Tips for going the FBO route

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
What is your budget for achieving your power goal? If it’s a blank check, then the world is your oyster. If not, then working in stages would be the best way to approach it.

How about labor, are you capable of installing the mods yourself or will you need to hire someone to perform them?
Sponsored

OP
OP
5.0Rooster

5.0Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Slater
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you’re going to run lockouts you’ll need to have them turned off in the tune, so you’re back to needing the tune. My vote is the CAI kit, mid pipe, tb and axle back for now. Buy the intake if it’s in your budget and the IMRC lockout kit and sit on them until you’re absolutely ready for the tune and then do that. Another option to LTHs is this:

https://www.makperformance.com/2015-2023-Mustang-GT-MAK-Performance-Pipes_p_299.html
what’s the purpose of lockouts ? Do I really need them?

OP
OP
5.0Rooster

5.0Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Slater
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What is your budget for achieving your power goal? If it’s a blank check, then the world is your oyster. If not, then working in stages would be the best way to approach it.

How about labor, are you capable of installing the mods yourself or will you need to hire someone to perform them?
It’s not an open check. It would definitely be in stages. I’m capable of installing some mods. Anything exhaust related would be an job for a professional

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You don’t necessarily need them, but the IMRC rods have been known to break over time. That was one of the reasons why I did them on mine, the other was to declutter the back of the IM and allow easier access to the top two tranny bolts for clutch and tranny work. If they ever break on you, you’re gonna pull the IM to add them. They’re cheap enough at around $70, that it just makes sense to do them before you install the new IM.

The supercharger folks can confirm this, but I believe most tuners prefer them to be locked out with a supercharger.

1691356293666.jpeg

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
I agree that boost is 100% the best bang for buck with power. However many N/A modifications will support performance while boosted. If you want boost ASAP, no need to swap intake manifolds, and you could keep the stock cold air. Headers will be the most beneficial, especially making them “free flowing”.
You will make more power boosted with a different intake manifold, but it’s not necessary.
I don’t regret what I’ve done to my car (350 manifold, pmas cold air, long tubes) and it’s definitely been fun, I track my car and I don’t think I’ll pursue boost.
Avoid the cobra jet+cams combo like the plague, that setup will cost the same as boost.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You don’t necessarily need them, but the IMRC rods have been known to break over time. That was one of the reasons why I did them on mine, the other was to allow easier access to the top two tranny bolts for clutch and tranny work. If they ever break on you, you’re gonna pull the IM to add them. They’re cheap enough at around $70, that it just makes sense to do them before you install the new IM.

The supercharger folks can confirm this, but I believe most tuners prefer them to be locked out with a supercharger.

It’s not an open check. It would definitely be in stages. I’m capable of installing some mods. Anything exhaust related would be an job for a professional
Interested in LTHs or staying with factory headers? If sticking with the factory headers, installing a mid pipe and axle back is easy work. If you have access to a lift it’s even easier, otherwise the work will be performed on jack stands which still isn’t that bad.

Just trying to encourage you to avoid paying anyone for anything unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
The “stages” I did were pretty simple and saved me the most money.

1: PMAS tune required cold air, GT350 intake manifold+ OEM throttle body adaptor. *You really shouldn’t buy a different TB, the stock one is sufficient.

2: Kooks long tube headers, O/R connection pipes.

3: Coilovers, swaybar

This was over the span of ~1.5 years with suspension being the latest. I stayed with stage 1 for the longest before changes, it was pretty balanced.

OP
OP
5.0Rooster

5.0Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Slater
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You don’t necessarily need them, but the IMRC rods have been known to break over time. That was one of the reasons why I did them on mine, the other was to allow easier access to the top two tranny bolts for clutch and tranny work. If they ever break on you, you’re gonna pull the IM to add them. They’re cheap enough at around $70, that it just makes sense to do them before you install the new IM.

Interested in LTHs or staying with factory headers? If sticking with the factory headers, installing a mid pipe and axle back is easy work. If you have access to a lift it’s even easier, otherwise the work will be performed on jack stands which still isn’t that bad.

Just trying to encourage you to avoid paying anyone for anything unless it’s absolutely necessary.
I am interested in headers but that would be sometime later

OP
OP
5.0Rooster

5.0Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Slater
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The “stages” I did were pretty simple and saved me the most money.

1: PMAS tune required cold air, GT350 intake manifold+ OEM throttle body adaptor. *You really shouldn’t buy a different TB, the stock one is sufficient.

2: Kooks long tube headers, O/R connection pipes.

3: Coilovers, swaybar

This was over the span of ~1.5 years with suspension being the latest. I stayed with stage 1 for the longest before changes, it was pretty balanced.
Would I need the LU47 injectors with the GT350 Manifold?

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
No, the stock injectors flow plenty for a N/A setup, even with E85. once you go boosted, you'll need bigger injectors.

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
so this is just my opinion since its just a daily for you and staying n/a like i did, but i did gt350 airbox, lu47 injectors, headers and full exhaust and a tune for 93, e 85 and flex, im incredibly happy with how the car runs and drives, puts down decent power for a daily and i dont have any reliability issues. For the gen 2 500 is a stretch to get to at the wheels, combo above is 440-450 ish and intake manifold doesnt gain too much more peak power but will carry power up higher

OP
OP
5.0Rooster

5.0Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Slater
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So for starting out (stage 1) GT350 manifold, 87mm throttle body, and tune required cold air intake? This would leave room for me to do headers and catback later on?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The GT350 manifold is a drop in no tune or lockouts required on a gen 2, as long as you use an adapter for your TB. The PMAS no tune required CAI does make some additional power. You could then add long tubes and make some more. All this without a tune.

Now you could add a tune for E and or get a supercharger.
Sponsored