What tire is everyone using to daily supercharged mustang

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I don't want to trash on the Nittos because I haven't really done much research, but unless I'm missing something - G2's are pretty garbage tires from what I've seen and heard. I've never considered them among the other top summer 300TW+ tires like Conti ECS02, Mich PS4S, or Potenza Sport. If on a budget, check out tire rack's comparison chart: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

The link is for Ultra High Performance tires, but you can change tire category and size to show different tires and prices.
I just installed a Whipple Stage 2 with CF DS. With my PD, my IND500 tires would spin out of control at any speed, any gear. I put Toyo R888R (they humm) on my rear 325/30/19. They Absolutely hook up, no warming them up period. I now have confidence I won't spin towards a ditch when I go WOT. And they corner very well too. Good luck with choice
Sponsored

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
I just installed a Whipple Stage 2 with CF DS. With my PD, my IND500 tires would spin out of control at any speed, any gear. I put Toyo R888R (they humm) on my rear 325/30/19. They Absolutely hook up, no warming them up period. I now have confidence I won't spin towards a ditch when I go WOT. And they corner very well too. Good luck with choice
Funny you mention R888R because I’ve heard they’re dated and overhyped. I think you would have been better off with 200TW endurance tires, but if the 888’s work well for you then that’s good.

I only have experience with Michelin 4S and potenza sports. Looking at Yoko AD09 for daily driving and road course. My car is NA and I want best grip + endurance out of my tires.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Funny you mention R888R because I’ve heard they’re dated and overhyped. I think you would have been better off with 200TW endurance tires, but if the 888’s work well for you then that’s good.

I only have experience with Michelin 4S and potenza sports. Looking at Yoko AD09 for daily driving and road course. My car is NA and I want best grip + endurance out of my tires.
N/A is a total different situation. Going boost especially PD with instant TQ and HP on demand. I don't run on track courses, I don't straight line drag race, I don't have time to warm my tires each time I want to WOT 700+ HP. I don't listen much to Cheerleaders so to speak. I use actual real world test done on videos, credibal test etc. Good Luck.

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Is straight line traction all that is important to you on the street? Drag radials should be better with the right weather temperatures I suppose. You need to work on your suspension a bit at that power level to try and put power down. I'd hate to have to sacrifice street cornering ability, terrible tire wear with just a drag radial so I'm trying to see if I can come up with best solution for my car for example.

I've driven all season tires, drag raced them at the drag strip for data purposes, now just installed Michelin 4S tires on the car this week and will be drag racing it tomorrow to compare how much better they are for my car compared to the all seasons. My plan after is to then purchase a drag radial and see how it does as well, maybe the difference is negligible compared to 4S who knows. After that, I'll make changes I am comfortable with and can live with and perhaps redo the test to see if one really can get as close to a radial performance with top street UHP tires and what it takes. Might be a long summer of tests for me. You'll have to see what works for you and the type of driving you want to do.

I will say this, on the street, the Michelin 4S are awesome for the street.

Last edited:

NateNKW

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt procharger P1X
Ive tried drag radials and they arent any better on the street than street tires in my experience. Actually in my experience they ball up rubber and are worse.

These are ET street R's after some street use.

Youll only get a few thousand miles out of them, less if you do burnouts to try to clean them off or get them hot. And they are hella expensive. I stopped using these for alot of reasons.

Ive tried like 15 brands and models of tires over the years (including ps4s and tons of high end expensive tires like potenza s007 etc). Firehawk indy 500s were pretty good, dws06+ are great for all seasons, but my favorite so far is general Gmax RS for summer tires. Obviously nothing will hook from a dig on the street once you are over like 700 rwhp but these do hook reliably for 60-130s. They hook better than ET street Rs for 60-130s in my experience. Ive spun et street r's to 100+ mph.

You can see et street r's breaking loose here at 60+ and marks on the bridge from prior attempts.

General GMAX RS are also cheap and last a decent amount of time and have good rim protection and size options, so, I'm going to stick with these forever now I think.
Is that the seven mile bridge?
Sponsored