Sponsored

'17 GT350 vs '17 Camaro SS 1LE

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
This is such a joke comparison. The 1SS is total trash on the interior, completely impractical, and is a GovMoChevy POS.

Comparing it to a GT350 is insulting to the Mustang which had another price increase just in the past week or so...
The camaro isnt that bad. There is definitely worse cars to drive. And im not even a chevy guy in the slightest.

The thing i hate most about the 6th gen isnt the looks or interior even. Its the direct injection and cylinder deactivation
Sponsored

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
This is such a joke comparison. The 1SS is total trash on the interior, completely impractical, and is a GovMoChevy POS.

Comparing it to a GT350 is insulting to the Mustang which had another price increase just in the past week or so...
Hahaha. Woah there. The interior may not be laid out how you want it, but it's kinda silly calling it a POS or trash. We can compare it to the 350, because they're going to produce very similar track times for $12,000 or so less.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
IF the 1LE is equal to the Z, then the 1LE is a fair bit quicker than the 350 non R.
I'm not buying that at all...

The issue isn't just overcoming the z28's tire and track width advantage. The weight between the two is around 80-90lbs so there isn't enough weight to slow a z28 down. The LS7 mated to the Z06's transmission was hard to beat... in fact, Chevy couldn't beat the combo to this very day. The z28 used Carbon Ceramic Brakes and some of THE greatest shocks ever invented.

The z28 had the most extensive research and development than any Camaro to this day. It had a lot of specifically developed equipment designed especially for it to do a single task... and you think Chevy got lucky by mistake? A part from here, a part from there, you put 'em in the middle and you shake 'em in the air?

The commentary is absolutely correct, the 1Le is doing some unbelievable things. Nearly every car on those "Fast" list have R&D performed during the race season, under extreme circumstances and all for the customers benefit. Chevy simply skips this aspect of developing Camaro's. The Corvette lives by the code by the Camaro 1Le is a parts bin model on a parts bin car.

One thing we can take away from this is, thePill said 1:35-1:36 at Laguna... there it is...

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
IF the 1LE is equal to the Z, then the 1LE is a fair bit quicker than the 350 non R.
Honestly I could care less "IF" the 1LE is as fast or faster then the Z28 or GT350. The R is faster then the Z28 but now some lame ass lightning lap test shows the Z faster then the R. Please really?
Randy already proved the R was faster same day. same track.

My point is the Z28 was a rip off no matter how great you think it was at that time. And please don't start how old the gen 5 Camaro chassis was and how old the engine was either. It's wasn't worth 75k then or now.

And I'll stick by my words, the 1LE is "NOT" faster then the GT350.
I don't care if the Camaro beat a viper I still wouldn't like them, it's asshole ugly, has nothing going for it, sales prove camaros arnt going anywhere.

25+ years from now you can ask a car guy about a 2016 GT350 and a Camaro 1LE and he'll look at you like a deer in headlights wondering wtf a 1LE is

The GT350/R is a legend with history and notoriety! Something the Camaro doesn't have.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
This just in...........
If you act now and buy a 2017 Chevrolet Spark, GM will give you, YES FOLKS!!!! Give you a brand new 2017 Chevrolet Camaro!!! This is not a joke or sales pitch!! But you must act now. Don't run! Walk to your nearest Chevrolet dealer! Don't worry, their are plenty of camaros on our lots. Speak to your sales guy today!
If you are the first 127000 customers Chevrolet will even throw in a proper working ignition switch AND a set of west coast mirrors so you can see behind your new Camaro!
image.jpeg

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Hahaha. Woah there. The interior may not be laid out how you want it, but it's kinda silly calling it a POS or trash. We can compare it to the 350, because they're going to produce very similar track times for $12,000 or so less.
I find it funny how you use the 12k less when comparing a 1le to a gt350 but not 12k less when comparing a 1le to a z28. Face it. It's a pos Camaro. I can't believe you are a GM car salesman. If you wanted to be a good salesman you should of went to work at a ford dealership. You know, where they sell mustangs.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Honestly I could care less "IF" the 1LE is as fast or faster then the Z28 or GT350. The R is faster then the Z28 but now some lame ass lightning lap test shows the Z faster then the R. Please really?
Randy already proved the R was faster same day. same track.

My point is the Z28 was a rip off no matter how great you think it was at that time. And please don't start how old the gen 5 Camaro chassis was and how old the engine was either. It's wasn't worth 75k then or now.

And I'll stick by my words, the 1LE is "NOT" faster then the GT350.
I don't care if the Camaro beat a viper I still wouldn't like them, it's asshole ugly, has nothing going for it, sales prove camaros arnt going anywhere.

25+ years from now you can ask a car guy about a 2016 GT350 and a Camaro 1LE and he'll look at you like a deer in headlights wondering wtf a 1LE is

The GT350/R is a legend with history and notoriety! Something the Camaro doesn't have.
Oh I think you care very much if the 1LE is faster.. Maybe even lose some sleep over it. I will agree with you about the 350 being a legend. A very cheap FPC and very capable car.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I find it funny how you use the 12k less when comparing a 1le to a gt350 but not 12k less when comparing a 1le to a z28. Face it. It's a pos Camaro. I can't believe you are a GM car salesman. If you wanted to be a good salesman you should of went to work at a ford dealership. You know, where they sell mustangs.
The 1LE is a much better deal than the Z, and *to me* a better deal than the 350. I work at a Chevy Dealership yes. I am passionate about my Chevy products. But working for Ford, or any brand, doesn't make you a good salesman. I sell enough Camaros to put the food on my table ;)

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
2016 Car & Driver VIR Lightning Lap videos.....enjoy!!!

