Sponsored

'17 GT350 vs '17 Camaro SS 1LE

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
Anyone has seen the yahoo article for the Ford Raptor. They say the truck will have an ecoboost v6 pumping 450 hp and 510 lbft of torque. 510 lbft of torque in a mustang would be a game changer.
Now if they were to put that in an AWD Mustang, it would sure give some GT fans something to think about.
Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I'd buy a 3.5EB Mustang with those stats in a heartbeat (given the funds). I love the V8...I don't love it that much.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Sasuketr,
You're almost certainly correct that this would close the performance gap and I think a lot of guys will entertain this route.

This isn't for everybody though. Some of us recognize the warranty as part of the purchase price. Losing that coverage and adding in the cost of all of these parts (and labor) you're probably getting darned close to a 1LE.

It's interesting to think how these cars will compare five years from now when they're all old cars. The Coyote appears to have the stronger rotating assembly...once nobody is worried about warranty/purchase price, OEM tires, OEM shocks, etc...the conversation will be very different.
What i listed were really low level mods and i don't think it will push the engine to a limit where you have to deal with a warranty claim. You can even save a lot of money going with a pase pp car and adding some light mods to it. You will be left with enough money to even buy a new engine if everything goes south compared to a brand new 1le.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
$4,000-$5,000 off MSRP is going to be a real challenge.

Now, if you were to find a lower mile used GTPP for about..$27,000 or so..upgrade the suspension+Power Pack 2 (not 3 unless you plan on regularly spinning it to 7,500+)..MPSS's or SC2's and leave the 1LE in the dirt for about $7,000.
I took my 2017 gt for invoice otd. I think thats a fine goal.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

That's my plan.. get a GTPP for 4-5k off MSRP.. change out the tires (I think the 275/245 staggered setup is fine) to Michelin PSS, lower it, add spacers to increase the track, rear/front sway bars down the road. With this setup, I believe it will be close to the SS on a road course handling wise.

Power wise, the Power Pack 3 is worth it to close the gap. I'm in total love with the look of the S550 and by adding those components, I can have the best of both worlds. Low-mid 12 sec M6 car than can handle!
You can get GTPP's all day for 5k+ off. I custom ordered mine the day the order banks opened in May 2014 and got $5250 off.
$4,000-$5,000 off MSRP is going to be a real challenge.

Now, if you were to find a lower mile used GTPP for about..$27,000 or so..upgrade the suspension+Power Pack 2 (not 3 unless you plan on regularly spinning it to 7,500+)..MPSS's or SC2's and leave the 1LE in the dirt for about $7,000.
These cars are easily available at 5k off MSRP. Koons Ford on the east coast sells them for 7k+ off. Lots of dealerships accept x-plan, too.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
What i listed were really low level mods and i don't think it will push the engine to a limit where you have to deal with a warranty claim. You can even save a lot of money going with a pase pp car and adding some light mods to it. You will be left with enough money to even buy a new engine if everything goes south compared to a brand new 1le.

Maybe not...but flash your ECU with that lund flex fuel tune and your engine warranty is plausibly out the window (though some dealerships might look the other way if you're lucky).

Just something to factor into the arithmetic.
Don't forget about your ~$1200 for tires...assuming you're keeping the stock wheels.

Going fast costs money! Who knew? :)
Worth every penny, IMO.

From what I gather, the Ford Power Packs don't violate warranty but they're not cheap either. Powerpack 2 which IIRC gets you up to 450+hp (but not much improvement to torque) is something like $1000.

You can get GTPP's all day for 5k+ off. I custom ordered mine the day the order banks opened in May 2014 and got $5250 off.

These cars are easily available at 5k off MSRP. Koons Ford on the east coast sells them for 7k+ off. Lots of dealerships accept x-plan, too.
So it's possible to walk out with a ~31k GTPP? Wow.

I had no idea they were having such a hard time moving cars. That should probably factor into all of the conversations on sales numbers on this forum.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Anyone has seen the yahoo article for the Ford Raptor. They say the truck will have an ecoboost v6 pumping 450 hp and 510 lbft of torque. 510 lbft of torque in a mustang would be a game changer.
Why would you want a truck motor in a Mustang? I'm not sure you understand how HP and torque work. That motor would be great if you want to tow something, and great in a big, heavy vehicle like the Raptor - but not so much for a Mustang. 450 HP is about where the Mustang GT is now, so speed through the 1/4 mile would be essentially equal to the current Mustang GT.

I'd buy a 3.5EB Mustang with those stats in a heartbeat (given the funds). I love the V8...I don't love it that much.
I wouldn't buy a 6 cylinder Mustang unless my car was worn out and no V8 was available in any car anywhere around. I'd buy an older, low miles V8 car before buying a new 6 cylinder Mustang. I'm not saying the car couldn't be fun and/or fast, just that I wouldn't enjoy driving a car with a 6 as much as I enjoy mine with an 8. Most of the time I am on the street commuting or cruising and I need the V8 soundtrack.

