Sponsored

Put a deposit on a new car- you guys going to laugh.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
. Dark emerald and bronze wheels looks sharp. Some guy at the office has one.
Sponsored

Last edited:

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One more thing....the Subaru crew...they are just weird dudes. Couldn't stand them in the WRX days. Wearing those WRC jackets everywhere, thinking they had Audi S4's, blah blah

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
You will miss the power of the V8, but the car is a ton of fun. I seriously considered the Su, baru version a while back, but ended up with the Bullitt. Tons of character and great manners on the track and street, plus a huge aftermarket much like the Mustang. Never underestimate the pleasure of driving a slow car fast.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
One more thing....the Subaru crew...they are just weird dudes. Couldn't stand them in the WRX days. Wearing those WRC jackets everywhere, thinking they had Audi S4's, blah blah
Almost as bad as Mustang guys............. lol

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
You will miss the power of the V8, but the car is a ton of fun. I seriously considered the Su, baru version a while back, but ended up with the Bullitt. Tons of character and great manners on the track and street, plus a huge aftermarket much like the Mustang. Never underestimate the pleasure of driving a slow car fast.
Iā€™ve never owned a v8. I drove Subaru Outback wagons as my first vehicles when I was in army, and Subaru forester, then got me a Scion tc that I still own today. Then I got me my ecoboost mustang which felt like a rocket in comparison to my tc.

I sold mustang a few years back and I loved the car but when I went back to tc I didnā€™t really miss it when comes to size of car. I like the smaller car and my tc sound system is fully upgraded and just a fun ride. Even with 170hp - thereā€™s the difference I can wind out my tc (but I just casual drive) however I didnā€™t look down and see Iā€™m going 100mph flooring onto highway. Not an issue with slower cars

I only say that because Iā€™ve never had a ticket or at fault accident, Iā€™ve been hit and I hit a guy who pulled in front of me his fault. Now, when I want speed. My 2022 gsxs1000 GT is a monster. Itā€™s a comfy monster but itā€™s legit like 0-100 instant.

@ hack, didnā€™t qoute you because itā€™s really long and Iā€™m on iPhone. I read about the track stuff and warranty things. Thatā€™s a shame they didnā€™t want to honor people tracking and such. I personally wouldnā€™t take my car to the track, I would give that track day away if I can to someone here if I can or a friend somewhere.

my friend had a really fast track car he I got to ride passenger in once or twice and man it looked like so much fun, thrown around and having a blast. But I saw people hit walls and hit comes and stuff on other obstacle tracks and such. Not something I want to risk.

i used to do track days in my sportbikes, traveled across the country to a few of them with trailers and friends and such, we had an absolute blast. Dropped my gsxr once and friend dropped his as well. Fixed and went on way, but bikes are cheap compared to cars.

I donā€™t have many friends, and I donā€™t do the car scene anymore. Years back Iā€™d go to little car meets w my ecoboost mustang a lot of people liked it, but my god the mustang crowd absolutely shot on my eb. Like legit just mean people. Iā€™d be like how are you? Nice car. Theyā€™d be like fuk off ecoboost.

what? Iā€™m not even joking. I parked my car by a row of mustangs once. Came back and found all like 6 gtā€ cars moved their forward like 3 spaces away from my car. Not even joking. Stupid. It was the cheap beater cars and Honda people that was actually really nice to talk to and such.

but I digress, fuel economy. I watched a guy take his 23 gt86 on highway for a few hours and he returned 32mpg just commuting. Thatā€™s excellent news, bc I read people having an average life of like 20mpg lifetime. That is mind blowing my low.

edit, reason I stopped tracking, eh I just fell out of love with it. The time required to get to track, all the prep work, we slept at the tracks overnight it was fun but also miserable, wake up and have bad weather possibility or someone goes down and takes awhile clean track or someone takes you down and such. Not to mention $$$$$$$ spent for just few hours. Weather rained me out a few times- no refunds nothing Notta.

Glad got to do it, made me a better rider. But Iā€™d prefer just casual riding in twisties somewhere than balls to walls free for all now a days on a track unless I was using someone elseā€™s rented bike lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Hereā€™s my stable. Gf bought her a Nissan rogue. So if we ever need people hauler, covered.

my Scion tc, itā€™s going nowhere! Itā€™s my pride and joy. Itl eat up those winter miles and Iā€™d use it for trips too, and I use it for anything where I need crap tons of room and I even have a trailer attachment that works on it. Itā€™s how I hauled motorcycles around

I took this photos because we had tornado warnings few nights ago. Made it work, tc would sit outside in future and shove little gr86 in there. Cheapest car gets beat up first. Just toss weighed blankets on it incase of hail.

