Abnormal Camshaft Wear

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Looks to me like the roller on the rocker arm seized up. Significant wear on that roller

cam lobe.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
Looks to me like the roller on the rocker arm seized up. Significant wear on that roller

cam lobe.jpeg
Iā€™m thinking the same, Iā€™ll report back when I dive into it

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Oh, I'm not concerned about his current failure, that is simply a surface finish issue most likely. The rest of the motor of unknown history, tune, maintenance and use is why I wouldn't be running 5-20 in this car. The reason they go to 5-50 is because it causes less issue with the VVT control on track.
Agree in your example, but realize "on track" use is wildly different than a turbo or blower weekend cruiser that sees 10psi boost once or twice a month in cool temperatures..

Sponsored

OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I'm no fan of either, before everyone hops on that bandwagon ask yourself why only 1 rocker out of 32 is affected then?
a second cam lobe in those pics looks rough too

OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
a second cam lobe in those pics looks rough too
Just the glare. Entire cam is getting replaced. All followers and adjusters getting replaced as well. Considering the Ford Performance timing set as well while Iā€™m in there since the car has 61k miles.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The rocker arm retaining clips on these motors come off easy if you rev high. Yours appear to be missing, which isnt bad since they serve no purpose after installation, but may have caused the issue. I had 8 come off mine and had to replace all cams, redo my heads, also had broken piston skirts. My cam cap was broken but IDK if that was from a retaining clip going through, or my prior warranty work done and the dealer re-using torque to yield bolts.

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/reso...995800ce/85affa7c88e67cb485de2523bda8d32c.jpg the clip on the right side is probably the cause of this.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
The rocker arm retaining clips on these motors come off like toys R us security tags in a BLM rally. Yours all appear to be missing, which isnt bad but may have caused the issue. I had 8 come off mine and had to replace all cams, redo my heads, also had broken piston skirts. My cam cap was broken but IDK if that was from a retaining clip going through, or my prior warranty work done and the dealer re-using torque to yield bolts.

Holy f*ck couldā€™ve been a lot worse, glad I caught it when I did.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The rocker arm retaining clips on these motors come off like toys R us security tags. Yours all appear to be missing, which isnt bad but may have caused the issue. I had 8 come off mine and had to replace all cams, redo my heads, also had broken piston skirts. My cam cap was broken but IDK if that was from a retaining clip going through, or my prior warranty work done and the dealer re-using torque to yield bolts.

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/reso...995800ce/85affa7c88e67cb485de2523bda8d32c.jpg the clip on the right side is probably the cause of this.
If you regularly rev to 8000RPM then yeah lol

Racin4ds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ehhh... there is no "black and white" as it relates to which oil to run.

Way too many factors... climate? How hard is the car driven? How often? How many miles per year? How often does the oil get changed? Do you use any additives?

If I lived in a cold climate, rarely drove my car in boost, and changed the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage -- there is NO WAY you could get me to run 5w50. Absolutely not.
Tell me you don't understand oil viscosity and weights without telling me....

a 5W50 is the same viscosity at 0* C as 5W30. The "W" means winter and the first number in a multi-viscosity oil is the winter weight measured at 0* C. Once the oil hits 100*C it then carries the second number viscosity. This is achieved with copolymers and other chemistry that allows the oil to thicken when hot and thin out when cold.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red

a 5W50 is the same viscosity at 0* C as 5W30. The "W" means winter and the first number in a multi-viscosity oil is the winter weight measured at 0* C. Once the oil hits 100*C it then carries the second number viscosity. This is achieved with copolymers and other chemistry that allows the oil to thicken when hot and thin out when cold.
There's no need to be snide. Besides actually being more complicated than your simplified example makes it, you don't run around all winter with an oil temp of 0C so they aren't the same even then.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Thanks for the chemistry lesson -- only to agree with what I posted. lol

Nice job
Sponsored