Sponsored

Thinking of trading in...maybe camaro, challenger or wait for 2018 GT?

disneyfun1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Prem Calif Special, 2021 Mustang Mach-E
First off, I love my 16 GT350. It is a wonderful car. I think I am just getting tired of driving manual transmission car now that im 50, and I may or may not have some issues with my left foot as it is(working on it with dr, that's another story). So I have owned a manual almost all my life and shifting is like second nature, I don't even have to think about it.

Sometimes it is nice to just get in the car and go and not shift though. We do have a 15 fusion that is auto, and we recently had a 15 ecoboost mustang that we just traded for a 17 GT automatic. Sure I can drive either one whenever I want, but they are either the family car or my wifes car(though she doesn't mind if I want to take her GT to work), but its not mine.

I was just toying with the idea of maybe its time in life to just get me an automatic car. we went out yesterday and I drive a 2016 dodge challenger scat pack loaded with everything. I will say it was much nicer than I ever thought. Had a lot of power and toys in it that I miss in the GT350. they wanted about 46K for it.

Then we went and drove a 2016 Camaro SS LT2 I think it was. Having never driven one, it was nice but I think I liked the challenger better. it seemed to be loaded, don't know if adaptive cruise is avail but it did not have that. radio didn't sound all that great. Tiny window to see out the back. Both of those cars had 8 speed autos in them. They wanted 47K for that one, but said it was on sale for $1 over invoice so it was about 46K, but something didn't seem right on the price.

We only talked numbers on the Camaro to see what it work to. they said they would give me 52K for my GT350 with 5K miles on it and I have a clear bra as well on it. seemed like I should get more, but then when you factor in the tax factor, that does help, but seems low.

Im still not even sure I want a Camaro or challenger.

I wonder if I should wait a year until the 2018 mustang comes out with the slight redesign and hopefully 10 speed auto that everyone is talking about and just get my own GT then or whatever the best they have with automatic is.

just not sure what to do.

forget to add in, the payments on the Camaro would drop about 88 a month, and I did look at a corvette as well, and the payment on that would go up about 115, which I don't want it to go up at all, if it was the same, I would consider it a lot more.

I have always owned mustang, never a Camaro or challenger or anything, so its hard to decide if I should switch, or stay with what I know.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Sounds like you are definitely on the fence.

Sit on it for a while, then get a Hellcat with an Auto box if you decide you want an Auto :D

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I wonder if I should wait a year until the 2018 mustang comes out with the slight redesign and hopefully 10 speed auto that everyone is talking about and just get my own GT then or whatever the best they have with automatic is.

Personally, I'd wait to see what the '18MY brings. It certainly seems like the 10-speed auto is a given, and a power bump should bring in closer to the 455hp of the Camaro, if not the 475hp (I think?) of the Challenger Scat Pack. Add in a tweaked front n rear end, and I hope the '18MY Mustang will be hard to bet against.

That being said, both Challenger Scat Pack and Camaro SS are superb cars, and I'd happily have either. But I'm a Mustang fan through and through, so I'd have a hard time choosing either of the others over one.

You've probably seen this thread.....but keep an eye on it. Hopefully we'll start to get more reliable news on the '18MY in the next few months.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8598

Good luck with your choice :)

Last edited:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
First off, I love my 16 GT350. It is a wonderful car. I think I am just getting tired of driving manual transmission car now that im 50, and I may or may not have some issues with my left foot as it is(working on it with dr, that's another story). So I have owned a manual almost all my life and shifting is like second nature, I don't even have to think about it.

Sometimes it is nice to just get in the car and go and not shift though. We do have a 15 fusion that is auto, and we recently had a 15 ecoboost mustang that we just traded for a 17 GT automatic. Sure I can drive either one whenever I want, but they are either the family car or my wifes car(though she doesn't mind if I want to take her GT to work), but its not mine.

I was just toying with the idea of maybe its time in life to just get me an automatic car. we went out yesterday and I drive a 2016 dodge challenger scat pack loaded with everything. I will say it was much nicer than I ever thought. Had a lot of power and toys in it that I miss in the GT350. they wanted about 46K for it.

Then we went and drove a 2016 Camaro SS LT2 I think it was. Having never driven one, it was nice but I think I liked the challenger better. it seemed to be loaded, don't know if adaptive cruise is avail but it did not have that. radio didn't sound all that great. Tiny window to see out the back. Both of those cars had 8 speed autos in them. They wanted 47K for that one, but said it was on sale for $1 over invoice so it was about 46K, but something didn't seem right on the price.

We only talked numbers on the Camaro to see what it work to. they said they would give me 52K for my GT350 with 5K miles on it and I have a clear bra as well on it. seemed like I should get more, but then when you factor in the tax factor, that does help, but seems low.

Im still not even sure I want a Camaro or challenger.

forget to add in, the payments on the Camaro would drop about 88 a month, and I did look at a corvette as well, and the payment on that would go up about 115, which I don't want it to go up at all, if it was the same, I would consider it a lot more.