IMG_8792.jpeg

IMG_8790.jpeg

IMG_8791.jpeg

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Iā€™ve never owned a v8. I drove Subaru Outback wagons as my first vehicles when I was in army, and Subaru forester, then got me a Scion tc that I still own today. Then I got me my ecoboost mustang which felt like a rocket in comparison to my tc.

I sold mustang a few years back and I loved the car but when I went back to tc I didnā€™t really miss it when comes to size of car. I like the smaller car and my tc sound system is fully upgraded and just a fun ride. Even with 170hp - thereā€™s the difference I can wind out my tc (but I just casual drive) however I didnā€™t look down and see Iā€™m going 100mph flooring onto highway. Not an issue with slower cars

I only say that because Iā€™ve never had a ticket or at fault accident, Iā€™ve been hit and I hit a guy who pulled in front of me his fault. Now, when I want speed. My 2022 gsxs1000 GT is a monster. Itā€™s a comfy monster but itā€™s legit like 0-100 instant.

@ hack, didnā€™t qoute you because itā€™s really long and Iā€™m on iPhone. I read about the track stuff and warranty things. Thatā€™s a shame they didnā€™t want to honor people tracking and such. I personally wouldnā€™t take my car to the track, I would give that track day away if I can to someone here if I can or a friend somewhere.

my friend had a really fast track car he I got to ride passenger in once or twice and man it looked like so much fun, thrown around and having a blast. But I saw people hit walls and hit comes and stuff on other obstacle tracks and such. Not something I want to risk.

i used to do track days in my sportbikes, traveled across the country to a few of them with trailers and friends and such, we had an absolute blast. Dropped my gsxr once and friend dropped his as well. Fixed and went on way, but bikes are cheap compared to cars.

I donā€™t have many friends, and I donā€™t do the car scene anymore. Years back Iā€™d go to little car meets w my ecoboost mustang a lot of people liked it, but my god the mustang crowd absolutely shot on my eb. Like legit just mean people. Iā€™d be like how are you? Nice car. Theyā€™d be like fuk off ecoboost.

what? Iā€™m not even joking. I parked my car by a row of mustangs once. Came back and found all like 6 gtā€ cars moved their forward like 3 spaces away from my car. Not even joking. Stupid. It was the cheap beater cars and Honda people that was actually really nice to talk to and such.

but I digress, fuel economy. I watched a guy take his 23 gt86 on highway for a few hours and he returned 32mpg just commuting. Thatā€™s excellent news, bc I read people having an average life of like 20mpg lifetime. That is mind blowing my low.

edit, reason I stopped tracking, eh I just fell out of love with it. The time required to get to track, all the prep work, we slept at the tracks overnight it was fun but also miserable, wake up and have bad weather possibility or someone goes down and takes awhile clean track or someone takes you down and such. Not to mention $$$$$$$ spent for just few hours. Weather rained me out a few times- no refunds nothing Notta.

Glad got to do it, made me a better rider. But Iā€™d prefer just casual riding in twisties somewhere than balls to walls free for all now a days on a track unless I was using someone elseā€™s rented bike lol
Iā€™m sorry you had that experience with local Mustang people. There are elitest groups all over and itā€™s BS. I get the same thing on the Chevelle groups, mine is a real 69 SS 396 4 speed car. But I pulled the 396 and built a fuel injected 540 and put a 5 speed in it. Youā€™d think I defaced the Mona Lisa or something by building it how I wanted. I get shunned by the local guys all the time because itā€™s not factory original or restored to factory. Funny enough, I park by them and my car gets more looks than theirs so they all leave. šŸ˜

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes fuel economy is good. I averaged 28 mpg in the GR86 and I get about 17 in the Mustang GT on the same commute.

I think you would probably be fine if you aren't going to track it. I've never owned a Toyota before and I was surprised at how the dealer reacted when I asked them to look at a potential warranty claim (the infotainment system would randomly stop working). They acted like it might not be covered. To me that is really poor customer service. I always heard Toyota was a good brand, but I've had way better response from the local Ford dealer if my car has an issue. It could be my local dealer's service that was the problem more than anything. They were good when doing my free oil changes, but any mention of warranty and they were almost hostile.

My purchasing experience from a different local Toyota dealer was fine, but that's probably the easier part for them to get right.

I also think that as a motorcycle person, you will enjoy how light the GR86 is. It feels great in corners. Mustangs can turn corners well, but they feel like they are overpowering the road with huge tires, etc. whereas the GR86 just turns really easily.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yes fuel economy is good. I averaged 28 mpg in the GR86 and I get about 17 in the Mustang GT on the same commute.

