Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
FordTechOne......does the safety issue include selling cars with unsafe airbags?....I see lots of 13/14 for sale (including my 13 Boss) at Ford dealers without the "airbag safety issue" remedied.
It's entirely based on the dealer. Most won't sell them; but it's not prohibited by law as far as I know.

Thanks to Takata and Honda, there are 120 million defective airbag inflators on the road today. Ford has recalled all of the vehicles with Takata airbags, but there are still millions of people driving Japanese vehicles every day that are defective but haven't yet been recalled.

If there is an open recall for a Takata airbag, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, but I certainly wouldn't drive it any further than around the block until the airbag is replaced.
Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
They said its not the drive shaft as they tried a new shaft. Checking out the rear 1/2 shafts. I also told them to neutralize the exhaust to make sure its not part of the cause. ;)
My car had 3 driveshafts in it and it never fixed the problem. 1 actually made it worse. The pinion flange and on car balancing finally fixed it. Hard to imagine Ford still hasn't fixed this on the assembly line yet. It's like they are giving a big middle finger to their customers.

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My car had 3 driveshafts in it and it never fixed the problem. 1 actually made it worse. The pinion flange and on car balancing finally fixed it. Hard to imagine Ford still hasn't fixed this on the assembly line yet. It's like they are giving a big middle finger to their customers.
I think its amazing so many of us have the problem but ford still hasn't done anything to correct the issue. My car is a 2016 , and it seems the problem started with many of the 2015 cars.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I think its amazing so many of us have the problem but ford still hasn't done anything to correct the issue. My car is a 2016 , and it seems the problem started with many of the 2015 cars.
best thing we can do is start sharing this thread, posting about the problem on Edmunds, on Ford's social media.

fix this. devote 2-4 guys to this problem, send them around to every dealer that has a problem car, fix the car, log the findings, and get the fucking TSB done.

btw Ford I absolutely love it when Im stuck on some road between 50-70mph. love it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
best thing we can do is start sharing this thread, posting about the problem on Edmunds, on Ford's social media.

fix this. devote 2-4 guys to this problem, send them around to every dealer that has a problem car, fix the car, log the findings, and get the fucking TSB done.

btw Ford I absolutely love it when Im stuck on some road between 50-70mph. love it.
It does seem like the vibration issue is one of the biggest problems plaguing the S550. You would think it would be in Ford's own best interest to get the vibration problem figured out, and at least start with ensuring that every new Mustang coming off the assembly line is right, then get all the ones in the field fixed with some kind of logical approach.

Sponsored

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.
It does seem like the vibration issue is one of the biggest problems plaguing the S550. You would think it would be in Ford's own best interest to get the vibration problem figured out, and at least start with ensuring that every new Mustang coming off the assembly line is right, then get all the ones in the field fixed with some kind of logical approach.
You would think that's the way Ford should but it's all about money.

My 06 6.0 F-250 had a squeak in the roof, I took it in several times along with the turbo issues, In the end I had to fix the roof myself. My 2011 Taurus had front suspension issues, I finally convinced Ford there was an issue after several tries at the dealership and they still couldn't find anything. :lol: I asked them to put the vib equipment on; they then found the lower control arm bushings were shot. My 2013 Taurus has signs of the power steering failure as stated in the recall but ford says my car doesn't fall into the VIN range. I told Ford, just wait until I have an accident, then you can add my vehicle into the recall. :headbonk: As an aircraft tech I'm pretty tuned in to noises and vibrations and my 15 GT has the drive train vib as I mentioned but there is also a faint groan up front. Kind of like a wheel bearing, but when I try load the bearing while driving I can't get it to hum or change pitch. I wonder if the fender liners are rattling. :shrug: I was a GM guy until the late 90's. The issues they had drove me to buy ford. I'm starting to see a similar pattern with Ford. :tsk:

15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Race Red GT 6 speed
Well finally got some info from the idiots at the dealership today. First they told me the diff would be here Tuesday then Wednesday. Never heard nothing so I called at about 4 PM on Wednesday they said let me check with parts to see when it will be. Never heard anything call them this morning. And he said he thinks it may be on back order he'll call me in 30 minutes. Never called me so I called about 5 hours later and they said it wasn't backordered but will take a few more days maybe early next week. Can't wait to get my car back and away from these goons. Good luck with you guys getting complete assemblies hopefully your service department is better than mine.

