Sponsored

If you guys wanna see how the GT350 performs at the track...

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
LOL! It does have the slight resemblance to the Aston Martin on the front!!
Almost makes the Porsche look soft!
Sponsored

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you are saying you are faster on the back straight then Tommy Milner in a 2015 Z06 which barely hit 153 mph.
I would hit consistantly 142-144 mph in my Boss 302 Laguna on the RA back straight - i'm fairly certain 153 mph is pretty easy in a GT350.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Almost makes the Porsche look soft!
Well porsche does look soft. I'm sorry but if you look at them from front without the rear spoiler, 9 out of 10 people wont be able to tell a gt3 from a cs and they all look same, soft, curvy, etc.

I swear every time I see a 997 driving towards me, I cannot tell whether its a carrera or a regular gt3. Once he passes me i always check my rear view mirror and then "aha" moment. And its 50/50 I am always wrong. In the new 991 body style, I cannot tell gt4 and gt3 and gt3rs apart unless I view them from side or rear. Sad considering one goes for 85k other as high as 300.

This is the downside of having so many models of the same car. They have more models than my wife has boots and she has a lot.

- carrera for weekend warrior
- carrera gts for people who want to drive more backroads but some tracking
- gt3 for people who want to track but also drive on the street
- gt3 rs for people who want to drive more aggressively but also drive on street
- 911R for "purists". Its funny however this "purist" car has no A/C and no leather dash to save weight yet porsche says its for "weekend driver/purist" who wants canyon driving not tracking. I am curious how it will feel without A/C and that non leather crappy seat itching your ass in 110F california desert backroad driving. I guarantee you more than half of those rich 918 owners who are buying a 911R cannot be without an A/C:)

Sometimes I look at porsche and laugh. I understand they have to make money but they are milking this soooo hard and there are so many people (especially in the US) who dont understand what these gt cars are capable of (mmm you are certainly NOT one of them) who buy these cars at sticker, put 1200 miles in a year, and sell them at rennlist.

OP
OP
mmm635

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Well porsche does look soft. I'm sorry but if you look at them from front without the rear spoiler, 9 out of 10 people wont be able to tell a gt3 from a cs and they all look same, soft, curvy, etc.

I swear every time I see a 997 driving towards me, I cannot tell whether its a carrera or a regular gt3. Once he passes me i always check my rear view mirror and then "aha" moment. And its 50/50 I am always wrong. In the new 991 body style, I cannot tell gt4 and gt3 and gt3rs apart unless I view them from side or rear. Sad considering one goes for 85k other as high as 300.

This is the downside of having so many models of the same car. They have more models than my wife has boots and she has a lot.

- carrera for weekend warrior
- carrera gts for people who want to drive more backroads but some tracking
- gt3 for people who want to track but also drive on the street
- gt3 rs for people who want to drive more aggressively but also drive on street
- 911R for "purists". Its funny however this "purist" car has no A/C and no leather dash to save weight yet porsche says its for "weekend driver/purist" who wants canyon driving not tracking. I am curious how it will feel without A/C and that non leather crappy seat itching your ass in 110F california desert backroad driving. I guarantee you more than half of those rich 918 owners who are buying a 911R cannot be without an A/C:)

Sometimes I look at porsche and laugh. I understand they have to make money but they are milking this soooo hard and there are so many people (especially in the US) who dont understand what these gt cars are capable of (mmm you are certainly NOT one of them) who buy these cars at sticker, put 1200 miles in a year, and sell them at rennlist.
Yeah, my GT3 looks very sedate compared to the RS. But that is a good thing to a certain degree. The GT3 can easily be driven as a daily driver and not draw too much attention, and this is exactly what you are describing. It has its advantages when you live in a rural area and don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, for lack of a better description. The RS on the other hand, looks like a freak. Although you cannot tell in the pic I posted, the RS is easily recognizable once you see it. Even my 15 year old could see the difference and was salivating all over it at first sight. He is around allot of cars!

The 911R. That is a different animal. I spec'd one out and trying to get one as a long shot through my dealer. MSRP ended up around $212K and was optioned with a/c, lift, nav, leather everywhere, etc. The people that purchase this car are not going to want a stripper - 5% will probably only see the track, if that. So, people are going to want all of the tech amenities with the "nostalgia" of a manual shift car. If a person wants fast lap times, then PDK will destroy nostalgia!

This pic has all three cars in it. Funny thing is, the GT350 is the most aggressive looking from the front.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
So with the future forthcoming 991.2 GT3... will it come standard w/ the manual and the PDK as an extra cost option or vice-versa? What do you think?

Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I see what you are saying, but my point was this company has a model of the same car, same body shell, same engine, for every kind of customer. Tomorrow they are going to make 911RS which will have hydraulic steering and 911RS2 with hydraulic steering and no RWS. You see my point? From their perspective, their motto is, "do more with less". I bet their production line between a GT3, GT3RS, GT4, and R all identical. They make the same damn car with a change here and change there and keep the production output so low to keep the demand high so hype never dies. But inside its the same carrera engine in every model with different bore etc.

I wish with all the money Germans made, they would learn from Ford and design a "bespoke" engine just for 1 car, but I'm sure that car would sell for 7 figures...

Yeah, my GT3 looks very sedate compared to the RS. But that is a good thing to a certain degree. The GT3 can easily be driven as a daily driver and not draw too much attention, and this is exactly what you are describing. It has its advantages when you live in a rural area and don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, for lack of a better description. The RS on the other hand, looks like a freak. Although you cannot tell in the pic I posted, the RS is easily recognizable once you see it. Even my 15 year old could see the difference and was salivating all over it at first sight. He is around allot of cars!

The 911R. That is a different animal. I spec'd one out and trying to get one as a long shot through my dealer. MSRP ended up around $212K and was optioned with a/c, lift, nav, leather everywhere, etc. The people that purchase this car are not going to want a stripper - 5% will probably only see the track, if that. So, people are going to want all of the tech amenities with the "nostalgia" of a manual shift car. If a person wants fast lap times, then PDK will destroy nostalgia!

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish with all the money Germans made, they would learn from Ford and design a "bespoke" engine just for 1 car, but I'm sure that car would sell for 7 figures...
The GT3 pretty much fits that bill - GT1 derived LeMans racing engine (Mezger). The 991 I don't know about but i'll bet it's an entirely different build than a Carrera.

OP
OP
mmm635

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
So with the future forthcoming 991.2 GT3... will it come standard w/ the manual and the PDK as an extra cost option or vice-versa? What do you think?
Very good question. Believe it or not, I am headed to Geneva tomorrow to check out the auto show and the debut of the 911R, among other cars. I am going to ask the Porsche reps while I am there about this - we have access behind the ropes so we can have face to face conversations with the reps/engineers. I have a gut feeling they will not and it will only be PDK. The motor was originally designed for PDK and optimum performance is achieved this way. Remember when BMW caught all the heat for the SMG M5, and when they offered it in manual it was not on par.

We hit the Ring about 5 years ago at the Frankfurt show, so we are due for another visit after the auto show. We are hitting the Porsche factory and do the "experience."

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Thanks... please fill me in w/ whatever 991.2 GT3 details or scoop you're able to conjure... I secured an early allocation when they'll receive them even if I won't see it until sometime in 2017. :D

svt93style

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Slow
Awesome, great vid. I shouldn't have watched this before bed!

I loved the "battle" you were in with the black Porsche (not sure the model sorry)
Was really enjoying that until the older 944 kind of was in the way.
On the seat of my pants.

Thanks!

Sponsored

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
Great video. I never thought I would see the day a factory Mustang would play with the big boys on the track.

OP
OP
mmm635

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Great video. I never thought I would see the day a factory Mustang would play with the big boys on the track.
Oh man, it was fun! I love Porsche's, but far from being the typical P-car owner crap you hear on forums. It puts a huge grin on my face to see the GT350 pass up P-cars - my uncle worked at the Windsor plant for 34 years inspecting the V8 blocks, so it makes him proud to see what this car can do. Even the Mustangs on the track were stripped out, caged cars and could not keep up with a stock GT350 - again, I need an R! When you only get passed by a GT3 cup car and a Ferrari challenge you have a car that walks the walk!

OP
OP
mmm635

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I am heading out to Geneva this afternoon to hit the auto show. My brother told me that there is a GT350R that is white with red stripes on display. I have never seen this combo and will definitely get some pics of it and post them up while there.

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
I am heading out to Geneva this afternoon to hit the auto show. My brother told me that there is a GT350R that is white with red stripes on display. I have never seen this combo and will definitely get some pics of it and post them up while there.
Have a great trip. My son and I are headed to Le Mans this summer to watch the new GT in action at the 24 hour race. Car racing is so incredibly competitive these days we don't expect a win... but it is exciting to cheer them on.:first:

OP
OP
mmm635

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Awesome, great vid. I shouldn't have watched this before bed!

I loved the "battle" you were in with the black Porsche (not sure the model sorry)
Was really enjoying that until the older 944 kind of was in the way.
On the seat of my pants.

Thanks!
Thanks!

Have a great trip. My son and I are headed to Le Mans this summer to watch the new GT in action at the 24 hour race. Car racing is so incredibly competitive these days we don't expect a win... but it is exciting to cheer them on.:first:
Thanks. Le Mans will be an awesome experience...your son is gonna dig it! The GT is about to jump into the lion's den!! LOL
Sponsored