Sponsored

Put a deposit on a new car- you guys going to laugh.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Ive been working my ass off the last 2-3 years and im finally content again with things. I've had my daily for 12-13 years, its at 200k, got me a little scooter for commuting back fourth to work through city on nice days (absolutely a hoot flooring it around getting 100mpg+) and a touring sport bike that I cruise all summer. Something was missing though, needed some fun.

Haven't got to test drive one yet, but I have been in an old frs yearsss ago and it was a nimble fun car. I wasn't interested and not sure why, but I went to toyota and I saw a damn gr86, and it was SHARP. Asked them to check out interior etc, and all that. All of them are pre sold before they even hit the lots in my area. This was sold as well, but they let me check it out as it just arrived and see it.

I was sold, I never used rear seats once in my scion tc, or my mustang. It's a little shoebox but I think it'll be a crap ton of fun!. Ordered a manual in this color and config. out the door for below 36k with some add ons. - downfall, my car isn't arriving til July/august. but that is a good thing too, because if I heard a turbo model or something dumb was coming out for 2025 I would pull out, (deposit is fully refundable) They said if I dont even like my car in the test drive, its refunded.They have a good reputation here so I chose to go with them.

Anyway, not my car. but this is what it will look like. -- its like my grabber blue mustang but mini, its 2800lbs, 228hp, and 184 tq (at 3700rpm) from what I read, they are an absolute fun little summer play car/daily.

Anyone have experience?-- im glad my date is far behind as it gives me a chance to listen/pay attention to 2025 leaks if any changes are happening, but seeing this is year 2 of this new gen on this car. im doubtful anything changes.

side note, I get an additional 500 off If I finance with toyota, then like 2 weeks later im refinancing with navy fed credit union and I get 200 dollars for refinancing 2 months after its opened up. thats 700 bucks just for shuffling a loan. nice perk. maybe the fed drops rate interest .25 a percent or something too by then

I ordered the same car and color as below in manual.

tempImagefpTTX1.png

tempImagemK4pXS.png

tempImagexkVh7J.png

IMG_8839.jpg

tempImageFDY0yl.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
What am I seeing right there behind the air filter box? An accessible and mess-proof oil filter???!?

It looks like there's a chrom-ish raised lip that catches the oil when you unscrew the filter?

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
What am I seeing right there behind the air filter box? An accessible and mess-proof oil filter???!?

It looks like there's a chrom-ish raised lip that catches the oil when you unscrew the filter?
Not sure, I opened hood snapped photo and closed it back down. It's a weird looking little engine for sure. But I was pleasantly surprised to see the oil filter right there in my face! but yeah, the oil chrome thing is wider than the filter, so it should in theory, make no mess, just do a quick flip up, and pull away.

looking forward to that.

edit bonkers. - click Link, its right where its unscrewing it off. first car ive ever seen that way

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my car vin/build/reservation. - they have 5 of them, and already 4 are sold. - mines the far right one. there's literally zero of these cars for sale anywhere around me, even on the auto trader site says "they are around" but when you go to the dealership sites, they are in building/presold.

so I said screw it, if they can get what I want, which they did, I reserved it, and if I dont like it or dont feel it during test drive, I'll back out. but there's no other way to test drive one for me here as there are none.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 6.41.08ā€ÆPM.png

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Nice! I saw one in black the other day looked really sharp.

Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Subaru engine alone would make me not buy that car. Sounds great but...screw Subaru engines

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The Subaru engine alone would make me not buy that car. Sounds great but...screw Subaru engines
im looking at warranties extended, I put a 100k 7 year warranty on my tc back in the day for 800.
says 100k 7 year is 950. honestly not terrible. - these are authentic toyota warranties. at 99.9k I took my scion to toyota and they replaced a bunch of things, including my full struts/shocks lol.

The fact is a Subaru engine, really contemplating another extended.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 7.41.17ā€ÆPM.png

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Thereā€™s a couple of those things in my neighborhood. One is a black gr86, from the sounds of it it must have a DCT or something shifts super fast, the guy does like 60 through the neighborhood passing kids as he goes. Heā€™s come out to flat tires a few times and just keeps doing it.

The other is a white 1st gen FRS that some teenager has. Itā€™s the loudest thing Iā€™ve ever heard. Makes my Mustang with Corsa Extremes sound quiet.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thereā€™s a couple of those things in my neighborhood. One is a black gr86, from the sounds of it it must have a DCT or something shifts super fast, the guy does like 60 through the neighborhood passing kids as he goes. Heā€™s come out to flat tires a few times and just keeps doing it.

The other is a white 1st gen FRS that some teenager has. Itā€™s the loudest thing Iā€™ve ever heard. Makes my Mustang with Corsa Extremes sound quiet.
Thats terrible, we have speeding issues terribly as well, but its just regular cars using my road as a bypass between streets, they legit go 60 through here as well even though its like 25mph. there's nothing we can do about it as it isn't even repeat offenders, its legit everyone who comes through.

the worst offenders are the trucks though, they come screaming down the roads at night waking everyone up sounds like a diesel/train coming through.

but, ignoring that he's a lame ass. How do you feel about the looks of them?- random note. my scion tc ive had for forever, is still expensive to insure, I mean I pay 40 bucks a month, but its fricken 13 years old, and thats liability/underinsured/under insured and medical. with 200,000 miles. my gfs brand new rogue Nissan 40k vehicle she pays like 70 dollars for full coverage.

