Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Now that my car is out of winter storage, I went to the dealership and had the recall done. The mechanic left the FP tune on and everything worked fine. No need to return to stock for the recall.
Hmm thanks for the info. I am taking my car in a couple weeks and finally getting this recall done. The dealership and I are prepared to take the tune off to apply update and then re-install tune, maybe I will mention this to them.
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Welp, final update. Tried the tune again chasing why the fuel monitor never sets (still no luck on that, only thing I can think of is that it needs a lot of drive cycles after a flash or something), and its still basically the same as it was before in the knock department. I did an extensive log today, and the noise I can hear sometimes is definitely ping, since it directly corresponds with knock retard going positive as soon as I get into the throttle at all. Case closed on that. Gets worse with higher engine temperatures just like before. In high gear accelerations on the highway I saw it go as high as +6.48 which is just not acceptable to me.

Stock tune may be dog water in comparison but at least the knock retard is basically always negative and it never pings on the same fuel, even at the same engine temps....

To all of those who are enjoying the kit, continue to do so. The torque gains are definitely nice, as is the improved shifting. But if your car rejects the kit like mine, there are too many disadvantages overlaid on top to make it worthwhile sadly.
Thanks for trying again. It's really unfortunate that it pings bad on our cars. This makes me wonder how Ford is able to produce the Bullitt and Mach1 which is basically the same tune AFAIK. What does Ford Performance do that's different? I never hear of anyone complaining about ping on a Bullitt or Mach1.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks for trying again. It's really unfortunate that it pings bad on our cars. This makes me wonder how Ford is able to produce the Bullitt and Mach1 which is basically the same tune AFAIK. What does Ford Performance do that's different? I never hear of anyone complaining about ping on a Bullitt or Mach1.
As far as I understand it, the Bullitt/Mach 1 tune is closer to stock than the FP tune. They're rated for 87 octane so they make the same peak torque as a generic GT. They achieve the extra 20 peak horsepower using the combo of the gt350 intake, throttle body, and intake manifold.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
As far as I understand it, the Bullitt/Mach 1 tune is closer to stock than the FP tune. They're rated for 87 octane so they make the same peak torque as a generic GT. They achieve the extra 20 peak horsepower using the combo of the gt350 intake, throttle body, and intake manifold.
Ah thanks for explaining. That makes sense.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Still have no issues with my calibration and the quirks I had with the A10 before the kit never returned and shifting is much improved. Power and MPG has also improved vs stock.

However I brought the ProCal 4 out to my laptop and decided to update it via the ProCal software which said it was outdated and started updating the software + the unit and then I did login my Ford Performance Account (with my original voucher code), it started updating and came up with a warning now saying that the calibration is not legal in California? and somehow downloaded some calibration update, I recall the calibration has not changed since initial release? but was concerned about this new attestation of not legal to use in California pop up if I wanted to connect my Ford Performance account with it, my ProCal 4 still shows the stock and calibration bin files. I recall this was 50 State Carb Legal. The ProCal has not been connected to the car since original kit install in 2021. Anyone have this pop up via the procal software?

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Still have no issues with my calibration and the quirks I had with the A10 before the kit never returned and shifting is much improved. Power and MPG has also improved vs stock.

However I brought the ProCal 4 out to my laptop and decided to update it via the ProCal software which said it was outdated and started updating the software + the unit and then I did login my Ford Performance Account (with my original voucher code), it started updating and came up with a warning now saying that the calibration is not legal in California? and somehow downloaded some calibration update, I recall the calibration has not changed since initial release? but was concerned about this new attestation of not legal to use in California pop up if I wanted to connect my Ford Performance account with it, my ProCal 4 still shows the stock and calibration bin files. I recall this was 50 State Carb Legal. The ProCal has not been connected to the car since original kit install in 2021. Anyone have this pop up via the procal software?
Yeah, I got the same message when I updated mine last. As far as I can tell the actual tune file doesn't change (as that would require a new CARB cert), so it's most likely just an error related to the update. Some of their tunes are only 49 state legal, so it may be displaying that message simply because it doesn't recognize the correct vehicle.

As far as I know the update only pertained to the Procal additional functions like tire/gear size. Presumably something to do with the BCM recall, but I couldn't get far enough to find out what exactly was changed. I can confirm that function still works post recall though (I only tested after updating the Procal). It also works on the stock tune too.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I got the same message when I updated mine last. As far as I can tell the actual tune file doesn't change (as that would require a new CARB cert), so it's most likely just an error related to the update. Some of their tunes are only 49 state legal, so it may be displaying that message simply because it doesn't recognize the correct vehicle.

As far as I know the update only pertained to the Procal additional functions like tire/gear size. Presumably something to do with the BCM recall, but I couldn't get far enough to find out what exactly was changed. I can confirm that function still works post recall though (I only tested after updating the Procal). It also works on the stock tune too.
If I ever wanted to change tire size, I would have to flash back to stock then change tire size then back to the tune? or can that be changed on the fly?

I have a 2019 so I have not had any recalls to date for my VIN

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
Mustangpursuit
I went from 18 in tires to 19s all i did was to find out the RPM of the new tires and sizes then enter it into the pro-cal and upload it mine work fine

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I tried to get this update done last weekend and was told the Ford software server that gives the update was erroring out. So no updates for me again. I was ready to have the recall letters stop.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Every new post here just depresses me as I am reminded how good the tune is for most people. Then anger sets in as I look at the kit on my shelf and all that wasted money. Part of me is still hoping for the holy grail post that has a fix for the ping.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If I ever wanted to change tire size, I would have to flash back to stock then change tire size then back to the tune? or can that be changed on the fly?

I have a 2019 so I have not had any recalls to date for my VIN
It can be changed on the fly regardless of which tune you're on.

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Every new post here just depresses me as I am reminded how good the tune is for most people. Then anger sets in as I look at the kit on my shelf and all that wasted money. Part of me is still hoping for the holy grail post that has a fix for the ping.
Ugh, I bet. I would be very upset if it were me.

You could try an aftermarket tune and see if the tuner can find the issue. It sounds like Ford/Ford Performance isn't going to help.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Same buddy, same lol. If you think you feel bad, just know I spent the money on the GT500 airbox conversion before giving up. Never even got to try it 😂

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Same buddy, same lol. If you think you feel bad, just know I spent the money on the GT500 airbox conversion before giving up. Never even got to try it 😂
Just interested - what’s the advantage of a GT500 air box conversion on the GT ? Is there a thread or article I can read about it ? :like:

Cheers,

WD :like:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I’m in with WD re: the benefits of the GT500 airbox on our cars (besides the fact they look better). I would think you’d need the full intake tube, larger TB, etc. to get the benefit (it does have the larger cone filter, just covered, so I assume it’s gulping more air from the outside).
Sponsored