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well finally got some info from the idiots at the dealership today. First they told me the diff would be here Tuesday then Wednesday. Never heard nothing so I called at about 4 PM on Wednesday they said let me check with parts to see when it will be. Never heard anything call them this morning. And he said he thinks it may be on back order he'll call me in 30 minutes. Never called me so I called about 5 hours later and they said it wasn't backordered but will take a few more days maybe early next week. Can't wait to get my car back and away from these goons. Good luck with you guys getting complete assemblies hopefully your service department is better than mine.
Ive been waiting for my diff to come in since Monday and nothing yet :shrug:
My service advisor said he was going to give me a call today and give me a update so well see, I'm getting really impatient my cars been sitting at the dealer now for almost two weeks.

15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Race Red GT 6 speed
Ive been waiting for my diff to come in since Monday and nothing yet :shrug:
My service advisor said he was going to give me a call today and give me a update so well see, I'm getting really impatient my cars been sitting at the dealer now for almost two weeks.
I know how u feel haha :frusty:

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Yeah, as soon as I can get some spare time I'm going to try fixing this on my car myself. A weekend's effort is small potatoes compared to the amount of time going back and fourth between work and a dealership in Los Angeles that has already been proven to be ignorant.

Sponsored

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
You guys with the vibration

You guys with the vibration, was it there from day one or did it start later? If so, at what mileage did it start?

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
You guys with the vibration, was it there from day one or did it start later? If so, at what mileage did it start?
Day 1 for me.

UncleSmitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow 6MT GT PP
Got mine back from the dealer yesterday, seems to be fixed. There's a bit of noise above 60 but I think it's just road noise now and I'm being picky, it's definitely not the 65mph drone I was getting originally.

Here's the basic text of what they did / found:

Verified drone noise around 62 mph in 6th gear. Can duplicate in stall. Re-orientated driveshaft to attempt to lessen noise- no change. Used MTS4000 electronic vibration analyzer, picked up a 1st order drive line vibe at 62 mph. Suspect drive shaft issue. Visually inspected-nothing abnormal noted. Suspect shaft is static balanced, and within spec. Recommend balancing to vehicle driveline.

Installed magnetic base, photo sensor, and reflective tape on drive shaft. At 62-64 mph in 6th gear the drive shaft RPM is 2832. Removed exhaust system to gain better access to drive shaft. After 5 failed attempts due to photo sensor/magnetic base moving causing false readings and weight being inaccurate - obtained a reading of 7.7 gram centimeters out of balance.

Measured drive shaft circumference- 221mm. Placed test weight on shaft and made recording. Moved weight #1 30mm from center of test weight location, and added weight #2 135mm from center of test weight location. Made another recording- final drive reading 4.2 gram centimeters- within spec. Re-evaluated, drone/vibration at 62 mph no longer present.
Took about 2 days from the time the Ford engineer got to the dealer 'til I got my car back, though they said he had several other vehicles to analyze at the same time.

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
Got my V6 auto back today. Actually took it in this morning and waited. Didn't take long. It's fixed 90% I would say with just a driveshaft. There is still something there, but some of it is the tires, I need to let a couple pounds out, they're at 40psi from winter. It's what I would say is acceptable and at a point that I'll bet almost ALL your cars have that do not exhibit the vibration. Like I said there is some in the wheel at 65-70 but the whole car does not shake and the audible drone is gone. So I can now relax cruising home on the highway, which is all I wanted. I think this problem is varied for all cases. In my case, if some of you remember, my shaft wobbled visibly at the center support. The mechanic who diagnosed and fixed it (who also drives a '14 V6 Mustang) said the new one does not do that. Could it be made better, sure, but I'm not sure it would be easy to achieve. To be honest, I did not think this would fix it as well as it did, just from reading here. But that goes to show how different each car is with this issue. And that's probably why we don't have a TSB. A TSB would have to read.... Replace everything from the transmission back! At this point I'll continue to monitor it and can have them take a look again if need be at next service time. Gotta keep a sense of humor about things. I just don't expect perfection anymore, but I do expect, "good enough". Here's some funny. I parked way in the back at our new facility to keep her safe and I get back to her Friday afternoon to see this. I found it funny.
truck in fence.jpg

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't notice mine for a thousand miles. But it could be that by then I was starting lose the new car mystique and really started to pay attention to what was going on.
Sponsored

Last edited: