMSOIL I declined that service.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
No sorry for the confusion. That was previous owner oil.
all I know is when I had the dealer do a pre purchase inspection and leak down test they asked if I wanted the oil changed because it had been a year but only 1000 miles is what they said.
Ok, that makes sense. 👍
Out of curiosity did the previous owner have the oil service performed at a Ford dealer ?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
Yes the car fax back up the dealer tech story but 2000 miles ago

IMG_3513.png

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Passenger side

IMG_3524.jpeg

IMG_3523.jpeg

IMG_3520.jpeg

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3522.jpeg

IMG_3519.jpeg

IMG_3516.jpeg

IMG_3514.jpeg
Well that all looks A OK from online pictures.
Just wondering if the UOA comes back with a good report is there merit in performing an oil flush with some less expensive oil before installing the Amsoil 5W-50 ?
I’m still not convinced the glitter is from a mechanical issue. I’m being optimistic here which is totally out of character for my Jaded ass ! LOL

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Okay, so you have a clean engine under the cam covers and a clean oil filter. It's beginning to look like you have a clean engine.

A couple of points. First, a used oil analysis won't tell you anything useful in this case. UOA measures the condition of the oil, not the condition of the engine. They're great to establish trends so any significant changes can be detected and assessed, but they can't tell you if your engine has a bad bearing.

As far as Voodoo reliability is concerned, the most reliable engine up until MY2019-2020 was the 2016. Ford changed the rings and a host of other parts in MY2017 and that's when the high oil consumption and other failures started. The 2016 engine you have is about as good as they get.

There's also a post on oil filter bypass systems. They're there to keep the filter from failing when the oil is cold. They open once in a while, but for the bulk of the time, they're closed and the oil goes through the filter. If the filter's clean, the oil's clean.

As for the sound the engine makes, @honeybadger's advice is good. I've listened to your videos a couple of times and there's a low frequency thumping sound, like a bass drum, and I don't know what that is. It could be exhaust or something else benign. It doesn't sound like a rod knock - there's no sharp knocking sound.

So, that's what I see as the state of play. Pick up some of those lovely GT500 valve covers, slap them on and run the thing for a bit to see what happens in the oil. If you put a few hours on it and the oil comes out clean, or at least cleaner than what you took out before, then you've got a good engine.

Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Keep in mind 3rd party warranties have tried to deny claims based on customers doing their own oil changes. When you do your own oil changes you need to keep receipts of the oil and filters you bought and preferably keep photos and notes of exactly what mileage you changed it at. Even then they might still try to deny warranty. They might try to deny warranty based on you using a different weight oil than what the car calls for too.

If this was my car, I would drive it to the dealership and have them do the oil change. I would then beat the piss out of the car and keep taking it to the dealership whenever it needs an oil change. When it eventually fails or starts sounding really bad you let the dealership handle the repair and your 3rd party warranty.

You can take off the valve covers and oil pan and determine the failure for yourself, but make sure that you put it back right so it's not obvious someone was messing around with it.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Passenger side

IMG_3514.jpeg
You could go pickup some new bolts and pull off one of the 2nd cam caps (not the big connected one but one of the individual ones right after).

Check it for scoring. If it has scoring then the metal got up into your cylinder head and damaged your cam caps. Keep in mind with that much metal your timing chain tensioners can fail.

OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
Fully aware warranty companies as insurance companies are not in the business of paying claims.
so next steps are to try and get the oil pan off tomorrow just to know for myself.
If anyone knows a way to post a longer video where I could get the sound from under the car above let me know. Better than these 5-7 sec clips