1LE V6

1LE SS

GT350R

C7 Grand Sport

ACR
Wow, the ACR put the smack down. Badass car!

The GT350R, non R is still badass but I can't afford either so I can only dream.

I can however save and get a GTPP.. so I'm very interested in that! I just want to know how it fairs against it's main competitor, the SS!

I'm wondering, if I can throw sticker tires on the PP will it hang close to a base 1SS (Lightest V8 Camaro) at a road course?! The SS 1LE doesn't impress me too much.. add the sticky tires on the 1SS with perhaps rear/front sway bars, lowering springs and it will handle just as well. Also, the 100 lbs weight over a 1SS is no good. Must be some heavy ass Recaros!! haha

Straight line, I can always add Ford's Power Pack 3 and keep up with an SS on the straights.. Just want to know if it can keep close on the tracks since the Alpha chassis is pretty damn good.

Ford still have greater aftermarket support and with 3-5k in mods, it MAY beat the SS at the drags and on the course!

Ford FTW!

Memphis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Wow, the ACR put the smack down. Badass car!

The GT350R, non R is still badass but I can't afford either so I can only dream.

I can however save and get a GTPP.. so I'm very interested in that! I just want to know how it fairs against it's main competitor, the SS!

I'm wondering, if I can throw sticker tires on the PP will it hang close to a base 1SS (Lightest V8 Camaro) at a road course?! The SS 1LE doesn't impress me too much.. add the sticky tires on the 1SS with perhaps rear/front sway bars, lowering springs and it will handle just as well. Also, the 100 lbs weight over a 1SS is no good. Must be some heavy ass Recaros!! haha

Straight line, I can always add Ford's Power Pack 3 and keep up with an SS on the straights.. Just want to know if it can keep close on the tracks since the Alpha chassis is pretty damn good.

Ford still have greater aftermarket support and with 3-5k in mods, it MAY beat the SS at the drags and on the course!

Ford FTW!
Do you plan on racing competitively? If so, you are out of luck.

On an autocross course you will be fine stock. As evidenced by the scca results for this year.

A road course? Not so much.

Sponsored

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I am amazed nobody talks about the 100lbs weight gain the 1Le went through. The ATS-V went through a similar increase that thePill provided commentary for.

3750lbs is where the 1SS would have been if it were equipped with the 13.79's from the XTS instead of the 13.6/13.4 it uses now.

The 1Le uses the ATS-V's brakes and that's why it's hard to believe a 1Le could beat it. Randy drove an ATS-VTP (3780lbs) with a paddle shifted automatic to a 1:39.65. A Stingray ran a 1:38.2 and the Z51 should be around 1:38 flat...

...this is where fiction begins.

It would be extremely difficult for an LT1 equip'd Camaro to put time on a C7 Stingray OR the Z51 unless it had quality rubber. While I'm sure the Goodyears are "good", I'm not sure the can hang with the Michelin's or not. If the 1Le runs a 1:37.7, it's not from a repave. The GT350R is still a 1:35-1:36 car at Laguna. The z28 ran a 2:50 before, now what? It's 2-3 seconds faster than the R here?

All the confusion surrounds the Camaro's. When you let a z28 run Laguna with 30hp more than stock and set a lap time (and who knows what else), it becomes fiction.

Then we look to the SCCA for Real World results and see a EBPP nearly dethroning the 1LE and costing the '16 SS a championship.

Who is scared and why?
The 1LE is less than 80 pounds heavier. Wider wheels/tires, recaros, bigger brakes, MRC, E-Diff. This is why it's heavier. Not like it magically gained 100 pounds. And btw it still comes in less than the 3,820 you guessed the regular 1SS would weigh. :lol:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
The 1LE is a much better deal than the Z, and *to me* a better deal than the 350. I work at a Chevy Dealership yes. I am passionate about my Chevy products. But working for Ford, or any brand, doesn't make you a good salesman. I sell enough Camaros to put the food on my table ;)
I laugh at enough.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
Do you plan on racing competitively? If so, you are out of luck.

On an autocross course you will be fine stock. As evidenced by the scca results for this year.

A road course? Not so much.
Not competitively but I love hitting corners hard. Couldn't do that with the S197's so that is why I'm interested in the S550's. Ok I could probably say that the base 1SS (~3670 lbs) can beat a GTPP on a road course. But, the SS is using stickier Eagle RF which is much better than the P Zeros and has more power.

I can make more power as well w/ a tune, get Michelin PSS tires, change the springs, add front/rear sway bars and I should be close to the SS!

Change the muffler, get lighter forge rims and that alone will drop 40-60 lbs.. Then, I can have the best of both worlds! :ford:

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Not competitively but I love hitting corners hard. Couldn't do that with the S197's so that is why I'm interested in the S550's. Ok I could probably say that the base 1SS (~3670 lbs) can beat a GTPP on a road course. But, the SS is using stickier Eagle RF which is much better than the P Zeros and has more power.

I can make more power as well w/ a tune, get Michelin PSS tires, change the springs, add front/rear sway bars and I should be close to the SS!

Change the muffler, get lighter forge rims and that alone will drop 40-60 lbs.. Then, I can have the best of both worlds! :ford:
Just remember too, the 1SS and GTPP are about $1,100 difference.

Memphis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS

You can hit the corners hard in a GTPP stock. Those run flats on the Camaro have their weaknesses too.

Looks like you just want an SS if you want to do all that to it just to keep up. :shrug:

JK.

People enjoy what they enjoy. Just know that if you do eventually plan on doing something other than an HPDE then you will not be allowed any engine modifications.

Most of the time they will allow a sway bar change, tires, and wheels. All of which the Camaro can do as well.
Sponsored