MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hahaha, OK, per [MENTION=9866]1320'[/MENTION] , how about 100lbs on a track model, ~50 for the general platform?
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah to clarify, I meant 150lbs for a specific track flavor, I'm thinking we will see weight loss across the entire platform, ~100lbs.

I realize that's not trivial (I've done a number of "weight loss" projects, I'm always surprised at how tricky it is, if you don't sacrifice anything), and I guess it really depends on how significant a potential S550.5 revision is, and it's value to Ford (since sales have been outstanding).
To get weight loss across the entire line in a refresh; ford would have to change out steel areas with aluminum.
Typical refreshes are updated bumpers and interiors.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Track packages more often than not add a significant amount of weight due to the heavy duty nature of the necessary components.

In the history of Mustang refreshes I haven't seen Ford spend the R&D to drop any significant weight. IMO Ford is spending that R&D money on the S650.

Changes we can expect for the '18MY will be feature-oriented plus the updated automatic transmission. They might have a track package but it will be an enhanced Performance Package with bigger wheels and added coolers, all of which would add weight.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Probably true, and they've sort of blown their wad on the GT350 in terms of "track engineer" for a lighter weight vehicle.

Less a viable engineering/business model, more of my own "wish list" :D

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Just going off memory:

'12 -> 13' was exterior changes with a new instrument cluster and added Track Package(which was the Brembo package plus the Torsen diff and a bigger radiator)

'09 -> 10' exterior and interior changes, Track Package with a FR suspension(and rear gears?)....'11MY got the Coyote

'98 -> '99 New edge exterior, don't remember what else happened here.

Anyone else can add to this.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Probably true, and they've sort of blown their wad on the GT350 in terms of "track engineer" for a lighter weight vehicle.

Less a viable engineering/business model, more of my own "wish list" :D

Thankfully the aftermarket is there to help. Dropping 80-100lbs is as easy as a catback and a decent set of forged wheels. Maybe a driveshaft too.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Just going off memory:

'12 -> 13' was exterior changes with a new instrument cluster and added Track Package(which was the Brembo package plus the Torsen diff and a bigger radiator)

'09 -> 10' exterior and interior changes, Track Package with a FR suspension(and rear gears?)....'11MY got the Coyote

'98 -> '99 New edge exterior, don't remember what else happened here.

Anyone else can add to this.

98>>>99 Got the PI heads and intake, resulting in a power bump up to 260/300.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I think all the planned improvements and options for the rest of the S550 development life is set, as [MENTION=7311]Grimace427[/MENTION] indicated with the comment that the majority of Ford's R&D is going to the S650 which is supposed to debut in 2020, so we should start seeing something physical in about 3 years time.

At best a track model would see "fluff" deleted to offset heavier and more rugged components..

If any "general" lightweighting is done..it won't be more than 50lbs, track pack or no.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
The 1LE is a great performance bargain, and yeah it's the same type of package that the PP is for the GT. However, a SS 1LE this time is $44,000..over $7,000 more than a base GTPP.

If Ford were to take The FRPP "Track Suspension", the GT Power Pack 2, GT350 sized wheels and tires, the PP brakes and a revised shifter like the Barton or Steeda TriAx..they could call it a "Track Pack" for about $39,000 and have a *very* capable track GT. Would it topple a 1LE? probably not..but it would dramatically close the delta between the two.
You think they could add all that for only $2000 more then a GTPP?:shrug: they also need to get rid of those single pot rear brakes.:headbonk: those rear brakes don't belong on any performance car, never mind one with a v8.

Also, don't forget Recaros and active exhaust for the GT, that would be a sweet package.:thumbsup:

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
You think they could add all that for only $2000 more then a GTPP?:shrug: they also need to get rid of those single pot rear brakes.:headbonk: those rear brakes don't belong on any performance car, never mind one with a v8.

Also, don't forget Recaros and active exhaust for the GT, that would be a sweet package.:thumbsup:
You have to figure the replaced parts in. It's not all that on top of a GTPP, you take the cost of the new parts and subtract the cost of the old parts.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
You need to honestly think about what just happened. The same MotorTrend that missed a z28 that Dyno'd 469RWHP?

They just tried to tell the public, that a car that puts less than 400hp to a set of Goodyears just out paced a 505hp z28 in world class R Rubber and an M4 GTS...

Do you even understand what they are pushing here?

I am sorry bud... If Randy drove a paddle shifted ATS-V TP using better tires, Danes brakes, same weight and better geometry to a 1:39.65... and you believe a 1Le just put seconds on it.... then you will never awake from this dream.

Understand, the Camaro is in trouble... BIG trouble and the media is about the only thing that can save it.

I have no way of convincing you this because this desperately needs to be true. The 1Le cannot beat the ATS-V at Laguna Seca... that is just not possible. It would need a huge weight and equipment advantage and none exist. It is a Full Size car that engineers tuned the hell out of to get a 1:37.6...

Many disillusioned Camaro fans need this to be true...

At this point, it is faster than the C7 Z51 and Grand Sport without the weight loss, tire and brakes.

This is where reality no longer supports MotorTrends findings... because it IS NOT faster than the C7. That's just not so...

A Z51 is a 1:38 second car at Laguna with Randy driving... a 1Le cannot compete with that. That is how desperate the situation and fans have become. Ready to push the Corvette aside to prove an Internet personality wrong.
Hahaha. I love it Pill. Just cannot, will not admit when you're wrong

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Let me guess... It Dyno'd 469rwhp :lol:

It's a sad day when you believe a 455hp 1Le on Goodyears and hand a z28 its ass....

What did the GT350 run? 1:35???

That is not very competitive...
Camaro was 1.6 seconds slower than the R

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Had to go back and search for the pills comments. I forgot all his posts have to be approved by admin before posting haha.