And if the Mustang goes to a 6 cylinder only, I'd probably buy a Porsche. The engine noise is the only thing keeping me away from Porsche right now.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Maybe not...but flash your ECU with that lund flex fuel tune and your engine warranty is plausibly out the window (though some dealerships might look the other way if you're lucky).

Don't forget about your ~$1200 for tires...assuming you're keeping the stock wheels.

Worth every penny, IMO.

From what I gather, the Ford Power Packs don't violate warranty but they're not cheap either. Powerpack 2 which IIRC gets you up to 450+hp (but not much improvement to torque) is something like $1000.

I had no idea they were having such a hard time moving cars. That should probably factor into all of the conversations on sales numbers on this forum.
I was actually going for the power pack 2 but i realized its really not worth the money for me since my car already passed 20,000 miles and the amount of gains look funny compared to a reputable tuner. I even have extended warranty on my car but can't wait that long to actually see what it is really capable off. We have people on these forums driving their cars hard on aftermarket tunes with no issues and that gives me some relief. Besides the 5.0 has proven itself to be reliable.

Going fast always costs money and you can make any car go fast. Just enjoy the car and the driving experience.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I was actually going for the power pack 2 but i realized its really not worth the money for me since my car already passed 20,000 miles and the amount of gains look funny compared to a reputable tuner. I even have extended warranty on my car but can't wait that long to actually see what it is really capable off. We have people on these forums driving their cars hard on aftermarket tunes with no issues and that gives me some relief. Besides the 5.0 has proven itself to be reliable.

Going fast always costs money and you can make any car go fast. Just enjoy the car and the driving experience.
I hear you on this. I tuned mine before the warranty was up and I didn't end up having any problems. It's a calculated risk but it's one that can't be ignored. As I said before, this isn't viable path for everyone.

Do you suppose you could get a pro-rated refund on your extended warranty? It might be worth a shot.

As for Powerpack 2 gains being modest compared to other tuners, this may have something to do with Ford not touching the knock sensor settings...or not being willing to go past a certain point with timing advance since they have to protect their warranty business.

My suggestion (take it or leave it) is to tune it for 91 and run 93...or just don't flog it on hot days, don't go WOT in 6th gear, etc...apply a little "mechanical empathy" and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Why would you want a truck motor in a Mustang? I'm not sure you understand how HP and torque work. That motor would be great if you want to tow something, and great in a big, heavy vehicle like the Raptor - but not so much for a Mustang. 450 HP is about where the Mustang GT is now, so speed through the 1/4 mile would be essentially equal to the current Mustang GT.
A 3.5EB Mustang with 450HP and 510 TQ would decimate a current GT in the 1/4 mile..especially if paired to an A10.

I'm talking by a second or more and with at least an extra 3 MPH>

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!

Worth every penny, IMO.

It would be 33000-33500 otd. I added 1500 in options in mine. I didnt want the pp. Was a waste of cash for a drag car build. Mine was 32500 otd with an upgraded paint and recaros as my only option uprades

FocusRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
I find it funny how you use the 12k less when comparing a 1le to a gt350 but not 12k less when comparing a 1le to a z28. Face it. It's a pos Camaro. I can't believe you are a GM car salesman. If you wanted to be a good salesman you should of went to work at a ford dealership. You know, where they sell mustangs.
$60k and under:
The GT350 is the BEST car!
The BMW M2 is a great car.
The FocusRS is an AWESOME car.
The 1LE is a chinsy, cheap, cluasterphobic, impractical, 100% track-focus GovMoPOS.

Just sayin'

Memphis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
$60k and under:
The GT350 is the BEST car!
The BMW M2 is a great car.
The FocusRS is an AWESOME car.
The 1LE is a chinsy, cheap, cluasterphobic, impractical, 100% track-focus GovMoPOS.

Just sayin'
And yet the focus RS will have he most problems out of those

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP

I wouldn't buy a 6 cylinder Mustang unless my car was worn out and no V8 was available in any car anywhere around. I'd buy an older, low miles V8 car before buying a new 6 cylinder Mustang. I'm not saying the car couldn't be fun and/or fast, just that I wouldn't enjoy driving a car with a 6 as much as I enjoy mine with an 8. Most of the time I am on the street commuting or cruising and I need the V8 soundtrack.

And if the Mustang goes to a 6 cylinder only, I'd probably buy a Porsche. The engine noise is the only thing keeping me away from Porsche right now.
I don't think you understand how important that torque is. Let me put it this way, imagine having a higher low end and midrange torque even higher than what a hemi 6.4 or the lt1 can produce and couple that with the agressive gearing. The post above is right. You will gain a second in the quarter mile time plus will have that torque reserved on the road coarse coming out of a turn. It will significantly change the tier and class of the mustang.
Sponsored