What tire is everyone using to daily supercharged mustang

jakefed4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium
What tire is everyone using to daily there supercharged mustang. I’m getting the ess g2 and I’ll be at 650-700 wheel horse power. Want to get peoples opinion on some tires I could daily but still good enough traction. I have radials and I know I won’t hook without them but I want something I can daily but still have good traction. I’ve been thinking of nitto g2 315/35/19 but people have been telling me those suck.
Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Nitto G2's do suck for traction when you're making that much power.

If you don't mind rolling into the throttle, and not having traction below 50/60mph you can get by with a Continental or Michelin max performance tire (other brands may work as well but don't buy something like a Sumitomo or cheaper UHP tire)

But to get the most out of your setup, grab a Mickey Thompson ET SS or Nitto 555RII

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
Just went through this. I have Mickey Thompson Drag Radials 305-35-20 and with 800hp it hooks very well. I can do kickdowns from 45MPH and have no traction issues. BUT....they are not ideal for normal driving. They are choppy, sticky (throw stuff up) and I can't get caught in the rain with them.

So I put a Nitto 555G2 on them and it drives so well. No chop, no crap getting thrown around and I went through my first thunderstorm with them, no issues. BUT....with the 800hp I cannot put the power down. I have to roll into the throttle. I haven't done any kickdowns but I will tomorrow.

There isn't a perfect solution that's I've found. Pilot Sport +2's, Toyo RRR and the like will have the same issues. I'm putting the Mickey's on another set of rims. It's why people have drag pack setups and street setups.

OP
OP
jakefed4

jakefed4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium
The Nitto G2's do suck for traction when you're making that much power.

If you don't mind rolling into the throttle, and not having traction below 50/60mph you can get by with a Continental or Michelin max performance tire (other brands may work as well but don't buy something like a Sumitomo or cheaper UHP tire)

But to get the most out of your setup, grab a Mickey Thompson ET SS or Nitto 555RII
Sounds good. I’m very new to the boosted mustang world. I plan on getting the E/T ss 305/45/17. From my understanding centrifugal supercharges drive like n/a if you drive and shift at normal rpm’s. If I ran summer tires like my Mickey Thompson street comps 285/35/19 and drove super normal jsut to daily would I be ok? Sorry for stupid questions.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds good. I’m very new to the boosted mustang world. I plan on getting the E/T ss 305/45/17. From my understanding centrifugal supercharges drive like n/a if you drive and shift at normal rpm’s. If I ran summer tires like my Mickey Thompson street comps 285/35/19 and drove super normal jsut to daily would I be ok? Sorry for stupid questions.
All superchargers drive normal until you floor it. Centrifugal or PD, neither of them will make boost until you get into the throttle heavy.

A lot of people will just buy another set of wheels and bolt those on when they are going to mess around, and drive on your other wheels/tires the rest of the time. Then you come across a car that wants to race and you don't do anything except spin so you say fuck it and run the DR's every day lol

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Ive tried drag radials and they arent any better on the street than street tires in my experience. Actually in my experience they ball up rubber and are worse.

These are ET street R's after some street use.

Youll only get a few thousand miles out of them, less if you do burnouts to try to clean them off or get them hot. And they are hella expensive. I stopped using these for alot of reasons.

Ive tried like 15 brands and models of tires over the years (including ps4s and tons of high end expensive tires like potenza s007 etc). Firehawk indy 500s were pretty good, dws06+ are great for all seasons, but my favorite so far is general Gmax RS for summer tires. Obviously nothing will hook from a dig on the street once you are over like 700 rwhp but these do hook reliably for 60-130s. They hook better than ET street Rs for 60-130s in my experience. Ive spun et street r's to 100+ mph.

You can see et street r's breaking loose here at 60+ and marks on the bridge from prior attempts.

General GMAX RS are also cheap and last a decent amount of time and have good rim protection and size options, so, I'm going to stick with these forever now I think.

Last edited:

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Yes G2s suck, they are just a horrible all around tire. Most all season tires will probably do better in every category.

I don't know why everyone wants to go with G2s. How is Nitto getting every mustang owner to buy these...

Like the 3rd or 4th thread I have seen on here about people wanting to get G2s in the last week.

JVO21303

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT stage 2 stage one supercharger
Yes G2s suck, they are just a horrible all around tire. Most all season tires will probably do better in every category.

I don't know why everyone wants to go with G2s. How is Nitto getting every mustang owner to buy these...

Like the 3rd or 4th thread I have seen on here about people wanting to get G2s in the last week.
The g2 are not bad for the price I live in a hot area so that helps and I keep the traction control on lol 😂. I had the Michelin pilot before but they were soft tires and went through those in less than six months. There really is no perfect answer to this question. It just depends on how much you drive and what you’re looking for

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
The g2 are not bad for the price I live in a hot area so that helps and I keep the traction control on lol 😂. I had the Michelin pilot before but they were soft tires and went through those in less than six months. There really is no perfect answer to this question. It just depends on how much you drive and what you’re looking for
I live in pheonix az. Can’t get much hotter. I bought my car used and it came with G2s. Car was stock. Tires would spin. Tires would easily get out braked by my base gt calipers and cause abs to go off on moderate braking. They also were worse than drag radials in the rain, I was genuinly scared making turns at slow speeds.

People give them mixed reviews. But there is enough people describing exactly what I said that I know mine weren’t an outlier. They do last long though.

Sponsored

JVO21303

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
I live in pheonix az. Can’t get much hotter. I bought my car used and it came with G2s. Car was stock. Tires would spin. Tires would easily get out braked by my base gt calipers and cause abs to go off on moderate braking. They also were worse than drag radials in the rain, I was genuinly scared making turns at slow speeds.

People give them mixed reviews. But there is enough people describing exactly what I said that I know mine weren’t an outlier. They do last long though.
Yeah Tucson here. I have 315 haven’t really done a dig just rolls but yeah I keep my traction control on haha

JVO21303

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
I also have the Steeda stop the hop kit which I know helps keep everything planted

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
G2's ride way better than any Drag Radial. If you want traction get a drag pack combo, that's what I'm doing and why people run them. A normal all season tire isn't going to hold the power no matter how much they cost.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive tried drag radials and they arent any better on the street than street tires in my experience. Actually in my experience they ball up rubber and are worse.

These are ET street R's after some street use.
Have you tried a nitto or a et street ss? Never had those ball up like that R, which are known for doing that on the street.

Last edited:

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I've had good luck with Continental DWS Sport tires...much better than OEM PP2 rubber. Not boosted yet, but that may require a new rim/tire setup...we'll see.
Sponsored