Sponsored

Best Nano Sealant

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The shop I use turns out award winning hotrods! Paint and finish is second to none! It seems he is not a fan of these coatings....they peel, yellow, and maintenance is usually to re-do every 2yrs or so!

My Stang will be wet sanded 3000, then 5000 then Mcguires products for the final shine. I'm sure I'll be more than happy. Should hit the shop next week!

So......how. Often do the experts say. These "coatings" have to be re-done??...or how much of a warranty period or guarantee do you get
I had CQuartz Finest applied in April and there's not the slightest trace of it anymore.
Used reload yesterday and yes the shine is back, but that's just temporary. I can't believe that reload is needed to reactivate the CQuartz Finest as it's merely some sort of wax & sealant.
I guess I had bad luck with the CQuartz!
Its the newest "fad" on the block. No one has yet convinced me that 2 microns (a human hair is about 50-75 microns FYI; bacteria are even up to 3 microns) of material does anything substantial to be $1000-1500+ lighter pocket.

Yes, I get a lot of that budget is prep/polish, but you would be better off learning an actual life skill (I watched a few hours of youtube buffing tutorials and it's pretty safe on the clear for a mild DA unit), and buying a Porter Cable buffer kit for $300 with a few pads, and just lightly buffing the car once 1 year. You would come out $1000 ahead and be able to replicate the flawless look whenever needed for essentially free, not go back to a detailer.

My Black 2015 looks nearly flawless still just under 2 years of ownership; it's time for a buff as its been probably over a year now. But no fancy expensive coatings. Just basic sealant and wax and upkeep; wash it once a week and an extra hour a month putting on sealant/wax. Not a HUGE time commitment. Polish once a year if that often and that's a whopping few hours per year on a weekend.

I bet $100 the average person you put one of these nano coatings in an unlabeled bottle and some clear liquid wax and apply both, the average person wouldn't know which is which and they both bead water. I laugh at the Youtube videos showing beading properties of these coatings like it's some miracle. And neither provides and significant scratch protections whatsoever (if you think 2 microns, 4% or less the thickness of a human hair, does then you need a serious math/physics lesson).

People just have a "set it and forget it" mentality and think coating is some miracle product based on the hype of the market/detailers. And detailers push it hard because look at some of the prices they get for it; $1000-1500 a car. Considering materials are about $100 (coatings are just under/around $100 per car, Google any of the brands and also consider bulk/manufacturer direct pricing, and $5 worth of polish and compound tops) that's a PRETTY hefty profit. Id be pushing it hard too trying to do 1 car per day for that amount of profit.

Few who spent the $ to get it done will EVER admit they were wrong though to defend their purchase, and have bought into the hype of the market/detailer told them without ANY evidence other than water beading (like any decent sealant/wax does too) and gimmicky Youtube marketing videos (because those are ALL honest). They are free to have their opinion though, my wallet is much heavier not buying into it and my car looks equally as good.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
C'mon guys....is Notes the only one with a story here?? This is a lot of coin for a product that may or may not even last?? Yellow or peel ?? Anymore comments? Anyone had the application for over a year, maybe two yrs ?? Like to hear from you.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
I had CQuartz Finest applied in April and there's not the slightest trace of it anymore.
Used reload yesterday and yes the shine is back, but that's just temporary. I can't believe that reload is needed to reactivate the CQuartz Finest as it's merely some sort of wax & sealant.
I guess I had bad luck with the CQuartz!
Was your installer an authorized installer installer? If so you do have a warranty. I doubt that there's no sign of it left. Did you maintain it properly? I've used reload and hydro and mine is still going strong. Take yours back to the shop that did the install. Have you applied anything over the CQuartz other than reload or hydro? Your installer should have gone over how to maintain it with you?

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
C'mon guys....is Notes the only one with a story here?? This is a lot of coin for a product that may or may not even last?? Yellow or peel ?? Anymore comments? Anyone had the application for over a year, maybe two yrs ?? Like to hear from you.
To answer your question Cquartz's warranty is only 2 years per their website:

"CarPro Finest Installers make up a global network of professionals who proudly offer a warranty on our flagship coating. This warranty states that Finest will not bubble, yellow, peel, oxidize, or lose more than 20% gloss over 2 years."

The warranties are on the manufacturer websites. Basically they are not in the business of paying out claims, so they really limit the "damage" to installer error. I have not heard they yellow or peel but that would likely be under product failure for the warranty.