I think you would probably be fine if you aren't going to track it. I've never owned a Toyota before and I was surprised at how the dealer reacted when I asked them to look at a potential warranty claim (the infotainment system would randomly stop working). They acted like it might not be covered. To me that is really poor customer service. I always heard Toyota was a good brand, but I've had way better response from the local Ford dealer if my car has an issue. It could be my local dealer's service that was the problem more than anything. They were good when doing my free oil changes, but any mention of warranty and they were almost hostile.

My purchasing experience from a different local Toyota dealer was fine, but that's probably the easier part for them to get right.

I also think that as a motorcycle person, you will enjoy how light the GR86 is. It feels great in corners. Mustangs can turn corners well, but they feel like they are overpowering the road with huge tires, etc. whereas the GR86 just turns really easily.
sounds like this will be a neat little car for me, and my toyota and me have a lot of rapport. been using them for about 8 years for small things and parts. There was 1 issue with my tc. some might remember, but 2-3 years ago my input shaft on my trans was fried, it sounded like a jet engine, in 2011-2013 scion tc, manual the input shaft was faulty, they revised the parts and everything.

no one would touch it though, no one could get parts, no one would rebuild it, and toyota helped me out. @ 175k my clutch was still 100% perfect, no slipping nothing, but since my transmission sounded like a jet engine, toyota worked me a deal, full clutch + BRAND NEW TRANS, for like 3500 OTD. it was 12-14 hours of labor as well @ 125 an hour included in this. (I opened a cc and got a spend 3000 in 3 months, get 800 back) did that day 1 and closed cc after lol. so 2700 dollars got me a brand new transmission with the new part, and a new clutch installed.

Tho toyota really wanted my car as its pretty much spotless, immaculate. it means more to me as a daily or winter car than anything so I kept it. but other dealers wanted like 5-7k. they cut off basically half of the price.

just good people, always cut me deals if I do need something from them and toyota parts otherwise are ridiculously cheap, if I put an order in for dealer pick up through website, its legit like 30% off discount on pretty much everything.

I know this is a Subaru at heart, I wish it was a toyota engine as ive really been happy with mine, I treat things really well and take care of things, I am assuming I won't ruin this car. I did ask them to get me the included subwoofer 799, they was able to add it as PIO option, because I read its a pain in the ass to add after, and id rather have it added from factory for warranty reasons. and its removable if I ever need more space.

Though I will say, ive met some sleazy toyota dealers, hear this. I put brand new brakes/pads on my tc a long time ago, I asked her to take the car to the dealership for oil change. They came back and told her she needed all new pads/rotors/brakes. I went off. I went to dealership and said show me. Low behold, it was all brand new. they said oh sorry, we got the cars confused.

BS. Never went back

As for the infotainment, it seemed good to me, all I use is CarPlay and such, but if it ever did give me a lot of grief, I'd just toss a wireless CarPlay pioneer in it. (500) bucks or so. I did the same thing to my scion tc, 4-5 years ago and it's been absolute bulletproof, and sounds excellent. However I did it because my car didnt have CarPlay at all. Let alone wireless it came with. I'd have zero issue doing the same to the new car though once out of warranty. (If it was truly needed like constantly crashing)

The ONLY thing I can see being annoying is, I did notice the arm rest release button is right where my elbow sat when I did a moment of pretend shifting, but I see people only put a pad / cushion there, or a little 3d printed button cover to prevent accidental openings. would been 10x better if the button was on the backside instead. but hey whatever

Last edited:
OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m sorry you had that experience with local Mustang people. There are elitest groups all over and itā€™s BS. I get the same thing on the Chevelle groups, mine is a real 69 SS 396 4 speed car. But I pulled the 396 and built a fuel injected 540 and put a 5 speed in it. Youā€™d think I defaced the Mona Lisa or something by building it how I wanted. I get shunned by the local guys all the time because itā€™s not factory original or restored to factory. Funny enough, I park by them and my car gets more looks than theirs so they all leave. šŸ˜
Unfortunately people are just jerks. I went to the little car shows to just talk about cars and hangout enjoy myself. Not get into confrontations about what I didnt like about your car. Freedom of expression in end of things. If everyone had the same thing, things would be boring.

im thinking 40-50% tint on the new car if I get it. just a little darkness. 93 octane kind of blows, but hey I use sams club/ Costco. so its like 5-8 dollars extra per tank.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Well if it makes you feel any better I can can pull on my BMW motorad jacket and cap while astride a s1000rr in order to disparage you based on being a Suzuki owner. šŸ˜€

Says the guy who owns 3.5 sv650s.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have owned several Subarus. The engines are crap. That's a great car to play with, but a Miata is better and the engine is much better.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have owned several Subarus. The engines are crap. That's a great car to play with, but a Miata is better and the engine is much better.
well I hope it won't blow up from daily use.

