Sponsored

GT350/R Mustang Performance Numbers (0-60 and 1/4 mile) from MT

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This is true. The GT350 has always been a road race/trans am car, not a boulevard bruiser.
Sponsored

mookydo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I understand that fully, but if the 1/4 is the only real performance metric some folks care about, im really not too sure why they are interested in this car. Yes it is nice info to have, but everything else about the GT350 works against 1/4 mile times. That is why every thing ford has released about the car and all the media events were at a race track and not the drag strip. Bottom line FOrd is moving away from the muscle car niche with this car and taking aim at bigger fish

If they wanted to stick to that niche market they would have slapped a factory tweaked trinity into the S550 chassis and called it a day.
gl

We all applaud Ford for their brilliance with this Mustang iteration.

Unfortunately the Mustang is really never going to be on the same plane as Porsche or the Corvette. Ford is going to need an entirely new product with most of all a fresh name if they want to make inroads for the long term in that arena. "Mustang" is iconic and fiercely American but not a favorite with the high end road course dominators.

I love this GT350/R but understand that it is novel offering that will be profoundly overshadowed when the next GT500 bursts forth with well over 700HP. That one steals the show, lock, stock, and barrel when it takes center stage. Mustangs are and will always be about what 99.9% love and that is raw power.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
This is true. The GT350 has always been a road race/trans am car, not a boulevard bruiser.
Like the Boss 302 which had a race version 302R today. IMSA
Like the Shelby GT 350 has a race version GT 350 RC. Today. IMSA
Like the Ford GT has a race version Ford GT to race in the GTLM next year. IMSA.
Look up the cars they race in the IMSA series. Sports cars. Not muscle cars.

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
gl

Unfortunately the Mustang is really never going to be on the same plane as Porsche or the Corvette. Ford is going to need an entirely new product with most of all a fresh name if they want to make inroads for the long term in that arena. "Mustang" is iconic and fiercely American but not a favorite with the high end road course dominators.

I love this GT350/R but understand that it is novel offering that will be profoundly overshadowed when the next GT500 bursts forth with well over 700HP. That one steals the show, lock, stock, and barrel when it takes center stage. Mustangs are and will always be about what 99.9% love and that is raw power.
I respectfully disagree, Muscle cars will always have their place and I bet Ford builds another GT500 to play in that arena.
But the 350 was designed for the those who wish to be at a different level
Road going sports cars, many people from the high end sports car crowd are looking hard at this car. Considering the price point it is not only an impressive car, but for much less money the the cars it is rivalled against.

Maybe because of your drag race back ground, you only see it from your point of view, but look at guys who owned Mustangs, went on to BMW, Audi, etc.
Will seriously consider a Mustang like this. Especially when they can buy this and the family SUV for the same totally money of its nearest competitors :)

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am one who wants to know what the GT350 and GT350R run for 1/4 mile times. Cars intended for just hauling familes around town have been run down the 1/4 mile ever since drag strips were invented. Why should the GT350 not be run down the 1/4 mile ? As far as I know, the GT350 has the electronic line lock option. To limit the GT350 to road courses is just too restrictive. I am sure the GT350 will lay down some respectable 1/4 mile times. When you think about it , road courses are various length dragstrips from corner to corner. So going up through the gears and expecting great acceleration is essential.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
gl

You are entitled to your opinion, but I respectfully disagree.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
All sports cars are tested for Acceleration,braking and Handling 300-ft-dia skidpad or road course . The GT 350 has not been tested in these areas. The true test will be when the hot shoe drivers get their hands on one and do a head to head comparison with other sports cars. Like BMW , Porsche 911, Z/28 and others.
This new Mustang is not the tricked out mustang your buddy drove . That's not to say he won't drive one now.:lol:

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You are entitled to your opinion, but I respectfully disagree.
I agree with you. As one of the lucky few who have driven one (2 hrs, nonetheless), it's nothing like any other Mustang, including the PP GT. I'd take the 350 or 350R over a C7 any day. I say this as a huge Motorsports enthusiast, one who has a lot of time spent autocrossing and doing track days, and as one who was not a Mustang fan prior to the S550.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I am one who wants to know what the GT350 and GT350R run for 1/4 mile times. Cars intended for just hauling familes around town have been run down the 1/4 mile ever since drag strips were invented. Why should the GT350 not be run down the 1/4 mile ? As far as I know, the GT350 has the electronic line lock option. To limit the GT350 to road courses is just too restrictive. I am sure the GT350 will lay down some respectable 1/4 mile times. When you think about it , road courses are various length dragstrips from corner to corner. So going up through the gears and expecting great acceleration is essential.

It's the people crying about the 1/4 mile performance shown already as if the car was supposed to do better despite having its performance goals geared towards a different form of motorsports.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
It's the people crying about the 1/4 mile performance shown already as if the car was supposed to do better despite having its performance goals geared towards a different form of motorsports.
Exactly!

When the new version of the Cobra Jet comes out, these same folks will complain that it cannot run around a road course:D

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I am just complaining that it's 2015 and cars don't fly or do 0 to 80 in negative 30 years.

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package ETA Feb (US Port) under MSRP

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
"Mustang" is iconic and fiercely American but not a favorite with the high end road course dominators.
Clearly you haven't spent much time around road courses. Even standard GTs get plenty of respect from bimmer and porsche owners.

I love this GT350/R but understand that it is novel offering that will be profoundly overshadowed when the next GT500 bursts forth with well over 700HP. That one steals the show, lock, stock, and barrel when it takes center stage.
It will be overshadowed among your demographic only. True sports car people wouldn't want to be caught dead anywhere near a supercharged heatsoaking pig.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
All sports cars are tested for Acceleration,braking and Handling 300-ft-dia skidpad or road course . The GT 350 has not been tested in these areas. The true test will be when the hot shoe drivers get their hands on one and do a head to head comparison with other sports cars. Like BMW , Porsche 911, Z/28 and others.
This new Mustang is not the tricked out mustang your buddy drove . That's not to say he won't drive one now.:lol:
Not all magazines use a 300 foot diameter standard. They usually indicte that in the specs.