Dark Horse at Dealership

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 Mustang GT Premium
After seeing a few 650s in the wild, I don’t dislike the design as much. One thing does stick out to me though and it’s the wheel gap and overhang of the fender over the stock wheels. Man, those 18x8”s look so undersized for that wheel well it’s almost comical from certain angles. Seriously, look the wheel gap from perpendicular to the car and its not bad but move to a 45* angle and look at the wheel gap and it’s nuts.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think Ford decided to raise prices as much as the market will bear. I don't think they looked at costs/profit margin to make that decision.

For the most part I like it ok and I think it's a well tarted-up Mustang GT. I would consider one for around $40K, but $70K? I would feel like an idiot for spending that much.
yeah the price just does not make sense to me. All of life is Cost vs Value..

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
After seeing a few 650s in the wild, I don’t dislike the design as much. One thing does stick out to me though and it’s the wheel gap and overhang of the fender over the stock wheels. Man, those 18x8”s look so undersized for that wheel well it’s almost comical from certain angles. Seriously, look the wheel gap from perpendicular to the car and its not bad but move to a 45* angle and look at the wheel gap and it’s nuts.
s550s with 235 tires don't look exactly.. muscular either.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
yeah the price just does not make sense to me. All of life is Cost vs Value..
Different mindset, goes like this;
Can I manage the monthly payment.
If Yes, it’s go forward as totally price isn’t a consideration in the new world for the majority.
10-12 year vehicle payment are the new normal.

Who here remembers a time when a 5 year vehicle loan was the max a lender would allow ? Typically the OG’s here probably lost sleep over a 3 year vehicle payment plan back in the day.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If Yes, it’s go forward as totally price isn’t a consideration in the new world for the majority.

Who here remembers a time when a 5 year vehicle loan was the max a bank or lender would allow ? Typically the OG’s here probably lost sleep over a 3 year vehicle payment plan back in the day.
I typically do 5 years but have also done 6, if the terms are attractive. I have always paid them off early though. I don’t mind stretching it out 5-6 years knowing I’ll pay it off well before that but also have the lower payment to fall back on should some significant life event happen (I budget for several scenarios but can’t budget for them all, then I’d have no fun money 🤣).

Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Seems like Ford runs promos on loans for Mustangs pretty regularly right? I got 2.9% @5 yrs for my Mustang, and I know you can do better than that. Not in a hurry to pay it off especially with the cuckoo inflation we've been running the past few years.

Shelbeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RAJ
Vehicle(s)
GT500, MME-GT, BMW X-1
I was at my Ford dealership getting the Shelby GT350 serviced and spotted a Dark Horse in the show room. There were some things I really liked about it, others not so much. The front end should have been used during the 2018 s550 refresh. It is the best feature of the new body design. From the back I get the narrow tail lights being a nod to the old school fast backs, but I don't think it works on the modern design.
The interior feels more upscale, but the lack of tactile knobs, buttons, and switches for often used controls really bothered me. Everything is stuck in those ipad screen displays.
The seats were pretty comfortable.
Not sure if I like the dark horse logo/badging.. just kind of meh.. maybe it's the size and placement.
Overall for the price I would not desire to own one of these. For 15k less I'll keep my Shelby.

20240521_153256183_iOS.jpg

20240521_153306348_iOS.jpg

20240521_153316639_iOS.jpg

20240521_153324946_iOS.jpg

20240521_153340926_iOS.jpg
Disagree on the front. Only black works to hide the plastic robin mask. I only like the key fob revs.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
yikes that interior and front end sucks. I think my 18 looks much better than this both interior and exterior wise

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Who here remembers a time when a 5 year vehicle loan was the max a lender would allow ? Typically the OG’s here probably lost sleep over a 3 year vehicle payment plan back in the day.
I paid my last car loan in 7 months and it was longer than I preferred with current interest rates. If you aren't paying cash the current situation is terrible for buying a car.

BreadBurner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Similar car rental story here- went to Atlanta last month and grabbed a 4 banger Mustang from Hertz. It was late at night and I had an hour drive to familiarize myself with the whole affair. A few observations-
  • The iPad style dash didn't perturb me as much as I thought it would. It was naturally divided between dash gauges (Speed/RPM) and HVAC/Radio section. I do concur on the PITA factor of trying to set temp/etc but got the hang of it on day 2.
  • I thought the car 'waking up' as you approached it was pretty slick.
  • The taillights never sat well with me. It makes the ass end look like the designers left 400 lbs of sack concrete on the rear deck lid...
And $71k for a DH? Not out of this guy's pockets. But when I was talking to my 21 yr old son about the iPad dash, his comment was that resolution and graphics styling change so fast that the most critical elements of driver/car interface will date out faster than the tires thanks to Moores Law (essentially doubling computing power every 2 years). Hadn't thought about that but the video screens may become the achilles heel of tomorrow's resale values.

I'll do just fine with my sweep gauges (and a VD FPC) for $20k less. YMMV.
VD?

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I was at my Ford dealership getting the Shelby GT350 serviced and spotted a Dark Horse in the show room. There were some things I really liked about it, others not so much. The front end should have been used during the 2018 s550 refresh. It is the best feature of the new body design. From the back I get the narrow tail lights being a nod to the old school fast backs, but I don't think it works on the modern design.
The interior feels more upscale, but the lack of tactile knobs, buttons, and switches for often used controls really bothered me. Everything is stuck in those ipad screen displays.
The seats were pretty comfortable.
Not sure if I like the dark horse logo/badging.. just kind of meh.. maybe it's the size and placement.
Overall for the price I would not desire to own one of these. For 15k less I'll keep my Shelby.

20240521_153256183_iOS.jpg

20240521_153306348_iOS.jpg

20240521_153316639_iOS.jpg

20240521_153324946_iOS.jpg

20240521_153340926_iOS.jpg
I like the front including the hood. $70K sticker makes my $86K LT2 C8 look like a good buy.
Just to preempt you guys I also got the old man vette starter kit. lol

vette16.jpg

apperal.png

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If you aren't paying cash the current situation is terrible for buying a car.
but I live pay check to pay check. I'm supposed to SAVE 30-40 freaking grand, first? That'll take me like 5-10 years, man! I canna wait that long to show my pimp daddy-o ride to my IG peeps

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I paid my last car loan in 7 months and it was longer than I preferred with current interest rates. If you aren't paying cash the current situation is terrible for buying a car.
Yeah the rates are pretty bad. But if you shop around enough with a credit union you may still get decent interest rates with good credit and can always pay off early. If the rate is below 4% I rather invest the money than waste it on a depreciating asset. But if its high interest rate then yeah better to pay cash.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
DH is a fine looking car to me, especially in race spec

Sponsored