Here's the paint protection portions of Opticoat's. Let's be real here they can invalidate you for a LOT of reasons; not limited to weather, rocks, etc. You are correct though, it's a LOT of coin for something that may or may not do anything. The other issue is, your car looks clack like mine, and the coating WILL get hairline scratches eventually, it's not a forcefield. So when you need to buff it, bye bye coating and all that $. My personal opinion is not worth it; unless you home DA polish and can buy the coating bottle for $70. Then it really can't hurt all that much to lose $70. I may do that just to try one of these coating deals out after polishing my car this year, as at worst I only lost a few bucks honestly.

1.3 – GENERAL WARRANTY INVALIDATION

Optimum Polymer Technologies warranty for any product will be considered invalid if any of the following general condition occur:

1. Neglect to maintain the vehicle according to the standards and techniques recommended by Optimum Polymer Technologies, available here: http://opticoat.com/page/car-care-guide

2. Damage caused by abrasive compounds and polishes and third-party products;

3. Damage resulting from a collision or other vehicle accidents;

4. Damage, either accidental or malicious, including but not limited to fire, flood, extreme weather conditions, secondary effects that may result from the foregoing, or any other force majeure;

5. Failure to repair and re-treat surfaces subject to accident damage in accordance with the warranty;

6. Damage caused by any alteration or modification to the vehicle surfaces;

7. Damage caused by manufacturer’s defects;

8. Damage to the vehicle prior to product application; and

9. Failure to adhere to any requirements listed under the terms and conditions of this warranty.

2.3 - OPTI-COAT OR PAINT GUARD NEW AND USED VEHICLE WARRANTYTERMS

Optimum Polymer Technologies warrant to the owner of the nominated vehicle that if the Optimum Clear Coating (Paint Guard/Opti-Coat Pro/Opti-Coat Pro Plus) is unsatisfactory in its performance of protecting the vehicles factory paintwork from damage or etching from water spots, bird droppings, bug splatter, acid rain, industrial fall out; or UV damage / oxidation, whilst being maintained in accordance with the terms and conditions of this warranty, Optimum Polymer Technologies or its agents will at no cost to the owner repair and retreat the affected area.

2.4 – OPTI-COAT OR PAINT GUARD LIABILITY LIMITATIONS

Optimum Polymer Technologies, Inc. or its agents shall not accept liability for the following:

1. Deterioration of factory paint work or repaint or any other treated part of substandard specification, materials or workmanship by vehicle manufacturers, their dealerships, third-party suppliers or modifiers, or professional detailers not authorized by Optimum Polymer Technologies;

2. Pre-existing damage or deterioration;

3. Any claim for matters which are covered by vehicle manufacturers’ warranty;

4. Damage caused by manual or automatic wash brushes, contaminated and/or abrasive cloths and sponges, untreated areas due to accident damage and/or their subsequent repairs, and/or damage caused by impact with a foreign object (i.e., stone chips); and

5. Warranty is valid for factory clear-coated systems only and excludes any non-clear-coated or matte finishes.

Last edited:

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
So basically, we're looking at a product that costs $750 year ( if you can find a shop to do it for $1500) a tad steep for most of the guys here I'm sure!

That's probably half of the insurance for the car!!!! Oh well, a little time, a few beer, some wax, listen to some tunes....maybe 10 bucks!!

Further.....if you cough up the initial $$$ for a wet sand and polish.....the future maintenance would be much cheaper and you could save the mone to buy more parts!!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
So basically, we're looking at a product that costs $750 year ( if you can find a shop to do it for $1500) a tad steep for most of the guys here I'm sure!

That's probably half of the insurance for the car!!!! Oh well, a little time, a few beer, some wax, listen to some tunes....maybe 10 bucks!!

Further.....if you cough up the initial $$$ for a wet sand and polish.....the future maintenance would be much cheaper and you could save the mone to buy more parts!!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:
There's no shop that puts on just the coating. If they do, run. Most of the cost is in the prep work, claying and polishing out imperfections in the paint, making sure the paint is in top shape before the coating is applied.

Since my car is a weekend cruiser/garage queen, I don't expect to do anymore than minimal washes throughout the year, and CarPro reload application once a year. The most important thing is your washing technique/methods.

