GT500 Carbon Fiber Condenser Clips

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So,

I have recently replaced my AC condenser because it was getting a little ragged with fins bent and overall road debris damage. I figured I'd replace it before it becomes a problem down the road.

So when I was removing the condenser, I noticed that one of the clips was broken. A closer look at it revealed that it was the same material that our brake housing bracket was constructed of just before the mass recall. (PA66GF30).

Below is the part of the clip that was on the car. The other half was missing.
20240110_142544 (2).jpg

To give a better orientation of where these clips are, refer to the below diagram.

condenser clips.jpg

So, I figured no problem..... I'll just stop on into my dealership and order a small bag of them for when this happens again. Well, not so fast..... I was informed that the clips are not for sale by themselves. If I wanted one, I would have to buy a new radiator because it is sold as an assembly. I figured this had to be some kind of mistake, so I reached out to one of our forum parts experts. I was informed that was indeed the case. You can't buy the clips by themselves.

I posted this dilemma here and I got all kind of half ass fix recommendations like rubber bands, wrap it in steel, whatever. That wasn't going to happen. This is a GT500, CFTP for that matter. No rubber bands, no half ass fixes, period.

So thought to myself I would simply take out the 3D scanner and do a quick scan and print it with my Prusa MK-4 3D printer.
3D scanner.jpg

MK4.jpg

Nope. The condenser clip was not able to be easily scanned, even after spraying it with scanner spray. So I decided to go old school on this one. I have a background in working with composites. I finally realized instead of going through a lot of CAD Kung Fu Hayaka in trying to take an incomplete 3D scan and manually turning it into a solid file that a printer can work with, I simply fell back on the old tried and true method of casting a silicone prototype mold.

20240130_105450.jpg

It started with a form, the part, and a backing. I used silicone to create a seal between the backing and the form so the silicone wouldn't leak out.

20240130_105724.jpg

Then I let the silicone set for a few hours. I then mixed the silicone by weight.

20240130_115026.jpg

I prepped the form, backing, and part with mold wax to prevent it from sticking to the silicone when it cured.

20240130_113505.jpg

Once the silicone was weighed and mixed, I poured it into the form to create a mold.

20240130_121033.jpg

I let it cure overnight and began to separate the part from the newly formed mold. I took my time and it came out perfect.

20240130_153031.jpg

20240130_152952.jpg

20240130_152841.jpg

20240130_162550.jpg

I then took the same mold wax and coated the inside of the new silicone mold. I chopped a small batch of carbon fiber and had that ready to be added to the mold after the epoxy was mixed.

20240130_111157.jpg

20240130_112819.jpg

I mixed the resin, added a black tint, mixed again, and poured a small amount into the mold. I then added carbon fiber, pushing it all the way down while allowing it to saturate into the epoxy. I poured more resin, then more carbon fiber and repeated until the mold was full with saturated carbon fiber.

I topped the mold off with another boundary layer to provide a uniform cured top end of the new part. I placed it over a gentle heat (my coffee maker) overnight until it was fully cured the next day.

20240131_184411.jpg

20240131_165621.jpg

I don't have a video or photo of me prying the new part out of the silicone mold, but I think you get the idea. Below is the new part next to the old part. The new part that I created is superior. It is made from a heat resistant epoxy that is reinforced with aviation grade carbon fiber. If this happens again, I have the mold and can readily create a new part on short notice.

20240201_174727.jpg

So much for rubber bands and bent tabs of scrap steel..........

Anyone with a CFTP that needs one of these, let me know.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Looks great Tom. Good idea using the silicon mold for a difficult to scan part!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's nice that the clips are removable, on the GT PP and 350 rad, the clips that hold the condenser are part of the end tank of the rad so you're kinda screwed if you break one.

Some damn nice work on recreating that though.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
The new part that I created is superior.
What an amazing job, Tom, very impressive.

I also enjoyed "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Your Song". <smile> But dude, a Bunn coffee maker? Blasphemy to those who actually enjoy coffee. <BSEG>

I doubt I will ever need the bracket but I know where to find one and good on ya for offering your services to other members. Well done.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
What an amazing job, Tom, very impressive.

