5.0 Exhaust change - Too loud

ztdoyle14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2017
My exhaust set up is way too loud for me now and I am looking to get it quieter. I wanted to see if anyone had good opinions or ideas for the change.

Right now I have BBK long tube headers-> off road connection pipes -> X pipes -> Roush axle back exhaust.

I want to get my cats back on but most likely change my mid pipes as well. Please let me know if you have suggestions.
Sponsored

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Those headers are your issue. Maybe go with some touring exhaust to tone it down.

I have the X-force Varex 3-inch cat-back system. Electronic controlled valves go from stock to loud. Not header loud, but loud enough and everyone likes them. Might be worth looking at some valved options to custom the sound when you want.

Wolfys11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakub
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Gt
The catless headers are what makes it loud. I had the same issue when i had armytrix catback paired with headers, literally gave me headaches. I like a loud exhaust, so i made a more custom setup, but if you prefer a quieter setup, the headers can stay stock, use catted o2 sensor extensions if you want to pass inspections, and get a borla touring catback. Its very tame with big mufflers and a big resonated h pipe. I thought it was too quiet for my liking so i changed my resonated h pipe for a non resonated x pipe, now its perfect for me but borla touring will do you wonders for quieting down the headers! If you in the future want a little more loud, but not crazy loud you can consider swapping to a borla regular xpipe and it will be loud but not crazy loud

i have tried welding in resonators and stuff, its not enough, the main mufflers have to be changed ultimately, which your roush ones are considered a ā€œloudā€ axleback which you have to switch to a ā€œquietā€ one or mid volume

OP
OP

ztdoyle14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2017
The catless headers are what makes it loud. I had the same issue when i had armytrix catback paired with headers, literally gave me headaches. I like a loud exhaust, so i made a more custom setup, but if you prefer a quieter setup, the headers can stay stock, use catted o2 sensor extensions if you want to pass inspections, and get a borla touring catback. Its very tame with big mufflers and a big resonated h pipe. I thought it was too quiet for my liking so i changed my resonated h pipe for a non resonated x pipe, now its perfect for me but borla touring will do you wonders for quieting down the headers! If you in the future want a little more loud, but not crazy loud you can consider swapping to a borla regular xpipe and it will be loud but not crazy loud

i have tried welding in resonators and stuff, its not enough, the main mufflers have to be changed ultimately, which your roush ones are considered a ā€œloudā€ axleback which you have to switch to a ā€œquietā€ one or mid volume
Yup I definitely need to get my cats back on. I think I will try out the touring axlebacks and put on the catted o2 sensor estensions. I like loud but my neighbors dont and wanted it to pass inspections as well. Thanks!

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Iā€™d add active exhaust plus a mid pipe with resonators. You can build your own like I did or buy one premade with resonators. Active exhaust is my favorite part of my car. Can be dead quiet or super loud with the flip of a switch.

Hereā€™s me in track mode (valves fully open) + ford racing x pipe + 12ā€ vibrant resonators:

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I would throw active exhaust, maybe resonator if you want to tone it done more. Active exhaust is sooo worth it.

slime_bullet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just went through this and pretty had the same setup but I had an h pipe. My remedy and it sounds amazing.
Ditch the roush axle backs. They are great for a stock setup but not with the headers and resonator delete. I picked up a set of used Ford performance sport axle backs for $150. Welded 2 aeroexhaust resonators with the hpipe.
No rasp, no reverb, no more obnoxious loudness. Its almost like having an auto active exhaust.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just went through this and pretty had the same setup but I had an h pipe. My remedy and it sounds amazing.
Ditch the roush axle backs. They are great for a stock setup but not with the headers and resonator delete. I picked up a set of used Ford performance sport axle backs for $150. Welded 2 aeroexhaust resonators with the hpipe.
No rasp, no reverb, no more obnoxious loudness. Its almost like having an auto active exhaust.
Any video of how it sounds?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I guess I have to ask why you added the headers? The stock one flows dang well and headers don't really gain much power unless you are making other mods. To get quieter, get rid of the headers, add cats (of your choice) and keep the x-pipe and Roush axle backs and still sound much louder than stock but not crazy loud.

GregR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Following, My new to me 2019 GT Premium is extremely loud. I loved it during the two test drives, I can see where it's going to get monotonous and annoying pretty quick though.

Kooks long tube headers and Borla Atak cat-back.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
1715141115531-tz.jpg
LT headers on ANY vehicle is going to increase the volume and sound of the exhaust at idle, as well as cruising and WOTā€¦

Sell the LTā€™s if you donā€™t want to sound like a NASCAR ā€¦. and run VW Beetle 1/2ā€ exhaust all the way backā€¦. šŸ˜‚

slime_bullet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
1715141115531-tz.jpg
LT headers on ANY vehicle is going to increase the volume and sound of the exhaust at idle, as well as cruising and WOTā€¦

Sell the LTā€™s if you donā€™t want to sound like a NASCAR ā€¦. and run VW Beetle 1/2ā€ exhaust all the way backā€¦. šŸ˜‚
I have catless lt's and resonator delete and not even close to Nascar loud. It was with the roush axle backs. I even put the stock mufflers on to try and it was disturbingly quiet. The muffler makes all the difference. But nobody wants to swap mufflers after forking out all that money for the ones they have.
Sponsored