Soooooo today I looked online to see if there was any used ones near me to 'test drive' come to find out, there was an automatic Neptune blue, base model traded in, 31k miles. (29k price) gotta be kidding me. thats same price as the current year new.

anyway I called said hey can I test drive? I said probably not interested really buying due to auto, he said come out, we are slow and bored. gave me the keys and let me go drive. its a fun little car, and honestly, the auto is slower than the manual I guess in feel, and it was quite peppy. like, I was perfectly content and actually quite surprised how the feel in the seat felt.

im not an expect, but it feels more than 180hp at the wheels. a lot more. took on highway for about 5-10 minutes and it was registering 33mpg just cruising @ 70mph. which sounds right since the manual got 32mpg in a video review him driving around on cruise.

this solidified my curiosity. its a fun little car. as long as engine doesn't blow, I think id like it a lot!.

I read there's a member with 100k on his 2021 and trouble free. and someone else has a 2015 with 150k frs. they said no issues just change oil and such. gives me a little bit of relief, that not all of them are time bombs.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As for the infotainment, it seemed good to me, all I use is CarPlay and such, but if it ever did give me a lot of grief, I'd just toss a wireless CarPlay pioneer in it. (500) bucks or so. I did the same thing to my scion tc, 4-5 years ago and it's been absolute bulletproof, and sounds excellent. However I did it because my car didnt have CarPlay at all. Let alone wireless it came with. I'd have zero issue doing the same to the new car though once out of warranty. (If it was truly needed like constantly crashing)

The ONLY thing I can see being annoying is, I did notice the arm rest release button is right where my elbow sat when I did a moment of pretend shifting, but I see people only put a pad / cushion there, or a little 3d printed button cover to prevent accidental openings. would been 10x better if the button was on the backside instead. but hey whatever
The infotainment thing was rare. It only happened a couple times. Every once in a great while the infotainment wouldn't work at all or there would be no sound. I assume the software is a little flakey and doesn't always boot up correctly. Usually the next time I ran the car it would be fine.

I listen to music off a thumb drive quite a bit, and the Subaru has this really odd thing where the music will cut out briefly and then restart. Like a CD skipping or something. It's annoying but not the end of the world.

I never had any issues with the placement of the arm rest release button. Possibly my arm is longer so my elbow is farther back. Not sure.

Unfortunately people are just jerks. I went to the little car shows to just talk about cars and hangout enjoy myself. Not get into confrontations about what I didnt like about your car. Freedom of expression in end of things. If everyone had the same thing, things would be boring.

im thinking 40-50% tint on the new car if I get it. just a little darkness. 93 octane kind of blows, but hey I use sams club/ Costco. so its like 5-8 dollars extra per tank.
Yeah there aren't that many 93 octane places around me. I found one nearby, but it was a little more annoying to go there rather than where I usually do.

I really wish I fit in a Miata. I'd have to own one for a while, at least. But that's a car I DEFINITELY don't want to be in any kind of an accident in.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The infotainment thing was rare. It only happened a couple times. Every once in a great while the infotainment wouldn't work at all or there would be no sound. I assume the software is a little flakey and doesn't always boot up correctly. Usually the next time I ran the car it would be fine.

I listen to music off a thumb drive quite a bit, and the Subaru has this really odd thing where the music will cut out briefly and then restart. Like a CD skipping or something. It's annoying but not the end of the world.

I never had any issues with the placement of the arm rest release button. Possibly my arm is longer so my elbow is farther back. Not sure.

Yeah there aren't that many 93 octane places around me. I found one nearby, but it was a little more annoying to go there rather than where I usually do.

I really wish I fit in a Miata. I'd have to own one for a while, at least. But that's a car I DEFINITELY don't want to be in any kind of an accident in.
Every gas station around me has 93 octane. but I shop at sams and Costco, Costco is top tier, and sams is whatever they put in it. but when I had my mustang, I had a octane obd reader and it told me the fuel was -1.00 which is good fuel, so I used it a lot. I get 93 cheaper at sams than I get 87 at other stations. not even joking.

I have no doubt Costco isn't superior though being top tier and they dont discount much, but I get the best mpg from their fuel than ive ever had any other fuel. gas is gas, but they got magic sprinkled in there's.

the one I drove was a base, and the music, was meh, I did research and the ones in premium are higher grade and more power, and more speakers, so I was adequate with base speakers, I bet the premium + the stock sub I will probably be more than content.

maybe you had a lemon radio, I know like 2-3 times a year my pioneer will literally shut off lol. I just pull turn key off and back on and it's back to normal. small hiccup.

im 5'8 155lbs. im a real small guy. so this car fit me like a glove.

I looked @ kbb values, out of curiosity. it says these gr86's literally hold like 90% of their value years later. what the hell
Sponsored