I also enjoyed "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Your Song". <smile> But dude, a Bunn coffee maker? Blasphemy to those who actually enjoy coffee. <BSEG>

I doubt I will ever need the bracket but I know where to find one and good on ya for offering your services to other members. Well done.
OK buddy, spill the beans on how the Bunn coffee maker is blasphemy? Up here in the North East that's what's used the most, especially at Dunkin'. Enquiring minds wanna know. I ask because I wanna know if I am doing it wrong.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
OK buddy, spill the beans on how the Bunn coffee maker is blasphemy? Up here in the North East that's what's used the most, especially at Dunkin'. Enquiring minds wanna know. I ask because I wanna know if I am doing it wrong.
I'll throw my 2 cents in. The reason for the Bunn is that it is 100% stainless steel. The water never touches plastic. Hot water and plastic are not good. The heat from the water leaches bad chemicals into the water. Although I agree with KB about the coffee maker not being a connoisseur's first choice, I don't want the added cancer-causing chemicals in my coffee. I searched high and low and there is no other coffee maker that is not made of or with plastics in the water processing and delivery system. I do recall reaching out to KB before I purchased the Bunn, and there was no other alternative.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
OK buddy, spill the beans on how the Bunn coffee maker is blasphemy?
<smiling>

First off, I was just ribbing Tom, Jaime. That said..

For sure the most important part of brewing coffee is the bean roasting, and I would say the next most important would be water quality. If you start with those two things in the Bunn, it will make pretty good joe.

I'm a medium roast kinda guy and my personal preference for brewing method is a pour over because I can control the exact temperature (with the right kettle heater,) and theamount of water throughout the brewing process, a little at a time.

Now, if we were using the same beans, grinder, and water, it would probably be very difficult to determine which cup was the Bunn. But, if you use $5/lb coffee from the grocery store along with hard water, the result will be predictably bad.

Here's what a pour over rig looks like, Jaime. And yes, Tom, the filter holder IS plastic.

1707217450263.png

The reason for the Bunn is that it is 100% stainless steel.
Well, I would never have guessed that the potential for leaching chemicals was the reason you bought the Bunn, Tom, the SS I get. I also don't think every plastic molecule leaches but I don't know for sure.

Do you or your wife use plastic utensils when cooking? (probably not) How about plastic bowls for the frig? My wife has numerous items in both categories and we regularly put hot leftovers in the plastic bowls. How about plastic silverware and plates when eating hot food? <smile>

At my age, I figure I've consumed the vast majority of leached chemicals and I'm not worried about future exposure from my coffee pot for whatever time I have left on the planet. <grin>

At least you two aren't tea drinkers. <chuckling>

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
At least you two aren't tea drinkers. <chuckling>
And what's wrong with us tea drinkers ... ??? :giggle:

1707222570784.png

It's a reasonably common topic of mine in the food thread, you can't be a brit (or visit our island) without sampling the occasional afternoon tea ... :like: (see, I'm trying to drag @Tomster in to gang up on you now lol)

I can't be that posh all the time though, 'Jam & Toast Yorkshire Tea' when I'm in the office, and there is a pint and a third in there when it's done :

1707222792741.png

You need to try it sometime, its especially good with our wonderfully soft northern water 😜

WD :like:

Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Great information @Tomster Sorry the 3D printer did not work.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Great information @Tomster Sorry the 3D printer did not work.
The printer works fine. The step from incomplete scan to a solid object in CAD was too much. The mold was easy.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
And what's wrong with us tea drinkers ... ???
<big smile> I KNEW you would get on me for that statement, WD! <still chuckling>

Nothing wrong with drinking tea if you're a citizen of Jolly Old England but as you know, it's not a big thing for men over this way.

On a more serious note, I hope King Charles beats this latest medical issue. I mean the poor man had to wait until he was over seventy to take the throne, at least give him a decent amount of time to enjoy it and play the part.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
<big smile>
On a more serious note, I hope King Charles beats this latest medical issue. I mean the poor man had to wait until he was over seventy to take the throne, at least give him a decent amount of time to enjoy it and play the part.
1707344437182.png