I have always owned mustang, never a Camaro or challenger or anything, so its hard to decide if I should switch, or stay with what I know.
If you never had a Camaro or charger / challenger why start now? Just because it has a automatic. Your a ford guy. Enjoy your gt350 and wait a little bit until the 2018 comes out or get a GT 5.0 performance pack with an auto and add a Whipple or some other mods to it. Or perhaps a Roush.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Go check out a 16 corvette Z51 8 speed auto. 1LT coupe full leather interior and soft door panels..... With $8K to $10K discounts.
New ones are $54K 3.7 to 60 and 11.9 1/4 mile. The Z51 has all the coolers eng,trans and diff. Check out a used 15 with low miles $51K.
You should be able to get $57 to $58 for your 350 tech or track pack on trade. But not for long. I'm seeing an increase of used 16 350's hitting the market. Plus new 16's tech pack cars are sitting on the lots. Good luck and check out all the great performance cars out there. It's a candy store for us car crazy people.
If the offer is $52 tell them to call around and that you need $57 ......believe me you will get it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
It's nice to have options from other manufacturers depending on your driving mood.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the Challenger is a nice car. It's big and it lays on the road very well. Great cruiser and terrific for long interstate drives.

I'm sorry to hear about your foot injury. I've had a calf injury that comes and goes - it sucks I know. The GT350 having such a light clutch helps in that regard.

Whether to trade is such a personal decision. I think you have to go with your own thoughts and do what is right for you. The other cars you are considering probably will lose value more quickly than a GT350. One thing to consider is to look at the ZL1 when it comes out - that might keep its value better. Or if money doesn't matter then just buy what you want. The BMW M2 sounds pretty good to me, or a slightly used Cayman. Ever thought about BMW or Porsche?

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I bought my 2016 Vette convertible 11% off msrp and it was ordered. A stock one should get you more off as 17's are hitting lots.
[/URL][/IMG]

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Anyone can order or buy a corvette. Keep the GT350.

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I can't imagine selling my 350 but if it was going to happen.
I could imagine even less buying a camaro or challenger :(
You being a Ford guy, I would keep the 350 and see what comes in next year or 2.
I think you will be very surprised and happy :)

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I think I found somebody that hates GM more than me. I didn't think that was possible. :lol:

To be fair, it is easy to get your hands on a GT350 now as well. I can't believe I'm saying this, but if I didn't need rear seats, I'd take a very hard look at a Vette. They are awesome cars.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I think it is a pretty easy choice between the two depending on how you drive. Do you like to do the occasional track day and hit the canyons out there? Or just like to go for a cruise?

If it's the first one get the Camaro. If it's the second get the big comfy Dodge.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
I think the C7 coupe is one great looking car. A 16 Z51 8 speed coupe @ $54K. It's very temping if you are shopping the big 3. You have to admit there's a lot of choices in the $45 to $57 price range.
image.jpg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Exclusivity is not everything. Anyone can get their hands on a Cayman or Boxster too, does that take away from them the fact that they are still one of the best handling 2 seat-er sports cars in the world, possibly the best according to any number of reviewers?

As another used stated, 16' 350's are still sitting on dealer lots and 17's are being produced. Should not be hard at all to find one at MSRP, and with so many sitting, it isnt really hard to find one at all.

OP: I personally would hold onto the 350 as long as your condition does not prevent you or cause you enough discomfort to warrant not being able to drive it. If you were going to switch to an auto, I would 100% be looking at a Z51 Corvette. They are fantastic cars; my father bought one last year, and when considered as an actual road car, it far surpasses the 350 in regards to interior creature comforts, overall "exotic" looks and styling, grand touring capability, etc. I however, am not a fan of the lazyish slow-revving characteristics of the big 6.2L. I am paying much more for my R than my father did for his Z51, but the extra $$ pays for exclusivity and in my mind a better engine, as well as a more "race car" like experience.

As a total package for a car you could drive everyday in complete comfort, get better MPG out of on longer trips, and still have a very low, capable sports car that handles phenomenally well, I definitely believe the Vette trumps the 350. However, you do have to spec the 2LT or 3LT to get the full leather interior with touchscreen navigation, cooled/heated leather seats, etc. that give it the win in the interior category. The 1LT is much more comparable to the 350 and would be a toss up in regards to which character you prefer more.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I too came from a 2015 Corvette. I got 12% off list but mine was an M7. If you want an auto, I'd wait for the new 10 speed auto designed by Ford and GM. The A8 in the current C7's are a mess. Lots of people complaining about them overheating, banging into gear, etc. I spent a LOT of time on the Corvette Forum and everyday there is someone else who has a bad A8. GM put bad Torque converters in earlier models.

My C7 was ~700 RWHP and I still sold it in favor of a Mustang. The C7 is a great car but I would not get one with an auto now. In 18 the 10 speed should be available in the C7 and the Mustang so I'd say hold out.

Here is my previous C7...

Sponsored