scions are one of the highest rated insured cars I think still to date as they was bought by teens and wrecked. every time I see a tc, they are flying around traffic cutting people off and speeding.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
Not sure, I opened hood snapped photo and closed it back down. It's a weird looking little engine for sure. But I was pleasantly surprised to see the oil filter right there in my face! but yeah, the oil chrome thing is wider than the filter, so it should in theory, make no mess, just do a quick flip up, and pull away.

looking forward to that.

edit bonkers. - click Link, its right where its unscrewing it off. first car ive ever seen that way

So simple, but designed the way it should be. From the video - are the bottom panels actually made of METAL??! Who designed this car? Easy to change oil filter and metal bottom panels? Sacrilegious.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So simple, but designed the way it should be. From the video - are the bottom panels actually made of METAL??! Who designed this car? Easy to change oil filter and metal bottom panels? Sacrilegious.
I just saw photos of the under carriage in a video, (yeah im still watching videos learning about the car) kind of neat, reminds me of my little rc street cars I used to race as a kid.
1712364005950-4y.png

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT

Iā€™ve had the opportunity to throw a 1st gen BRZ around some mountain passes. Super fun cars, no doubt. I felt it was under powered, but they did bump the power a little for the 2nd gen which is a nice thing IMO.

They look OK, one thing I can say, my Mustang is my family car, both boys fit in the back seat if needed. Couldnā€™t do that with the 86. lol

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
I test drove a BRZ a few years ago for shits-and-giggles. Definitely a fun car to wring out! I wanted a BRZ, but my wife wanted me to get a 4-door, so I settled on my GTI.

I'd be jealous if you got an 86 šŸ˜Š

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You certainly won't be disappointed, they're very fun and very easy to live with. It's like a Mustang with better inputs but less power. That's my favorite color for them too.

My only complaints are as follows:

1: The Subaru boxer engine. Not only have they had issues with excess RTV in the oil pump pickup screen (although it's debatable how much this really matters), they don't have enough oil capacity for my tastes on this new gen for track use. These engines don't seem to be a fan of long high speed curves. And if you blow it up on track, Toyota will work very hard to tell you to F off after the fact. This engine also requires 91 octane minimum, period. It's actually tuned for 93. That's really how they got the extra power and torque out of it for the new gen.

2: The comments. Normal people will compliment these cars, but anyone in the "car scene" will hassle you non stop about how slow it is, even though it's really not that bad. Miata gets the same flack. I suspect it will get old having people try to race you all the time without the power to slap back once in a while.

Other than that they're just fun. I wouldn't mind having one if the Mustang didn't do a lot of what it does but with V8 noises.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Haven't got to test drive one yet, but I have been in an old frs yearsss ago and it was a nimble fun car. I wasn't interested and not sure why, but I went to toyota and I saw a damn gr86, and it was SHARP.

SNIP
I owned a 2022 GR86. I bought it 2 years ago. I ended up owning it for a year and a half as my most of the time daily (I don't currently own anything but summer tires for my 2017 GT). The GR86 is a lot of fun to drive and the interior touch surfaces are much nicer than those in a Mustang interior. The leather material Subaru uses is a lot less plasticy feeling than what Ford uses. The transmission is similar to the MT82 I would say - which means it's fine can be a little notchy when cold but I had no issues with it. The shifter is really great in the GR86. Really a pleasure to operate and the transmission is fine once it's warm.

The gearing is set up really well and the engine feels torquey in first gear. It's quicker than an 80s Mustang, but compared to an S550 GT it will feel slow once you get above 20 mph or so.

However, it's awesome in corners and it feels like it weighs nearly nothing compared to a Mustang. It's lower to the ground but not so low that you feel like every other car on the road is towering over you. I owned a 944 for a while and I felt like my eyes were level with the middle of a Camry door. It's a little unnerving when almost everything is so much higher off the ground. The GR86 is much better than that. Just enough lower than a Mustang to be noticeable, but not crazy low. They actually raised the ride height with this latest generation.
Front np.JPG

It is definitely built to a price point and the front struts don't absorb bumps quite as smoothly as what Ford puts on Mustangs. And the suspension is much firmer than Mustang GT/PP1 etc. Slightly firmer than my GT350 was. So, I liked it, but I would say it's not for everyone.

Yes the oil filter is very easy to access and change. You have to pull a metal panel off to drain the oil, but filling is really easy. Yes, there is a raised lip around the filter and it does catch drips. I didn't really love the filter being upside down, because I prefer to pre-fill the oil filter.

Why did I sell mine after a year and a half? Combination of Subaru's engine and Toyota's denial of warranty on people for doing anything that could be construed as spirited driving. Plus, as a daily driven in winter I wanted a vehicle I trusted more in a crash. People who ride motorcycles probably think the GR86 is plenty safe enough, but I decided I want a bigger and sturdier structure around me. I gave up motorcycles after a close call about 10 years ago.

A guy at my work has an old 911 and I was surprised to learn that the 911 has always had a dry sump oiling system. After owning and reading about how the current Subaru flat 4s are working and the issues, I feel that Subaru cheaped out and did it wrong by leaving a dry sump oiling system off a sporty vehicle with a flat 4 engine.

Toyota gives away a free track day with the purchase of the GR86. I went to Utah for the track day with my GT350, but I didn't do the Toyota track day. I read the disclaimers on the track day offer and I decided I was uncomfortable and unsure whether Toyota would honor their warranty if I tracked the car. So even though I like tracking cars I was not planning to ever take my GR86 to the track while it was under warranty.

In the end I traded for my LT1 and I'm very happy with that decision. The Camaro is bigger and bulkier, but it's faster too. V8 noises are awesome. And the Camaro feels like a tank. I believe it would be safer in a crash.
Sponsored

Last edited: