Sponsored

If you guys wanna see how the GT350 performs at the track...

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Here is some video I took last weekend at Road Atlanta in the mix with some fast cars. Hopefully, I can find the video form the trailing car (GT3RS) showing the Cup car and Ferrari getting very itchy to pass the Mustang. Man, this car needs more tire.

In fact, I called a local dealer and told him to do what he needs to do in order for an R to appear on my car as a 2017!

Awesome! That's where I spend most of my track time. Would love to hear more details and feedback - brake points, gear choice, etc. Hard to tell exactly how fast you were going, but your drive looked very smooth. A couple of early entries to 7, but that corner (and the setup at 6) is my personal kryptonite. :mad:

Btw, that 944 was a complete douche for not letting you by in 4-5.
Sponsored

ramairgt1

15 GT PP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT PP2
Next time you guys run there let me know, id love to watch! (I live a few miles from RA)

Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
How does the car compare to gt3 or gt3rs? Sheer speed, handling, braking, fun, sound, etc.

OP
OP
mmm635

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
What kind of tires are you running?
Everything on the car is stock. The stock Michelins are the only tires that will fit those wheels that I know of. I will have to get new wheels with cup tires or find slicks that fit the wheels.

Awesome! That's where I spend most of my track time. Would love to hear more details and feedback - brake points, gear choice, etc. Hard to tell exactly how fast you were going, but your drive looked very smooth. A couple of early entries to 7, but that corner (and the setup at 6) is my personal kryptonite. :mad:

Btw, that 944 was a complete douche for not letting you by in 4-5.
Thanks! Yeah, there was a gt3 cup and a Ferrari that were trailing for quite a while until they could pass near the end. They were probably in shock that a lowly gt350 was giving them a good run.

Lots of guys were acting like that (douche's) by not letting faster cars pass by without slowing them down that day. Turn seven: the key is to go in deep to the end of the strip and and change direction to where you can almost shoot out in a straight line. I can do it in the GT3 allot easier due to the rear engine being able to swing out and point the car.

I will fix this. I am going to run a hard line form the front of the car to the rear like my old Gopro setup on my 911 turbo. I clipped an external mic to the rear on the license plate and plugged it into the Gopro. You could hear the exhaust, shifts, turbo spool up, and when the brakes were depressed. This helps allot more when reviewing the video to see what can be done better.

BTW...I had to store my trailer and cars in Alpharetta last week at a friends house off of 400 north. I was probably just down the road from you.

Well done, fantastic driving.
Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mmm635

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Wow!
9:23--did one of them go off track on left?
It was a silver vette. Apparently, he hit the rumble strip too hot into turn one because you can see the yellow Mustang kick up some dirt from that turn.

Next time you guys run there let me know, id love to watch! (I live a few miles from RA)
Will do. The more the merrier! We frequent RA and Barber quite a bit.

How does the car compare to gt3 or gt3rs? Sheer speed, handling, braking, fun, sound, etc.
Sound: The Mustang has most cars beat regardless of price. I love my P-cars, but the Mustang is just so cool and fun to drive.

Speed: It just keeps pulling in the higher revs just like most European cars I drive. The Mustang is very solid (rigidity) which helps the suspension do what it is supposed to do. The GT3's still deliver more torque down low better, but that is due to less weight it has to pull from a standstill.

Handling: excellent for a larger car and the limitations from the tires. Have to see what it can do with better tires in the future to give a better assessment. The car is light on its feet when you get the idea of how large it is out of your head compared to other sports cars.

Braking: Awesome. Best brakes I have used other than P-cars. The Z06 brakes suck compared to these even though they say Brembo. There is more to it than just slapping on big brakes. The car has to be engineered to incorporate the brakes and Ford did a good job tuning it with Magnaride.

Fun: Hell yeah!!! I got rid of the GT4 to keep this car!

Sound: Awesome! One of the best sounding cars out there...regardless of price!

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
You had "Sound" twice! Because yeah it's one of the bestesses of the best sounding cars out there!

What approximate lap times do you predict for the GT350 with you driving and under the current stock tires setup?

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Since we're talking Road Atlanta thought i'd share - this is a video of me being chased down by racing instructor Ian Barton (currently instructs at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta) in his heavily modified Subaru BRZ. (I'm driving the Boss 302 Laguna Seca)

The Great Chase....

[ame]

Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It was a silver vette. Apparently, he hit the rumble strip too hot into turn one because you can see the yellow Mustang kick up some dirt from that turn.

Will do. The more the merrier! We frequent RA and Barber quite a bit.

Sound: The Mustang has most cars beat regardless of price. I love my P-cars, but the Mustang is just so cool and fun to drive.

Speed: It just keeps pulling in the higher revs just like most European cars I drive. The Mustang is very solid (rigidity) which helps the suspension do what it is supposed to do. The GT3's still deliver more torque down low better, but that is due to less weight it has to pull from a standstill.

Handling: excellent for a larger car and the limitations from the tires. Have to see what it can do with better tires in the future to give a better assessment. The car is light on its feet when you get the idea of how large it is out of your head compared to other sports cars.

Braking: Awesome. Best brakes I have used other than P-cars. The Z06 brakes suck compared to these even though they say Brembo. There is more to it than just slapping on big brakes. The car has to be engineered to incorporate the brakes and Ford did a good job tuning it with Magnaride.

Fun: Hell yeah!!! I got rid of the GT4 to keep this car!

Sound: Awesome! One of the best sounding cars out there...regardless of price!
Interesting note regarding the brakes because I thought Z06 brakes had the highest score in MT's review following ACR beating Porsche by a large margin and gt350 scored similar to porsche. If I remember it correctly, 60-0 was 87,91,96,96 for ACR, Z06, GT3, and GT350.

So you are saying handling is on par with GT3? Thats an amazing accomplishment on Ford's part.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
I have PCCB (Carbon Ceramics) a $9,000 option on my Carrera S and my GT350 brakes are far superior.

I don't even understand how that's possible as my 911 weighs only 3,049 lbs - Voodoo magic.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I will agree the stock GT350 brakes are better than the stock non-CC brakes in the Z06, for my experience. The Z06 may be able to fully stop a foot or two sooner but on the track under stressful conditions the GT350 performs better. Fade is pretty much non-existent and brake feel plus linear modulation is consistently reliable. This is a big asset for the GT350 to help overcome its weight & heft.

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Lots of guys were acting like that (douche's) by not letting faster cars pass by without slowing them down that day. Turn seven: the key is to go in deep to the end of the strip and and change direction to where you can almost shoot out in a straight line. I can do it in the GT3 allot easier due to the rear engine being able to swing out and point the car.

I will fix this. I am going to run a hard line form the front of the car to the rear like my old Gopro setup on my 911 turbo. I clipped an external mic to the rear on the license plate and plugged it into the Gopro. You could hear the exhaust, shifts, turbo spool up, and when the brakes were depressed. This helps allot more when reviewing the video to see what can be done better.

BTW...I had to store my trailer and cars in Alpharetta last week at a friends house off of 400 north. I was probably just down the road from you.
You probably were - we are on the east side, between exits 9 and 10 (a few miles from the mall).

My issue with 7 usually had to do with the setup. As you know, there is a very short space between 6 and 7 and invariably between braking, downshifting and steering I would get 2 of the 3 right and make a slight goof on the third. I actually really like the corner, despite its challenges, but that is the best place on the track (followed by 10A/B, IMHO) to have a PDK.

Anyhow, great drive and great video. Who did you run with?

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I will agree the stock GT350 brakes are better than the stock non-CC brakes in the Z06, for my experience. The Z06 may be able to fully stop a foot or two sooner but on the track under stressful conditions the GT350 performs better. Fade is pretty much non-existent and brake feel plus linear modulation is consistently reliable. This is a big asset for the GT350 to help overcome its weight & heft.
I think whats also a big deal and a big advantage for gt350 (vs CCB Z07 brakes) is one is steel and wont cost 10k every time you need a new set. Thats amazing.
Sponsored