Sponsored

'17 GT350 vs '17 Camaro SS 1LE

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I need [MENTION=6383]thePill[/MENTION]
He needs to give his opinion on this news.
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I need [MENTION=6383]thePill[/MENTION]
He needs to give his opinion on this news.
"ringer"

"can't be done :lol:"

"my sources says the convertible 1le supercharged variant is having problems... structural rigidity is obviously the problem"

"the 1le can't even answer a GTPP, check the list for *insert defunct racing bracket here*"

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Poor side of the tracks lol. Good one. Even though the Camaro costs more :cheers:
And I am a fan of the S550. Have been since it came out. So since I am a S550 fan, this is "my" forum too, even though that sounds super douchey haha.
Thus the reason for the abysmal sales figures; Camaro fans can't afford them. :D

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I am so the wrong person to ask about that. Nostalgia is dumb to me. I don't care what they named it. They could have named it the handling packing, and I would have been fine.
Even Track Pack or Performance Pack rolls off the tongue way better than 1LE IMO. TP or PP sounds like something good when you say it. You can easily brag to a non car guy "I have the PP". They will know just from the meaning of those two words that it's something a car guy would want.

Nostalgia aside, 1LE is a bad name. I bet GM would sell a lot more 1LE-optioned cars if they had a better name for it... oh and if they didn't require that stupid matte black hood. I despise that thing.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I know what a Z71 package meant long before 1LE

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Bringing back the "5.0" was a stroke of genius. That means something to people who were kids in the 80s and 90s. It also turned out to be one fantastic engine (once again)...that's "brand re-use" done right.
Rollin in my 5.0
With my ragtop down so my hair can blow

:lol:

Even Track Pack or Performance Pack rolls off the tongue way better than 1LE IMO.
I have it on good authority it's actually pronounced ONELY ...

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Rollin in my 5.0
With my ragtop down so my hair can blow

:lol:

I have it on good authority it's actually pronounced ONELY ...
ONELY? Now that's bad

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
The 1LE is a great performance bargain, and yeah it's the same type of package that the PP is for the GT. However, a SS 1LE this time is $44,000..over $7,000 more than a base GTPP.

If Ford were to take The FRPP "Track Suspension", the GT Power Pack 2, GT350 sized wheels and tires, the PP brakes and a revised shifter like the Barton or Steeda TriAx..they could call it a "Track Pack" for about $39,000 and have a *very* capable track GT. Would it topple a 1LE? probably not..but it would dramatically close the delta between the two.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base

If Ford were to take The FRPP "Track Suspension", the GT Power Pack 2, GT350 sized wheels and tires, the PP brakes and a revised shifter like the Barton or Steeda TriAx..they could call it a "Track Pack" for about $39,000 and have a *very* capable track GT. Would it topple a 1LE? probably not..but it would dramatically close the delta between the two.
:thumbsup:

I'm tempted to copy and paste this post onto a check for $39k and send it straight to Dearborn.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The 1LE is a great performance bargain, and yeah it's the same type of package that the PP is for the GT. However, a SS 1LE this time is $44,000..over $7,000 more than a base GTPP.

I'm not convinced this _won't_ happen as a MY18 option, for GTs or as a special model (i.e., the Mach I). Coupled with a potential weight reduction for '18, I think it would be extremely competitive.

GT with Recaros, PP brakes, upgraded radiator, electronics, with 465HP, less 150lbs, super sticky tires on lightweight wheels, fully reworked suspension and then just use the GT350 6-speed tranny. *boom*

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I'm not convinced this _won't_ happen as a MY18 option, for GTs or as a special model (i.e., the Mach I). Coupled with a potential weight reduction for '18, I think it would be extremely competitive.

GT with Recaros, PP brakes, upgraded radiator, electronics, with 465HP, less 150lbs, super sticky tires on lightweight wheels, fully reworked suspension and then just use the GT350 6-speed tranny. *boom*
There will be an R Package for the GT.

Ford still needs to be careful with upgrades, both Boss 302 Laguna Seca and GT350's were typically pushed to a higher class. The GT is pretty dominant where they need to be.

the Camaro needs to catch the Mustang and there is really little more they can do.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

Ford would be lucky to shed 150lbs from the next generation Mustang. There is no way a simple refresh will drop much weight at all, let alone that much. If anything a more track-oriented package(something I would really enjoy BTW) would add a significant amount of weight to the car.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Weight loss is a dream for refresh. The Gt350 R dropped about that and had to loose the backseat and get $15k CF rims.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
150 is a stretch..

However, 50lbs is doable (at perhaps a mild price jump).

Aluminum door shells would probably shave around 20lbs off total, aluminum decklid another 5 or so. Change out a few of the non-load bearing structures and such in the suspension to aluminum..

That would bring a base GT down to 3,600lbs or so, and a GTPP down to about 3,655 or thereabouts.

You could get more drastic, like switching both seats to manual...but that would actually reduce the comfort and "refinement" of the base car.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Oh yeah to clarify, I meant 150lbs for a specific track flavor, I'm thinking we will see weight loss across the entire platform, ~100lbs.

I realize that's not trivial (I've done a number of "weight loss" projects, I'm always surprised at how tricky it is, if you don't sacrifice anything), and I guess it really depends on how significant a potential S550.5 revision is, and it's value to Ford (since sales have been outstanding).
Sponsored