No coating in the world is resistant to terrible washing habits. Don't get this coating if you can't be bothered to wash the car properly. It's not a miracle product.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
]Don't get this coating if you can't be bothered to wash the car properly. It's not a miracle product.
Unfortunately this happens far far too often with the general public. They think oh coating I can run it through the auto car wash. And forget 2 bucket wash no one knows what that is; lucky if they dont use a regular sponge and dish soap on it if it gets washed once a month.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
There's no shop that puts on just the coating. If they do, run. Most of the cost is in the prep work, claying and polishing out imperfections in the paint, making sure the paint is in top shape before the coating is applied.

Since my car is a weekend cruiser/garage queen, I don't expect to do anymore than minimal washes throughout the year, and CarPro reload application once a year. The most important thing is your washing technique/methods.

No coating in the world is resistant to terrible washing habits. Don't get this coating if you can't be bothered to wash the car properly. It's not a miracle product.

OK ......so we're still looking at $750 a year......right???? Considering you take proper care and wash your car in a respectable manner?? Still insane "forever" costs !! That's all I'm asking !! A coating, properly applied and faithfully maintained.....costs $750 a year!! YES.....or NO ???? Simple question.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
OK ......so we're still looking at $750 a year......right???? Considering you take proper care and wash your car in a respectable manner?? Still insane "forever" costs !! That's all I'm asking !! A coating, properly applied and faithfully maintained.....costs $750 a year!! YES.....or NO ???? Simple question.
Where are you getting $750/yr from?

With proper care, in theory, the coating should last beyond it's rated 2 years. The CarPro reload bottle is like $10. Before that's applied, you have to apply Iron-X to rid of any contaminants. That's about it.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Where are you getting $750/yr from?

With proper care, in theory, the coating should last beyond it's rated 2 years. The CarPro reload bottle is like $10. Before that's applied, you have to apply Iron-X to rid of any contaminants. That's about it.
Actually,, Reload is $40 and you don't need to IronX before using it.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Actually,, Reload is $40 and you don't need to IronX before using it.
I personally would, since you have to use Something to remove any contaminants that may be clinging onto the coating before you lay Reload over it, and you can't clay these coatings(At least not CQF).

The $10 bottle is what I would personally use, since my car will be a weekend cruiser, and I don't see myself applying it more than once a year, and I rather not have sealant products sitting longer than they have to. Plus you don't know if they will have a new formulation next year.

At the most, they say reload would last 4-6 months per application, so how much product do you really need.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
I personally would, since you have to use Something to remove any contaminants that may be clinging onto the coating before you lay Reload over it, and you can't clay these coatings(At least not CQF).

The $10 bottle is what I would personally use, since my car will be a weekend cruiser, and I don't see myself applying it more than once a year, and I rather not have sealant products sitting longer than they have to. Plus you don't know if they will have a new formulation next year.

At the most, they say reload would last 4-6 months per application, so how much product do you really need.
I don't find any $10 bottles of Reload anywhere. My installer has been maintaining mine and hasn't had to use IronX on mine since it was installed. I'm sure if it needed it he'd use it

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I don't find any $10 bottles of Reload anywhere. My installer has been maintaining mine and hasn't had to use IronX on mine since it was installed. I'm sure if it needed it he'd use it
It's here: http://www.carpro-us.com/coatings-sealants-spray-wax/carpro-reload-100ml-new-formula/

The main point though, was the diffuse the guys idea that it's a $750/yr cost for this coating(I'm guessing he thinks it's reapplied every year :shrug:)

By the way, how much does your installer charge for doing a coating of Reload? And how is everything holding up?

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
It's here: http://www.carpro-us.com/coatings-sealants-spray-wax/carpro-reload-100ml-new-formula/

The main point though, was the diffuse the guys idea that it's a $750/yr cost for this coating(I'm guessing he thinks it's reapplied every year :shrug:)

By the way, how much does your installer charge for doing a coating of Reload? And how is everything holding up?
Yeah, $750 a year is silly and that's more then what I paid to have CQuartz and all of the prep.

My installer doesn't charge me anything extra, he washes my car every week, two bucket method and I'm a good tipper ;) He's used Hydro on it once and didn't charge me extra either.

Thanks for the link!

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Yeah, $750 a year is silly and that's more then what I paid to have CQuartz and all of the prep.

My installer doesn't charge me anything extra, he washes my car every week, two bucket method and I'm a good tipper ;) He's used Hydro on it once and didn't charge me extra either.

Thanks for the link!
Oh wow, that's awesome! lol :cheers:
Sponsored