Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Got mine back from the dealer yesterday, seems to be fixed. There's a bit of noise above 60 but I think it's just road noise now and I'm being picky, it's definitely not the 65mph drone I was getting originally.

Here's the basic text of what they did / found:
Verified drone noise around 62 mph in 6th gear. Can duplicate in stall. Re-orientated driveshaft to attempt to lessen noise- no change. Used MTS4000 electronic vibration analyzer, picked up a 1st order drive line vibe at 62 mph. Suspect drive shaft issue. Visually inspected-nothing abnormal noted. Suspect shaft is static balanced, and within spec. Recommend balancing to vehicle driveline.

Installed magnetic base, photo sensor, and reflective tape on drive shaft. At 62-64 mph in 6th gear the drive shaft RPM is 2832. Removed exhaust system to gain better access to drive shaft. After 5 failed attempts due to photo sensor/magnetic base moving causing false readings and weight being inaccurate - obtained a reading of 7.7 gram centimeters out of balance.

Measured drive shaft circumference- 221mm. Placed test weight on shaft and made recording. Moved weight #1 30mm from center of test weight location, and added weight #2 135mm from center of test weight location. Made another recording- final drive reading 4.2 gram centimeters- within spec. Re-evaluated, drone/vibration at 62 mph no longer present.
Took about 2 days from the time the Ford engineer got to the dealer 'til I got my car back, though they said he had several other vehicles to analyze at the same time.
Sounds like the Ford engineers knew exactly how to analyze with the vibe analyzing tool and re-balance the driveshaft while it was still on the car.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
You guys with the vibration, was it there from day one or did it start later? If so, at what mileage did it start?
Day one as well. First time I went on the highway at less than 100 miles.

New driveshaft helped a lot, but still some issues. Definitely less in warmer temps, (above 50 deg) maybe the bushings get a little softer. For me the sound and vibration feeling in the handbrake happen at the same time.

I will give the dealer one more shot. I am considering trading in for something else. It is not horrible now but still annoying. I notice it more when I drive something else for a while then come back to this car.

UncleSmitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow 6MT GT PP
Just got back from a ~150 mile cruise and the drone is definitely gone. I'm calling this fixed. Thanks to Deysha and Marie from Ford customer care. Getting the engineer to drive up from Chicago took a fair bit of time and effort, but it was worth it.

Got mine back from the dealer yesterday, seems to be fixed. There's a bit of noise above 60 but I think it's just road noise now and I'm being picky, it's definitely not the 65mph drone I was getting originally.

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Just got back from a ~150 mile cruise and the drone is definitely gone. I'm calling this fixed. Thanks to Deysha and Marie from Ford customer care. Getting the engineer to drive up from Chicago took a fair bit of time and effort, but it was worth it.
Glad to see your issue got fixed , I'm hoping mine does as well

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1

Here's the basic text of what they did / found:

Took about 2 days from the time the Ford engineer got to the dealer 'til I got my car back, though they said he had several other vehicles to analyze at the same time.
That is where I am at. My car was in there for 3 days and while there another customer brought theirs in for the same thing but I was told it was worse than mine. They have someone from Ford coming in to look at the other car and come up with a fix. I got mine back for the weekend and expect it to go back next week and get fixed.

Sponsored

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
Uncle Smitty, do you still have a little vibration in the wheel at 65? Mine does, but the noise is gone. I'm just trying to figure out where "good enough" is with this repair and don't want to shortchange myself.

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
60 mph vibration

My 2016 GT PP has this vibration also right at 60 mph, its slight but is there. I wondered about it, but when I saw this thread I knew I wasn't alone.
500 miles on my car and first time on the highway so it was probably there from day 1. My car had 26 miles on it after I ordered it so whoever drove it didn't notice it or didn't care!

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
Uncle Smitty, do you still have a little vibration in the wheel at 65? Mine does, but the noise is gone. I'm just trying to figure out where "good enough" is with this repair and don't want to shortchange myself.
Vibration in the steering wheel usually isn't from the driveline- most likely tire balance or even certain roads. So, they may have fixed the DL problem and now you notice the tire balance problem more. Ask them to road force balance the tires and see how far out they are or maybe it's a bad tire.

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
I could definitely feel a vibration in my steering wheel before i clocked my drive shaft to stop the vibration. I could feel it in the seat and shifter also but the steering wheel was most noticeable. I may still have a slight vibration not sure, may be just road noise?..I know if its there its to minor for the dealer to feel.

UncleSmitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow 6MT GT PP
No, though my vibe was mostly noise (drone) and not much in the steering wheel. Felt it a bit in the shifter. If you're getting steering wheel vibes I'd get the front wheels checked out, alignment/brakes/balance.

Sponsored

15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Race Red GT 6 speed
My vibration was horrible through my steering wheel and also in my seat. Felt like i was holding a leaf blower haha. And the vibration ended up being a bearing in the rear differential. Vibrations can travel everywhere making it difficult to find and know exactly what it was coming from.

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
Yeah and I've felt tire vibration before, this is higher frequency. But you may be right.

majtom94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Black V6 6SPD Auto
You guys with the vibration, was it there from day one or did it start later? If so, at what mileage did it start?

After 5K miles....after the second time having the tires balanced at a second Ford dealer the vibe is gone.

15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Race Red GT 6 speed
Well got a call from the dealership today! They told me it'll be 7-10 more business days because the rear differential they received doesn't have updated bearings. These guys are a class act.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Well got a call from the dealership today! They told me it'll be 7-10 more business days because the rear differential they received doesn't have updated bearings. These guys are a class act.
Anyone know when the differential bearings were updated during production?

15gt - maybe you can find out from your dealership if they have that information.
Sponsored