How do you not break your MT82?

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Wet noodle indeed. Watch how easily this guy breaks his 3/4 shift fork. To get right to thr meat of thr video, forward to 7:30 and watch from there.

What a douchebag :giggle:
Sponsored

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
The weakness of the MT82 is the stock clutch. Otherwise just shift fast but gently. Even when my stock clutch went out my trans was fine.

The D4 mt82 in 2018+ mustangs has issues with shifter forks breaking, but 15-17 is solid.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
The weakness of the MT82 is the stock clutch. Otherwise just shift fast but gently. Even when my stock clutch went out my trans was fine.

The D4 mt82 in 2018+ mustangs has issues with shifter forks breaking, but 15-17 is solid.
Mantic for the win.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
2011-2017 MT82 steel shift forks, which are welded in key spots to help strengthen them.

1691026603601.jpeg

2018+ cast aluminum shift forks. The only upgrade here is to swap out the 1/2 & 3/4 forks for billet ones.

1691026883575.jpeg

With billet forks installed. Note: Reverse, and 5/6 cast aluminum forks were reused, although the plastic shift pads on the reverse forks were replaced with bronze shift pads.

1691027063552.jpeg

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
From the factory ?
The weld enhancements are made post factory. If you ever have to open yours up, I’d recommend doing it. Welded forks, bronze shift fork pads, plus already badass gearing will make a killer combo.

Fishels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium performance package.
As someone who just got their fist Manual (2015 GT) the shifting has been fairly good to me so far. Thankfully the previous owner put a Barton Short throw in it and I feel that got me used to the car much easier.

That being said do any of you ever get locked out of first gear? it’s only happened to me twice so far and it was when I was stopping at a stoplight. I usually put it in neutral approaching stoplight and man it’s like I had to force the car to go from neutral to first. And that was at a dead stop both times.

Maybe I did something wrong or lack of skill on my end but it was very weird feeling when it happened.

I also feel my transmission has never particularly liked going into second gear. It does it, it just feels kind of weird and forced sometimes. I don’t power shift and I shift like a grandma so hopefully this thing will hold up.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The MT-82 doesn’t like to be beaten on IMO, the smoother you are (not slow, smooth) the better. If you slam the piss out of it it doesn’t react well and is slower. If you’re smooth and fast the transmission works fine. If you shift like a caveman with a club it’s slower, clunky, doesn’t always go into gear, then you can have problems with it.

I put a short throw shifter and transmission brace bushing from Steeda, they both helped. I’ve heard a weighted shift knob helps to smoothen it out too but I don’t have one so I can’t say for sure.
Weighted shift knob helps 100%. You will be amazed. 600 to 700 gms will blow you away.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The first thing I added to my 17 with a MT 82 was a blowfish racing shifter support bracket. The bracket mounts the shifter to the trans to stop the misalignment during heavy throttle shifting and basically eliminates about 90% of the root causes of trans failures. The blowfish bracket is no longer made, but you can buy an aftermarket shifter that integrates a similar bracket into their shifter.

I've made several 7K rpm powershifts and never had a problem with mine, six years and the trans and clutch is still stock and never been out of the car.
You can still find them 'new' (not the slightly different / new one that's now offered on ebay) if you look and are patient.

I picked this one up off this board for a reasonable price (even including the shipping to the UK) quite recently :

1691049782546.jpeg

Even an old second hand one from a salty state would be a good buy. A blast, fresh powder and a new bolt set would have it looking like new :like:

Weighted shift knob helps 100%. You will be amazed. 600 to 700 gms will blow you away.
I've never experienced one but I have often wondered, does the addiotnal weight not just mask (and ultimately accelerate) any problem with the box and / or user operation ?

WD :like:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
2011-2017 MT82 steel shift forks, which are welded in key spots to help strengthen them.

1691026603601.jpeg

2018+ cast aluminum shift forks. The only upgrade here is to swap out the 1/2 & 3/4 forks for billet ones.

1691026883575.jpeg

With billet forks installed. Note: Reverse, and 5/6 cast aluminum forks were reused, although the plastic shift pads on the reverse forks were replaced with bronze shift pads.

1691027063552.jpeg
I'm wondering if your car has a 2018 production unit. The cast aluminum forks were a cost saving for the early revisions of the D4 trans, but they went back to steel forks at some point in 2019.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I'm wondering if your car has a 2018 production unit. The cast aluminum forks were a cost saving for the early revisions of the D4 trans, but they went back to steel forks at some point in 2019.
Not sure. I thought I had read that somewhere too, but haven’t heard of anyone else with a 2019+ that can confirm that.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@ice445 I just did a quick search and found this pic of a broken 2018 GT shift fork on another site. It appears that the new and improved fork is still cast aluminum, but has been strengthened by adding more material as indicated by the arrows in these pics.

New revised fork

1691062997425.jpeg

Old fork

1691063118573.jpeg

While this is an improvement over the original 2018+ fork, I still think enhanced welding of 2011-2017 steel forks would be stronger.

I hated that I had to reuse the reverse and 5/6 cast aluminum forks in my rebuild. I will never speed shift into 5th gear knowing this.

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
As someone who just got their fist Manual (2015 GT) the shifting has been fairly good to me so far. Thankfully the previous owner put a Barton Short throw in it and I feel that got me used to the car much easier.

That being said do any of you ever get locked out of first gear? it’s only happened to me twice so far and it was when I was stopping at a stoplight. I usually put it in neutral approaching stoplight and man it’s like I had to force the car to go from neutral to first. And that was at a dead stop both times.

Maybe I did something wrong or lack of skill on my end but it was very weird feeling when it happened.

I also feel my transmission has never particularly liked going into second gear. It does it, it just feels kind of weird and forced sometimes. I don’t power shift and I shift like a grandma so hopefully this thing will hold up.
Sometimes shifting into 1st and 1st->2nd can be kind of notchy but never locked out. 1-2 seems to get better when warmed up. 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 are like butter even when madman shifting

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
I read a lot about the MT82 taking a shit, but how does this actually happen? I don't ever nls but sometimes I do do aggressive 1-2 2-3 pulls where I'm slamming the clutch and shifter. In daily driving I just granny shift at like 4k

I plan to get an MGW shifter in the future if that'll do anything to help
I run my car at the track. Shift hard and drive it like it's meant to be driven. Have a 21 gtpp. I have replaced the shifter knob to a hurst. Since i have done that i have not had one missed shift under hard acceleration. I've also had a gen 1 and gen 2 mt-82 and other then lockout from 2-3 sometimes no main issues with them as well
Sponsored